Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Advantages of 'super' woofer

ShowtimeCrAudio is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Advantages of 'super' woofer

The new Sundown woofers being designed, like the Z v4, do seem like they are geared more towards high excursion capabilities. This would make them best suited for high powered, low frequency music. Which is the trend most "Ground Pounders" are shooting for these days.
    It seems like a perfect fit to me.

Ed Lester
    I am a dealer/Distributor of Car Audio
    I have a nice little Youtube show on my channels ShowtimeSPL and Showtimecaraudio
    I have been an SPL competitor since 1995

cdc351jeferson is offline Premium Member cdc351jeferson is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hcivic91 View Post
    Good points all.
    I am a quality guy in many aspects of life. I save to purchase quality: furniture, clothes, shoes, watches etc. It is easier to judge the relative benefits of thing like shoes when you can handle both simultaniously. Such is not the case with subs, I can't demo them particularly cereris paribus. This is my attempt to understand the value proposition both provide and buy accordingly.
    most of the time in car audio more expensive is for a reason now there are exceptions like jl is over priced for what it is . but if were talking about sundown dc american bass DD etc. things cost more because its better made more or less

headunit : Sony xab-601bt
    fronts: infinity kappa 60.9's
    box : Bill Fitzmaurice Truck tuba DD 600series 10"
    amp: Kicker zx500.1
    REFS: Bradfordp2612 , Double 07 , NASTY08IMPALA , mzlady

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interested in this as well. I am a sound quality oriented guy and have four 2 way co ax 6.5s at 35 watts each and a 10"cvx on 400 watts in ported enclosure. Planning my next build and want great sub sound quality. Was thinking a high power handling 12" in a sealed enclosure would fit my bill perfectly. Wouldn't a T1 or W7 in a sealed box on say 1000-1500 watts be louder than my cvx in ported enclosure? And wouldn't the frequency response be a lot better and truer? Not sure of the term but I hear you lose the resonant float of a sub when fading out of a note when placed in a sealed enclosure. I like the idea of usable space and I just don't see why people throw 2-4 type r's or other mid grade subs and fill up an entire trunk when you could spend the extra money on a well designed powerful sub that hits just as hard.

hcivic91 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ladysmanfelpz View Post
    and fill up an entire trunk when you could spend the extra money on a well designed powerful sub that hits just as hard.
    This is a big part of my calculus. I'm in my early 30s but I still like some slam, but my clubs have to to fit in the trunk. This limits my options to 2 10"s or 1 12" or 1 15". I also like the point about ground pounders. I really like the idea of having a ground pounder, though my configuration will not amount to ground-pounding hitting the last octive with authority would be awesome. It looks like if that is what I want to do, I'll need to spend up.

dragnix is offline LXIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hcivic91 View Post
    Ok, how about being helpful then. Maybe my assumption that 2 SA12 > 1 NS-12 is bad?
    I was being helpful, you got my point, and now you won't be assuming that anymore

dragnix is offline LXIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

1. High output
    2. Efficiency
    3. Less space

You can have 2 of those, but you can never have all three. That's the way it is, no other ways around it

7. Likes tc300 liked this post
    2Dcore is offline F*It

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I have 4 10" r on kicker 2500 My friend has 1 15" lvl4 with lvl 5 soft parts on RF T2000. Mine way more powerful than his in all aspects.

HU- alpine CDA 117
    Front - RF 6 .5 T1 comps & RF pro audio super tweets (Amp-Memphis 16-MCA5004)
    Rear - 15" DC lvl 4 with lvl 5 soft parts
    (Amp Kicker kx2500.1
    Kinetic HC 2400's- Big 3 And a big mess of wire

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dcore View Post
    I have 4 10" r on kicker 2500 My friend has 1 15" lvl4 with lvl 5 soft parts on RF T2000. Mine way more powerful than his in all aspects.
    Horrible comparison and statement. What is each box tuned to? Are they both even ported? Is each box proper size? You left out a lot of important details that make your statement dumb.

To add to discussion, louder is a relative term. I've seen some guys on here say they've done swaps like this, and more cone area sounded louder, but the single more powerful sub was louder on the TL. Install plays a big part, as well as enclosure, as been stated.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Horrible comparison and statement. What is each box tuned to? Are they both even ported? Is each box proper size? You left out a lot of important details that make your statement dumb.

To add to discussion, louder is a relative term. I've seen some guys on here say they've done swaps like this, and more cone area sounded louder, but the single more powerful sub was louder on the TL. Install plays a big part, as well as enclosure, as been stated.
    Lol beat me to it....X being than y is rather subjective, I have seen/heard setups that metered louder than how they felt compared to other systems. Unless you are comparing x vs y playing the same song on a meter that is in the same location, the comparsion is null and void.

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

esmokah is offline Dabbed Out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post

"no fair, you changed the outcome by measuring it!"

Head Unit: Pioneer avh-4300dvd,
    Front Stage: Ascendant Audio 6.75", Massive Audio 28mm tweeters
    Rear Fill: Massive Audio CK6-3 6x9 Woofers
    Amps: PPI Phantom P900.4, Sundown Audio SAZ-2500D
    Sub: RE Audio XXX 12" 2.25^3 Tuned to 32

They sell Kicker at Wal-Mart now. That's saying a lot..

nu2spl is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

you also have to remember that the less power a sub/speaker needs to reach it max potential the more efficient it is,so based on that theory and logic , all these big bad subs we use are really only about 5 % or so efficient.the rest is heat

bought from: wccoug21 sundownz thegreatestpenn loudwhat? woofercooker jonny101abc spooney fasfocus00

sold to: jpx18 Nateberrier Ge_off_me spm_215 2lo2flo akheathen etm34 djjdnap jfroghobo traded: SPLaudio Zeuslicious

under construction:
    1992 Toyota Paseo(1) Pioneer DEH-P500UB head unit(2)American Bass VFL 500.1 amps(4) stinger batteries,building 2 10's in tubes

Screnzo is offline What happened in here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think the point of those super subs (any kind really) is to be able to apply greater power to them before limits are reached, and to run more than one. In other words, if your playing with the big boys, you better have some bad *** subs, and lots of them. Not sure if these are exactly geared to the normal crowd. I could be wrong though.

"you have a face like a bulldog chewing a stinging nettle while taking a constipated dump in a heat wave"

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reson8 View Post
    I think the point of those super subs (any kind really) is to be able to apply greater power to them before limits are reached, and to run more than one. In other words, if your playing with the big boys, you better have some bad *** subs, and lots of them. Not sure if these are exactly geared to the normal crowd. I could be wrong though.
    I feel it's just as much for that dude that just wants one big beefy ass sub. Some people don't have the space for multiple sub setups, and want a single bad mofo they can push some power to.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

I would base if off power level you plan to run. Not everyone wants to add an HO alt and 2-3 batts, so 1000-1500watts is fine for them. Most higher powerered subs would be a waste on that power level...

Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

Lol wtf is a super woofer

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast