Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Not really sure if my subs sound as good as they should..

rbtrucking is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not really sure if my subs sound as good as they should..

I have 2 Diamond audio D6 12's running off a Memphis MCD 1100 amp hooked to a Pioneer AVH p4300dvd headunit it sounds pretty good for the most part but the subs seem to be lacking in the low end. The box I have is a custom built tuned to 35 hz 3.5 cu ft shared enclosure. I never really had much to compare it to except for my Velodyne 15 inch home theater sub which hits the low end like a monster I thought maybe it gets the lower end so much better because its a 15 but recently my brother got a 8 inch Energy sub and that thing seems to hit the lower end better than my 2 12's. Is it just different with car audio? They do have very punchy bass but like I say when it comes to really deep notes they seem to be really lacking. Any advice on how to fix this? Is the amp I am running any good? Could it be the box?

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD
    Boston Acoustic-SR50 front stage
    JL audio Slash 150/2 powering comps
    Memphis MCD-1100 powering subs
    2 Diamond audio d6 12 inch dvc 4 ohm Custom enclosure by 187 Audio "We Kill The Competition" Your Custom Enclosure Headquarters ‎1" baffle, spine bracing, tuned to 35 hz

eddie_93 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Not really sure if my subs sound as good as they should..

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrucking View Post
    I have 2 Diamond audio D6 12's running off a Memphis MCD 1100 amp hooked to a Pioneer AVH p4300dvd headunit it sounds pretty good for the most part but the subs seem to be lacking in the low end. The box I have is a custom built tuned to 35 hz 3.5 cu ft shared enclosure. I never really had much to compare it to except for my Velodyne 15 inch home theater sub which hits the low end like a monster I thought maybe it gets the lower end so much better because its a 15 but recently my brother got a 8 inch Energy sub and that thing seems to hit the lower end better than my 2 12's. Is it just different with car audio? They do have very punchy bass but like I say when it comes to really deep notes they seem to be really lacking. Any advice on how to fix this? Is the amp I am running any good? Could it be the box?
    Your amp is good. Where did you get your box from? What you need is a box designed and built for your specific subs as well as how you want them to sound. I'm no expert on designing but your tuning seems slightly high and port area and volume could be off. @double 07 ; is a good designer/builder from what I have seen.

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X494
    Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs components on Sony Mobile ES XM-5046
    Sundown SA12 in 2 cubes @ 33hz on Kicker ZX750.1
    Rockford 4 awg/ Big 3 in Scosche 4 awg
    Audio Technix 60 mil deadener
    Bought from: SkarAudio Sold to: VanLan

3. Thanks rbtrucking thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eddie_93 View Post
    Your amp is good. Where did you get your box from? What you need is a box designed and built for your specific subs as well as how you want them to sound. I'm no expert on designing but your tuning seems slightly high and port area and volume could be off. @double 07 ; is a good designer/builder from what I have seen.
    Ya the tuning is not what diamond audio recommended. They wanted 40hz and 1.7cu ft of air space but the guy that designed my box said they would sound a lot better the way the box is tuned now. He also said 35 hz is like a sweet spot for tuning where you get great punchy bass and really good lows. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD
    2 Diamond audio d6 12 inch dvc 4 ohm Custom enclosure by 187 Audio "We Kill The Competition" Your Custom Enclosure Headquarters ‎1" baffle, spine bracing, tuned to 35 hz

DFW40 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What kind of car do you have and which way is the box pointing. 35 hz is a pretty good all around tuning for most applications but it the car especially trunks can really dictate the way it sounds. Also make sure you have all processing off on your HU like bass boost or eq or "loud" button on as these usually boost around 40 hz if not higher.

6. Thanks rbtrucking thanked for this post
    brandinooooo is offline Woot Woot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The volume might be ok but you should've went a little lower on the tuning. 30-32 would have been better for the low end, maybe a little lower even. How big is your port, x in. by y in. ?

HU - Kenwood KDC-HD545u
    Front Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Rear Stage - Stock
    Amp -
    Sub - HDC318 6cuft tuned to 35
    Amp - Audiopipe 1500d

MY BUILD LOG - http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/526429-02-tahoe-aq-build.html

8. Thanks rbtrucking thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also how old are the subs are they broken in is the weather cold? New subs in a cold box can reduce low end.

10. Thanks rbtrucking thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HAVINGFUN View Post
    What kind of car do you have and which way is the box pointing. 35 hz is a pretty good all around tuning for most applications but it the car especially trunks can really dictate the way it sounds. Also make sure you have all processing off on your HU like bass boost or eq or "loud" button on as these usually boost around 40 hz if not higher.
    Its a 06 hyundai sonata. The subs are facing the tail lights. I might actually have bass boost enabled I gotta double check also the subs are definitely broken in ive had em for a good year the reason im questioning is like I say my bro recently got a new 8 inch home theater sub and it seems to hit lower. Also yes the weather is getting cold where I live.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Home theater subs are meant go down to 15-20 hz but lack any real punch. I would not compare the two if I were you. Borrow someone's sub and put it in your car and try that to see if there is a difference. You set up should have pretty good lows and solid punch but not crazy loud lows those usually are in slightly bigger boxes tuned around 28 hz. For all around music 35 hz is a pretty good tuning maybe 32-33 but most music will sound good on your subs I would think. Good for kick drums.

13. Thanks rbtrucking thanked for this post
    Likes rbtrucking liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HAVINGFUN View Post
    Home theater subs are meant go down to 15-20 hz but lack any real punch. I would not compare the two if I were you. Borrow someone's sub and put it in your car and try that to see if there is a difference. You set up should have pretty good lows and solid punch but not crazy loud lows those usually are in slightly bigger boxes tuned around 28 hz. For all around music 35 hz is a pretty good tuning maybe 32-33 but most music will sound good on your subs I would think. Good for kick drums.
    Ya like you say they definitely do have very good punch. Ill definitely check into what your saying. I really appreciate the input. I had a feeling home subs were tuned much lower.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD

Closed Thread