Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: Looking for new 8/10/12 Inch Sub Recommendations.

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Re: Looking for new 8/10/12 Inch Sub Recommendations.

The problem with your frequency response on your music was likely your box. Be sure to design your enclosure around your musical preferences.

Are you sure the sub isn't damaged if its gotten so much worse over time? or are you just ready for something new?

If you're spending up to 700, minus 200 for a box that leaves 500 for subs or 250 per sub and in that price range, I would have to recommend the SSA GCON for a sub that gets loud and sounds good doing it. They will take everything your amp has to give and more if you ever upgrade your power; but they don't "need" it to perform well.

Or if you don't quite want to spend up to the top of your budget, look into the new Alpine Type Rs. Very impressive and once again will take every bit of your amp plus more.

Those would be my recommendations if you really just want to get new subs and both fit your budget.

gamehawk55 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post
    The problem with your frequency response on your music was likely your box. Be sure to design your enclosure around your musical preferences.

Are you sure the sub isn't damaged if its gotten so much worse over time? or are you just ready for something new?

If you're spending up to 700, minus 200 for a box that leaves 500 for subs or 250 per sub and in that price range, I would have to recommend the SSA GCON for a sub that gets loud and sounds good doing it. They will take everything your amp has to give and more if you ever upgrade your power; but they don't "need" it to perform well.

Or if you don't quite want to spend up to the top of your budget, look into the new Alpine Type Rs. Very impressive and once again will take every bit of your amp plus more.

Those would be my recommendations if you really just want to get new subs and both fit your budget.
    I don't think the sub is damaged. I think it may have just been regular wear and tear, like I said I've been running it for over 4 years now I think, and I run it pretty hard at times (I think). And I don't know about the box being the problem or not, the sub has been in the official HO box from JL Audio since the day I bought it. Also I don't know about the SSA's or the Type R's. From all the videos I saw I didn't really see them as being a sub that would really fit my needs. They seem like more of an SQ sub (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm looking for a good sub in my price range that can sound really accurate but also have a crazy amount of SPL and move a lot of air to flex stuff too if it's even possible to have a sub that can do it all haha. Or if you always have to sacrifice SQ to be able to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gamehawk55 View Post
    I don't think the sub is damaged. I think it may have just been regular wear and tear, like I said I've been running it for over 4 years now I think, and I run it pretty hard at times (I think). And I don't know about the box being the problem or not, the sub has been in the official HO box from JL Audio since the day I bought it. Also I don't know about the SSA's or the Type R's. From all the videos I saw I didn't really see them as being a sub that would really fit my needs. They seem like more of an SQ sub (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm looking for a good sub in my price range that can sound really accurate but also have a crazy amount of SPL and move a lot of air to flex stuff too if it's even possible to have a sub that can do it all haha. Or if you always have to sacrifice SQ to be able to do that.
    You have people running subs for that amount of time and more that still perform pretty similar to the day they were purchased.

Don't let that JL HO box fool you. Its nothing special. I'm a JL fan, but that box is a bit of marketing hype. I've heard that some of them have even fallen apart; whether that is true or not, better results can be had from that w7 with a proper box.

In response to the Type R's and SSAs not getting loud; I'm not sure what videos you saw but plenty of people are getting loud with SSA and Alpine. Neither of which is a true SQ sub. Both of which are subs that offer great versatility. What I mean by that is, in a proper enclosure, you could crank the sub and have it flex your entire car, but at the same time you could listen to any type of music and not have it sound like total crap. I know of a few people who've broken into the 150db range with Type Rs.

You ever been in a car with someone who has a system and they seem to only play certain songs or only certain songs sound worth anything? Thats what you don't want. Which is why I recommended the subs I did.

Another option you could look into would be the Sundown SA line. I know, for a fact, that you can find plenty of videos of them getting loud (I even have one myself). They were also designed to have a low amount of distortion to boot.

The custom box will make a world of difference to you once you decide on subs especially if you're used to that w7 in the JL prefab.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another option you could look into would be the Sundown SA line. I know, for a fact, that you can find plenty of videos of them getting loud (I even have one myself). They were also designed to have a low amount of distortion to boot.
    Those are actually the main subs I've been looking at. Specifically the new SA-8v2's (2 of them). I've never actually heard them in person but I've heard that they are pretty amazing little subs and that 2 of them in the "proper" enclosure would murder my W7 any day of the week. But at the same time if I do go with Sundown's SA line I don't know if I should go with the 8's (v2's) or the older SA-12's. I also don't have the biggest amount of trunk space to work with. I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT. It has a decent amount of space once something is inside but it's actually getting it IN there is the tricky part haha. For example that JL HO box I almost couldn't get it in because the opening to the trunk is so tight. So I don't even know if a proper box for 2 SA-12's could be built that would actually fit haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Those are actually the main subs I've been looking at. Specifically the new SA-8v2's (2 of them). I've never actually heard them in person but I've heard that they are pretty amazing little subs and that 2 of them in the "proper" enclosure would murder my W7 any day of the week. But at the same time if I do go with Sundown's SA line I don't know if I should go with the 8's (v2's) or the older SA-12's. I also don't have the biggest amount of trunk space to work with. I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT. It has a decent amount of space once something is inside but it's actually getting it IN there is the tricky part haha. For example that JL HO box I almost couldn't get it in because the opening to the trunk is so tight. So I don't even know if a proper box for 2 SA-12's could be built that would actually fit haha.
    Then go between the two. Go with two SA 10s.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Then go between the two. Go with two SA 10s.
    But aren't the SA-8v2's technically better than the SA-10's and possibly get just as loud as them in the right box? I just wish there was an SA-10v2 or SA-12v2 then the decision would be simple haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

But aren't the SA-8v2's technically better than the SA-10's and possibly get just as loud as them in the right box? I just wish there was an SA-10v2 or SA-12v2 then the decision would be simple haha.
    You could put v272861 if u want to, cone area advantage will still be there. Similar if not more motor strength on the 10s as well.

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Incriminator Audio has distribution in Canada for a fair price. I wouldn't try to do used unless you have a US address you can have things shipped to and pick up in person. Shipping woofers to Canada would be monsterously expensive.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hispls View Post
    Incriminator Audio has distribution in Canada for a fair price. I wouldn't try to do used unless you have a US address you can have things shipped to and pick up in person. Shipping woofers to Canada would be monsterously expensive.
    Yeah I've got a buddy up here that says Incriminator is really good too. Although I think it might be a little bit on the pricey side for me. And also I have nowhere near enough power to properly drive the IA's cuz I've heard those things can take a metric *** ton of power and I don't think my Audison 5.1K would quite cut it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I think I've nailed my choices down to 2 options. Either 2 sundown SA-8v2's or 2 SA-12's (if they will fit). Now obviously the 12s will be a lot louder and I will FEEL a lot more bass too over the 8s. But I'm wondering do the 8s have a big SQ advantage or can the 12s still sound just as good as the 8s while getting insanely loud? Maybe Jacob would like to chime in on this? :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

No noticeable sq advantage with the 8s

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

contacy mach 5 and get some custom subwoofers built

iST Ltd.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2