Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Looking for new 8/10/12 Inch Sub Recommendations.

gamehawk55 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Looking for new 8/10/12 Inch Sub Recommendations.

Hey everybody,

So currently I have a JL 10W7 in the HO box that I've had for about 4 years now and it's really not hitting like it used to. When I first got it, it was LOUD and it would flex stuff like crazy inside and out of the car. The last couple years though it has become quite a bit less impressive, still gets fairly loud but doesn't flex anything around anymore (besides the headliner a bit lol) and the SQ has gone to hell and doesn't sound good with rock/metal music at all.

So I'm here looking for recommendations for the best new subwoofer setup to fit my needs. I enjoy a lot of SPL but I also want a sub that will hit really HARD and accurately with rock/metal music. The only subs I have really looked at so far is a pair of Sundown Audio SA-8v2's as from what I have seen they can get pretty **** loud and still have excellent SQ. But all I've seen in youtube videos for almost any sub is people playing bass tracks or rap which wont showcase a subs SQ properly so can't tell what they would sound like with other types of music.

I am running an Audison LrX 5.1k rated at 1160W (underrated) on the sub channel. So any recommendations for a dual 8/10/12 inch sub setup that would absolutely KILL my 10W7 in every aspect would be awesome.

Also if anyone has more experience with the SA-8v2's I would really like to know if they're as good as they say and if 2 of them in a good ported box would be better than my 10W7 or not?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me. I really wanna upgrade my system but don't wanna get some subs and end up being disappointed with them. Also money is a factor. One of the reasons I was looking at the SA-8's was because they're only $180 a piece.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Re: Looking for new 8/10/12 Inch Sub Recommendations.

Over 100 views and NOBODY has any recommendations for a new setup for me? haha come on guys anything helps :P

T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    840 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamehawk55 View Post
    Over 100 views and NOBODY has any recommendations for a new setup for me? haha come on guys anything helps :P
    Two SA8v2's in a proper box and properly powered would blow that W7 out of the water in terms of loudness. They probably wouldn't sound QUITE as nice as your W7 used to be, but it would be MORE than adequate for your average listener. Most people would agree that as long as a sub has a relatively flat BL curve and minimal distortion that it's very listenable, and those SA8's fit the bill.

Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5144 Post(s)

yes also the b2 8" sub would be a nice choice as well

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Chevy Blazin' is offline Chevy Blazin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

how about the 3-cadence cvl's that I have for sale on here they are good sq subs. I mainly listened to gospel, R&B, and Blues myself and I was pretty impressed with just 2 of them running off of a zx 750.1 @ 2 ohms

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

What do you want to spend?

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    What do you want to spend?
    I'm probably looking to spend maybe around $500-$700 and that's including the price of getting a box built (aprox. $200)

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5144 Post(s)

if your considering b2 subs ,look up luke paddle on facebook , he's the b2 rep for canada

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 03 Mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    Two SA8v2's in a proper box and properly powered would blow that W7 out of the water in terms of loudness. They probably wouldn't sound QUITE as nice as your W7 used to be, but it would be MORE than adequate for your average listener. Most people would agree that as long as a sub has a relatively flat BL curve and minimal distortion that it's very listenable, and those SA8's fit the bill.
    When you say they might not sound QUITE as good as my W7 used to what exactly do you mean? Because my W7 only ever really sounded good playing rap/dubstep/bass tracks. Pretty much anything with 30-60hz it sounded good (and still does). But 90% of rock/metal music it really lacked. It has almost 0 punch with it. Some songs it gets "kinda" loud with and sounds decent but you throw some As I Lay Dying or anything with 16th notes at it and it just sounds like a muddled mess unless the bands kick drum is tuned super low.

So basically what I'm asking is can the SA-8v2's keep up with that kind of quick bass and do it well with a lot of punch? I know the SA-8v2's can hit the lows pretty **** well for an 8 but I wanna make sure they can keep up with all music seeing as it seems like a sub curved more towards SPL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5144 Post(s)

When you say they might not sound QUITE as good as my W7 used to what exactly do you mean? Because my W7 only ever really sounded good playing rap/dubstep/bass tracks. Pretty much anything with 30-60hz it sounded good (and still does). But 90% of rock/metal music it really lacked. It has almost 0 punch with it. Some songs it gets "kinda" loud with and sounds decent but you throw some As I Lay Dying or anything with 16th notes at it and it just sounds like a muddled mess unless the bands kick drum is tuned super low.

So basically what I'm asking is can the SA-8v2's keep up with that kind of quick bass and do it well with a lot of punch? I know the SA-8v2's can hit the lows pretty **** well for an 8 but I wanna make sure they can keep up with all music seeing as it seems like a sub curved more towards SPL.
    ok now that you have posted this ,i hear where you are coming from now. i listen to the same music rock, metal, and some old school rush as well.my american bass vfl 8's sound great on this type of music and gets low when needed as well ,and at 130 per sub plus shipping ,you can't beat them .

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    ok now that you have posted this ,i hear where you are coming from now. i listen to the same music rock, metal, and some old school rush as well.my american bass vfl 8's sound great on this type of music and gets low when needed as well ,and at 130 per sub plus shipping ,you can't beat them .
    How old is that sub? Because I just looked at their site and they don't even have an 8" woofer listed in any category anymore. The Smallest VFL they have on there is a 12"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

I'm probably looking to spend maybe around $500-$700 and that's including the price of getting a box built (aprox. $200)
    I may have some you would enjoy... They would sound better then your W7 and two would most likely be louder

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    220 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bettr n' Revrse View Post
    I may have some you would enjoy... They would sound better then your W7 and two would most likely be louder
    A recommendation or used? Cuz I would probably rather buy brand new cuz you never know how other people may have treated their subs, like if they've ever accidentally been overdriven or anything or if there is any hidden problems that could kill the sub at any moment haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

A recommendation or used? Cuz I would probably rather buy brand new cuz you never know how other people may have treated their subs, like if they've ever accidentally been overdriven or anything or if there is any hidden problems that could kill the sub at any moment haha.
    They would be new... Feel free to PM me

Western Rep.

mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)

just to throw it out there for ya, i have a pair of ID8 V3's that may fit ur bill. rated for 300W each and they have impressed me quite a bit since ive had them.

Matt

Star Mountain Nuthugger #5
    12" TC9 in 1.39 cubes @30hz
    Boston Acoustics GT-2300 @4 ohms bridged.

Quote Originally Posted by double 07 View Post
    Sub cutout got a little skar on it...dad blamed round over bit bearing came flying off.......LOL.......
    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    A little Skar on it? Was it a B-stock bit?
    Refs:
    bought from Nitefury360, Tallic, SPLaudio X2
    Traded with Marleyskater420

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast