Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Pure Cone Area vs Motor

DJSmooth245 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pure Cone Area vs Motor

This is something that ive seen over plenty of threads. Most say pure cone area prevails...there is no replacement for displacement..ive been hearing that since ive been in the Car Tuning world. A statement been held true through many applications. But then there are the few times to where motor force or just not enough displacement replaced one sub.

For Example:

1 Kicker Solo X 12"
    Vs
    2 Kicker Comp 15"s

I highly believe that those comps will not outperform regardless of what box they are in...maybe if the solo x is in a horrible box maybe.....

I understand that Enclosure as well as wattage plays a major role in determining something like this....but to me i dont think its that cut and dry that more cone area means its louder. This is all speculation as well as curiosity. Instead of posting multiple "versus" threads..i figure whenever my curiosity sparked id post it here. And any others that have questions on the same concept. Theres no way that this will or has to be a sticky...but im pretty positive that itll help other noobs as well as just the curious with their setup or future setups.

My first one i have a question about.

1 Kicker L3 12" or 2 Kicker Comp 10"s? 600w of 2ohm power. comps are not mine as i was asked by a buyer which would be louder. L3 is in a 5cu ft ported box

Sub Bass Woofrz is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Pure Cone Area vs Motor

5 cubes on 12 inch sub seems pretty big...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah...it was originally for a L7 back in the gap but that was the only box i had laying around for it besides some kicker prefab and a normal prefab and they both top out below 3cubes too small for what i wanted...but which u think would be louder?

dragnix is offline LXIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

You're also forgetting coils, spider, cone material which can all plays into a sub's performance. That box will have the 12 hitting the lows for sure

Got a pm regarding my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic
    please change it to something non-******. thankyou.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well yes of course like i said..things play a part but the most things i hear are oh 2 12s are better than 1 15 because of pure cone area...but ur telling me 2 12 comps will outbass 1 15 solo x??? that concept isnt true all the time. i feel thats only the case when subs are within performance range of each other EX: Comps to Cvr, E to SA, SSA Gcon to SSA XCON etc

and yeah it hits the lows trust me..lol even tho i dont use it. im selling it.

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Power compression should also be taken into consideration.

CarAudio.com mod(original)

Phoenix Risen is offline OG.... Original Ginger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

it should also be taken into account that most of the drivers mentioned are crap, at the end of the day there is only one real way to know, and that is hands on experience. so play around with as much equipment as possible and get a feel for different things. it can also depend on if the vehicle has the space available for the larger cone area.

R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

nu2spl is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

dude its not that simple cone area vs motor force is only about 25% of the equation,you can not just use those two points of math and get an answer.i fully understand what you are saying and trying to do,but its not possible with only those two points.

bought from: wccoug21 sundownz thegreatestpenn loudwhat? woofercooker jonny101abc spooney fasfocus00

sold to: jpx18 Nateberrier Ge_off_me spm_215 2lo2flo akheathen etm34 djjdnap jfroghobo traded: SPLaudio Zeuslicious

under construction:
    1992 Toyota Paseo(1) Pioneer DEH-P500UB head unit(2)American Bass VFL 500.1 amps(4) stinger batteries,building 2 10's in tubes

Bear gri11z is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Take 2 12s on 1k
    (Perfectly built box)

And 1 15 on 1k
    Perfect built box aswell

See which one wins

Even if that 15 is a level 5 and the 12s are sa-12s its on the same power

Xmax also is a part of it

ace_800 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Bass Woofrz View Post
    5 cubes on 12 inch sub seems pretty big...
    My 12" XXX is in 5^3

Current set up: 2010 Buick Enclave, 2 12" MMATS PROCASTS 2.5@35, MMATS D200HC
    Hertz 165XL comps in front door, Alpine 1507 bridged
    Pioneer Z150bt Nav, Audio Technix all around.

66 Pontiac GTO, modified stock radio, Crossfire CFA 302, Kicker KS6.2's in the front kicks, Crossfire CFA 452 for the 6x9's I need.

itsblown is offline why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

its very hard to only take cone area in motor force into consideration but I always be a firm believer in more cone area.. It takes a lot for less cone area to be louder than more cone area

12. Likes DJSmooth245 liked this post
    gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Really you don't want to look at simply cone area, but Vd, volume displaced. That takes Xmax into account as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/578701-1999-chevrolet-blazer.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nu2spl View Post
    dude its not that simple cone area vs motor force is only about 25% of the equation,you can not just use those two points of math and get an answer.i fully understand what you are saying and trying to do,but its not possible with only those two points.
    i wasnt only focusing on two pure points....those are just the two i mentioned...again..i know it focuses on multiple multiple things...but not everyone focuses on those multiple things...if i say hey...which is louder....2 10s or 1 12 of Sub X...most will say righ toff the bat get the 2 10s theyll be louder because of cone area...and if it isnt that cut and dry why answer it that way?? ya kno?

Quote Originally Posted by Bear gri11z View Post
    Take 2 12s on 1k
    (Perfectly built box)

And 1 15 on 1k
    Perfect built box aswell

See which one wins

Even if that 15 is a level 5 and the 12s are sa-12s its on the same power

Xmax also is a part of it

My question is...which would be louder in this scenario? the 12s because of pure cone area? seems like thats the answer ill get most

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Risen View Post
    it should also be taken into account that most of the drivers mentioned are crap, at the end of the day there is only one real way to know, and that is hands on experience. so play around with as much equipment as possible and get a feel for different things. it can also depend on if the vehicle has the space available for the larger cone area.
    and yeah i figured but my thing is..some people are just plain curious before they buy. they dont have too many shops that play the subs before you buy...so the first thing that pops into mind is....if these woofers are from the same brand...why get one big expensive one when i can get two cheap ones? would the cheaper ones be louder? if so why make the expensive one at all? all these questions come to mind when purchasing car audio to noobs....experts would ask themselves. Have i heard good reviews on this? How much power am i working with? Is big 3 needed for this? things that the ordinary buyer wouldnt consider right off the bat. and most answers that are given to fresh noobs are around the idea that....more cone area is louder than less cone area regardless of the sub..when that isnt true...like all you guys are saying it should be more than just motor force and cone area....but thats the point ive been trying to make this whole time.....why narrow it down to.."oh this sub is louder because of cone area" when thats not 100% the answer...im looking for a more detailed answer and more of a pros n cons list

nu2spl is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

[QUOTE=DJSmooth245;8251546]i wasnt only focusing on two pure points....those are just the two i mentioned...again..i know it focuses on multiple multiple things...but not everyone focuses on those multiple things...if i say hey...which is louder....2 10s or 1 12 of Sub X...most will say righ toff the bat get the 2 10s theyll be louder because of cone area...and if it isnt that cut and dry why answer it that way?? ya kno?

umm they would answer that way because they dont know any better,or they think thats all there is to it,either way they dont know what they are talking about.i used to be one of those guys,until i had a 30 year car audio veteran school me on how it really works

bought from: wccoug21 sundownz thegreatestpenn loudwhat? woofercooker jonny101abc spooney fasfocus00

sold to: jpx18 Nateberrier Ge_off_me spm_215 2lo2flo akheathen etm34 djjdnap jfroghobo traded: SPLaudio Zeuslicious

under construction:
    1992 Toyota Paseo(1) Pioneer DEH-P500UB head unit(2)American Bass VFL 500.1 amps(4) stinger batteries,building 2 10's in tubes

itsblown is offline why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

In most cases more cone area will be louder, the only time that wont be true is if your comparing garbage woofers to something really good. Like if you were comparing 2 12s to 1 15 the 15 would have to have atleast double the xmax and a **** ton of motor force to louder than the 2 12s

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast