Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    819 Post(s)

Re: Pure Cone Area vs Motor

Quote Originally Posted by itsblown View Post
    In most cases more cone area will be louder, the only time that wont be true is if your comparing garbage woofers to something really good. Like if you were comparing 2 12s to 1 15 the 15 would have to have atleast double the xmax and a **** ton of motor force to louder than the 2 12s
    I -somewhat- agree with this statement.

Usually, if you're having this argument, you end up comparing two -not so good- drivers to some thing that's pretty-well built. You're trying to compare motor force to cone area, so in order to have greater motor force, you end up needing to compare something like the Solo X to the Comps. Two total opposite ends of the spectrum. I, personally, think that the Solo X would outplay those comps in the correct box. That's not only relevant to the 'Motor force v. cone area' debate, but simply because the Solo X was the best that Kicker had to offer.

Besides, I don't like the whole 'cone area is king' saying. Though it may have more technical cone area, a 15" square driver isn't going to automatically produce more output than a 15" round driver.

I think more people just need to realize that there is no one factor that will get you a great sub. Pure cone area will not make your sub loud, nor will pure motor force. It's a composition of probably hundreds of factors that get you a nice-sounding, overall well-performing subwoofer setup.

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.K. View Post
    Careful, by those definitions Spider Monkey is a contributing member, I don't think he even knows what a subwoofer is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truman View Post
    Thanks quackhead. Your the only person who agrees with me. Jesus Christ I have like 40 post and I've been called a ******* like 37 times

2. Likes its10v1, DJSmooth245 liked this post

DJSmooth245 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

^^^ and thats def the point im trying to make. when comparing across brand models..it shouldnt be so cut and dry as more cone area is king....everything you stated above should be clearly stated to noobs because if not...everyone will figure more is better all the time and 90% of setups will be trashy

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

MTX 9500 15" OR 2 KICKER L7 10....both in ported box..i have enough space for both...now in optimal enclosures which would be better overall for pure spl down low?

btw 9500 has a 4" voice coil

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    946 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJSmooth245 View Post
    MTX 9500 15" OR 2 KICKER L7 10....both in ported box..i have enough space for both...now in optimal enclosures which would be better overall for pure spl down low?

btw 9500 has a 4" voice coil
    MTX 9500

More cone area and motor force lol

Plus you can rebuild the motor to something even better.

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

lol nice reference. but as far as rebuilding subs...i dont even have the slightest clue as to how that is even done..lol

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)

so.....this guy on craigslist messages me and tries to tell me that i am wrong when stating that Two kicker L7s will outhit a circle 15. I told him that in the correct enclosure the 2 10s will out hit it given the cone area as well as low hz. he said that his circle 12 was running off 3k power and would prolly outhit 2 SQUARE 10s. Again i told him he was mistaken. More power does not equate to being louder...its all in the enclosure. and given the obvious cone area in this situation and enclosure..the only way the 12 will win is by a better enclosure and being made properly without any cheap parts. so all in all the 10s SHOULD hit harder but thats on a regular basis...when switching to heavy duty subs and big fkers..then the whole aspect changes.....

The dude wasnt even interested in the subs..he just emailed me to "call me out" and turns out he was wrong..lol craigslisters these days!!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2