Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

sub is buzzing, please help

I recently installed an 8" in a custom box to go inside my center console (see pic), it sounds great EXCEPT it bumps against the center console's plastic grill and since the sub is a little bigger than the grill and not perfectly centered, it bumps against the inside of the center console a little; this causes a really annoying buzz.

I recessed the sub inside the box, but it still sticks out a bit. The sub has a rubber gasket that covers the mounting holes, I'm not sure if that's helping or adding to this problem.

I can't rebuild the box, what is the best way to fix this? I know that when I stick my hand on the grill and apply some pressure, the buzzing stops. Should I tighten the grill down onto the sub? Or should I use some rubber pegs or something inside to try and push the grill further away from the sub and create some space for it to move?

Thanks, everyone has been real helpful as I've progressed through this install, I'm almost there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sub is buzzing, please help-imag0178.jpg  

its10v1 is offline The Caped Rock-Head

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

Re: sub is buzzing, please help

If the grill is the problem, I'd vote to eliminate the grill...or swap it for a metal one with a rubber gasket.

Another possibility is to add rubber feet to separate the sub from the grill as you suggested.
    Good luck, hope I helped.

Team Starr Mountain Nuthugger #4
    Bought From: outsideshot23, bigguy2010, SAZCLASSD, centergod79, SPLaudio, JCRF71, Vertex Audio, assassin1840, woofercooker, double 07
    Sold To: ChucklezZ, Davecub14
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Sedan: (2) C&D 102AH Trunk Batteries, Needs Big 3
    Sub stage: Custom SPLaudio 12" DC Lvl 5 m1 motor Dual 2-Ohm
    Box: 1.75ft^3 ported @ 31hz
    Sub Amp: Cadence ZRS C5 (5,100w RMS 1-Ohm @ 14.4v)

horford is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Thanks, but removing the grill would mean hacking up the center console. I don't want to lose the stock look or advertise that I have that sub in there.

Would tightening the console/grill down onto the face of the sub be a bad idea? This would be the easiest thing to do, and it seems like it would work just from when I was fiddling around with my hand to eliminate the buzzing sound. I'm guessing not letting the sub fully flex is probably a bad idea, but i'm just not sure.

*Ace* is offline Subwooferologist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by horford View Post
    Thanks, but removing the grill would mean hacking up the center console. I don't want to lose the stock look or advertise that I have that sub in there.

Would tightening the console/grill down onto the face of the sub be a bad idea? This would be the easiest thing to do, and it seems like it would work just from when I was fiddling around with my hand to eliminate the buzzing sound. I'm guessing not letting the sub fully flex is probably a bad idea, but i'm just not sure.
    I wouldn't let the grill touch the sub if possible. Have you ever tried fiber glassing? If so you can just hack the grill off and glass it to your specifications.

2011 Honda Civic Coupe
    Kenwood DDX419
    Image Dynamics CXS62 v.2 powered by an Audioque 200.2
    (2) Sundown SA 12" powered by an Audioque 1200D

horford is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Yes, i've fiberglassed a little. I ended up squeezing some rubber pads between the console and the floorboard (on the speaker side), and the buzzing stopped for the most part. If I turn the bass way up, the sub rattles off the console's grill a little, but 95% of the time I have the bass set at a moderate level...so it's all good. thanks man.

Sleeklsc is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    834 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by horford View Post

I can understand wanting to keep the stock look but it's in the center console half covered by the seat. Just get a stock/plain looking grill and be done with it.

Ref's:1. Midwestcustoms 1.5. Desertheat 2. Mjbailey 3. Terryracing86 4. Sickmint79 5. Untouchable11 6. mattj 7. Ssweet96 8. Kool9accord 9.Kristinspapi10. Kmhogan224 11. Alpine3612 -x3- 12. Vectork39 13. Livinlife 14.Chriscivic 15. Violentraptor 16. Ricky616 17. Bassaddictj 18.orioles26 19.Khail19 20. jak3th3snak311 21. Myjaja 22. Springy101 x2 23. Ali1 24. Privatepastry 25. Plus about 10+ more..

Closed Thread