User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Reload Thread: Adding 6.5" subs to the rear doors?

sjv13 is offline StayStrange

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Adding 6.5" subs to the rear doors?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    I bet it's a crossover setting. Even tuned to 33, you should be able to get proper "rock music" response (mid 40hz and 65hz) quite easily. Make sure your low-pass is at like 80hz, or 63hz with a very gradual slope (3/6). Mid drivers should be able to be crossed at 100 or 120 and the two should meet well causing no loss in output between your subs and mids.
    Already solved the problem. Thanks though. Just used the wrong line on the + sign to set the HPF for the woofers.

Kingstroker is offline Mr Dique

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjv13 View Post
    So maybe I should just turn up the gains and dial down every frequency above 200hz?

Where this guy's doors deadened to heck? Or did he have some pods or baffles or anything?

I have a foam strip around the 6.5" in my front doors, but I couldn't really notice a difference when I did it, and that's the only thing I've done to the doors except put the new speakers in them. Maybe I need some heavier foam? I used open cell. And I'm not completely sure it's enough to go the whole way between the speaker and door panel. It was a pretty half-assed attempt at getting better midbass response out of the Focals.
    only deadened, if your door is mostly sealed with deadener you might not need the foam seal

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright guys. I'm an idiot. I cant believe I didnt realize this before, and I dont really even want to post this here. It all makes sense now. I went to the speaker amp to turn the gain up and took a look at the other settings. I gave them all a turn and set them back to normal just to check them. When I came across the HPF screw, I was amazed. I had used the wrong line of the + sign to set it. So instead of being set at 90hz, it was set at 450hz. I cant believe what I was missing! It's been like this since I installed this amp (so about a month). I used an alpine power pack that did 45x4 prior to this amp so I never really got that good midbass response out of my speakers. And it's no wonder I was a little disappointed when I put in the Polk amp expecting it to really bring my Focals to life, the HPF was wayyyy high. Hahah. Oh jeeze. The missing frequencies have been found! Sorry for taking your time, I feel so stupid. But I am still thinking about putting the JLs in. If my Focals can do what they are doing now, I can only imagine how much better it would be with dedicated midbass woofers.

Thanks for your help guys! (especially @neo_styles )
    Glad you found the problem. And I doubt you need to add speakers in the rear. Just look at some of the install jobs people have done on front stages to get an idea of what you need to do. Especially look at Keep_Hope_Alive's build log, I think it's a Civic. That guy knows what he's doing. You do some work up front, and I'm fairly certain you will be happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Glad you found the problem. And I doubt you need to add speakers in the rear. Just look at some of the install jobs people have done on front stages to get an idea of what you need to do. Especially look at Keep_Hope_Alive's build log, I think it's a Civic. That guy knows what he's doing. You do some work up front, and I'm fairly certain you will be happy with it.
    If that's the guy that has the deadening sticky thread then I've read his post multiple times. I'm just a little leery of using something like dynamat because of the cost and I dont know how much I will notice it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that's the guy that has the deadening sticky thread then I've read his post multiple times. I'm just a little leery of using something like dynamat because of the cost and I dont know how much I will notice it.
    Use Audio Technix or Knu, they are good. There's others as well that are cheaper/better than Dynamat. You will notice it. How much are those JL's? Deadening is probably cheaper than those two.

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use Audio Technix or Knu, they are good. There's others as well that are cheaper/better than Dynamat. You will notice it. How much are those JL's? Deadening is probably cheaper than those two.
    The JLs can be had for $260. How much do you think I would need to cover two doors and a rear hatch? Would it be worth having someone who knows what they're doing do it for me?

wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Already solved the problem. Thanks though. Just used the wrong line on the + sign to set the HPF for the woofers.
    Yeah, read about it after I posted and work was crazy unable to edit or add to my post. Glad you solved the problem. From where you had it set before, I bet you've picked up a ton of music.

Stupid Loud.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    Yeah, read about it after I posted and work was crazy unable to edit or add to my post. Glad you solved the problem. From where you had it set before, I bet you've picked up a ton of music.
    haha yeah. Tell me about it. It's like I got a 3 times better system for free!

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The JLs can be had for $260. How much do you think I would need to cover two doors and a rear hatch? Would it be worth having someone who knows what they're doing do it for me?
    For doors and a hatch, you'd probably only need about 20 sqft and you'd still have some left over to run through again. Another option to look at is RaaMat which can be had for super cheap (RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products). Just talk to Rick by email and he should be able to set you up well. I was looking at 140 for CLD/MLV and that was enough to do more than you're looking for.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    For doors and a hatch, you'd probably only need about 20 sqft and you'd still have some left over to run through again. Another option to look at is RaaMat which can be had for super cheap (RAAMaudio - Automotive sound deadening products). Just talk to Rick by email and he should be able to set you up well. I was looking at 140 for CLD/MLV and that was enough to do more than you're looking for.
    Yep, this^^^. I do like the AT stuff as well. That's like $120 at most for any deadener/CLD/MLV that you might need, then you can spend some time and a small amount of money on proper install. Might need some foam, fiberglass, things like that that won't add up to much, but will sound great when done well.

Do it yourself. That's what this hobby is all about right? Deadener is super easy to do, and the fiberglass and building pods and all that sounds hard, but really isn't, just takes a bit of time the first couple times you do it. It pays off in the end.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, this^^^. I do like the AT stuff as well. That's like $120 at most for any deadener/CLD/MLV that you might need, then you can spend some time and a small amount of money on proper install. Might need some foam, fiberglass, things like that that won't add up to much, but will sound great when done well.

Do it yourself. That's what this hobby is all about right? Deadener is super easy to do, and the fiberglass and building pods and all that sounds hard, but really isn't, just takes a bit of time the first couple times you do it. It pays off in the end.
    So what do you recommend I do? All I've done is add the foam around the speakers to form a type of seal between them and the door panel (not pictured).

I'll upload a pic when I get to a computer. I'm at school right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adding 6.5" subs to the rear doors?-image.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what do you recommend I do? All I've done is add the foam around the speakers to form a type of seal between them and the door panel (not pictured).

I'll upload a pic when I get to a computer. I'm at school right now.
    Wow, that door actually looks pretty sealed. Ideally you want to completely seperate the front and rear waves of the speaker, which means no holes in the doors. You will want to deaden your doors, that will make a difference. I suggest you read around at the different front stage complete builds like the one I mentioned by @keep_hope_alive , see why they did what they did, and see how much work you really want to put into it. I am not the expert on front stage, or anything for that matter, and will be the first to admit it, but those that are have typed things up about what you should do and why. Do some searching around on here, you'll find a lot.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that door actually looks pretty sealed. Ideally you want to completely seperate the front and rear waves of the speaker, which means no holes in the doors. You will want to deaden your doors, that will make a difference. I suggest you read around at the different front stage complete builds like the one I mentioned by @keep_hope_alive , see why they did what they did, and see how much work you really want to put into it. I am not the expert on front stage, or anything for that matter, and will be the first to admit it, but those that are have typed things up about what you should do and why. Do some searching around on here, you'll find a lot.
    Alright. And yeah, that's the reason I wasnt sure how much deadener would help me because tbh, my doors are already pretty heavy and solid (not to mention my whole car) and they close with a nice thunk. But the main reason to deaden with some type of mat is to stop the metal from "resonating" right? Things that I dont necessarily hear happening right now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright. And yeah, that's the reason I wasnt sure how much deadener would help me because tbh, my doors are already pretty heavy and solid (not to mention my whole car) and they close with a nice thunk. But the main reason to deaden with some type of mat is to stop the metal from "resonating" right? Things that I dont necessarily hear happening right now?
    Correct. Reduce vibrations, basically lower (try to eliminate) the resonating frequency of the door panels.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct. Reduce vibrations, basically lower (try to eliminate) the resonating frequency of the door panels.
    Will doing this make me "feel" it more when the midbass hits? That's really what I'm after.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast