Reload Thread: blew my aq sdc 2.5 12 today

bmk6795 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: blew my aq sdc 2.5 12 today

Was about 3 weeks old with 10+ hours of play time

Link to Itrader feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1017953

bmk6795 is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Well honestly it still surprises me that it blew even if it was clipping, i ran a kicker compvx on the same amp / hu, but before i know what i know now so i had the gains to the max and bass boost more than halfway up with the hu on full blast, i know it was clipping and it put up with that kind of abuse for 9 months before i sold it, just surprises me that this blew this woofer, with all the kicker bashing i figured this was a much better woofer, guess i needa be more careful next time

Link to Itrader feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1017953

SMS
    SMS is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QueSound15 View Post
    Was the sub brand new? AQ does have a strict break in,and if it was new then maybe that was the case...not letting the spiders and all loosen up. If not then what's been said, clipping, I've seen those subs take 1500 rms, well at least 1000 rms and not break a sweat.

1000w and not break a sweat? how long you play them for?

hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Was the sub brand new? AQ does have a strict break in,and if it was new then maybe that was the case...not letting the spiders and all loosen up. If not then what's been said, clipping, I've seen those subs take 1500 rms, well at least 1000 rms and not break a sweat.
    Because after some magical breaking in ritual a 2.5" coil can dissipate 1500W of heat.....

5. Likes NoKings, Random1010 liked this post
    QueSound15 is offline I know a thing or two....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

About an hour car ride full tilt on a Rockford p1000.1 and it was only a little warm. And he plays it like that on his drives every day and it's still going after 3 months and coil is still looking new. Maybe u didnt get a good one? Idk man.
    And I've seen it done, not saying they can all do that but it's all install and care and know how. No need for the sarcasm hispls.
    But breaking them in is a must because they usually do fail early otherwise. I'm not an expert but that's just what I know and have seen and heard.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

About an hour car ride full tilt on a Rockford p1000.1 and it was only a little warm. And he plays it like that on his drives every day and it's still going after 3 months and coil is still looking new. Maybe u didnt get a good one? Idk man.
    And I've seen it done, not saying they can all do that but it's all install and care and know how. No need for the sarcasm hispls.
    But breaking them in is a must because they usually do fail early otherwise. I'm not an expert but that's just what I know and have seen and heard.
    A 1000watt amp does NOT mean the sub is getting 1000watts. I've run a bunch of SDC setups, usually a 1500watt amp for a pair. Can play them all day long since with box rise they're not seeing a bunch of power.

OP you clipped the sub to death Cut it apart and I'm betting the voicecoil is black and probably unwound. AP amps can easily make dirty power and as pointed out a few times, setting gain about 1/2 way doesn't mean it was a clean signal.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

OP forgot to ask what is your electrical to support that amp? As low voltage will make them even dirtier if gain is too high...

QueSound15 is offline I know a thing or two....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    A 1000watt amp does NOT mean the sub is getting 1000watts. I've run a bunch of SDC setups, usually a 1500watt amp for a pair. Can play them all day long since with box rise they're not seeing a bunch of power.

OP you clipped the sub to death Cut it apart and I'm betting the voicecoil is black and probably unwound. AP amps can easily make dirty power and as pointed out a few times, setting gain about 1/2 way doesn't mean it was a clean signal.
    I know that with box rise it makes it less. But box rise was minimal, set at 1 and rise was to about 1.6-1.7, 14.7 starting volts, 14.4 ending, so it was good voltage and it put out close to 1000. He now has it on the mrp-m2000 at 4 and it's still playing great. But yes, voltage drop will make the signal dirty op, and ap are known for it.

fannin88 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPLaudio View Post
    too much power for the sub. i can rebuild it for you with a beefier coil
    Very curious, for future reference. Whats the best youcan do with a 2.5 15 power wise, and whats a ballpark figure on pricing? Just incase something would ever happen to mine
    Pm me if youd rather.

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdakid View Post
    Gains just under half doesn't ensure no clipping.
    This, all day.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2