Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: not sure about this trade.. my old school 18" fi btl for an older 15" re audio xxx

bostonkid92 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not sure about this trade.. my old school 18" fi btl for an older 15" re audio xxx

i really like my btl. it sounds great, close to enough bass for me but it doesn't fit in my trunk. i haven't seen the xxx yet but he said it's an older one. if it's the old style re xxx, it might be a good deal. i read a lot of threads last night comparing the two and people said the btl would get louder but the older xxx would have better sq. what do you guys think? i am honestly not sure. i know the saying if it's broke, don't fix it but idk

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Re: not sure about this trade.. my old school 18" fi btl for an older 15" re audio xx

If its the older xxx re, DO IT!! I had a good friend of mine still running his pair of 12s, and they bang theyre ***"s off!! They look like the end of a Rocket/torpeedo/weight like a Boat ancor/Sound amazing with good clean power///BEAST!! He wont sell them to me/or even trade multiple amps for them

$LICK CALIFA$ is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: not sure about this trade.. my old school 18" fi btl for an older 15" re audio xx

Quote Originally Posted by bostonkid92 View Post
    i really like my btl. it sounds great, close to enough bass for me but it doesn't fit in my trunk. i haven't seen the xxx yet but he said it's an older one. if it's the old style re xxx, it might be a good deal. i read a lot of threads last night comparing the two and people said the btl would get louder but the older xxx would have better sq. what do you guys think? i am honestly not sure. i know the saying if it's broke, don't fix it but idk
    U pretty much answered your own question.
    As far as being a better deal, that's ultimately up to you. If you're looking for resale value, check prices on both subs and how fast they sell (if its an 05 or older xxx) if that helps your decision any. And that btl could probably sound even better if you had a bigger box for it since u said it doesn't fit in your trunk. Just a couple of suggestions...

Refs - http://www.caraudio.com/forums/itrader.php?u=1001510 and many more...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i appreciate both of your responses. the btl box is already very big. obviously, it could be bigger. the only thing i'm really unsure of is how can i tell what model it is? i know of two major model looks, one being the newer massive tall black basket with the voice coil you can see and the other having an underhung looking motor and has a 12 spoke basket i think. idk, how can i tell if it's one of the older ones? when did they start having the newer big tall black basket look?

mazdakid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

If your btl has almost enough bass for you then the xxx will disappoint.
    There was a big difference between my mt and xxx, i liked the mt much better.

traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i appreciate both of your responses. the btl box is already very big. obviously, it could be bigger. the only thing i'm really unsure of is how can i tell what model it is? i know of two major model looks, one being the newer massive tall black basket with the voice coil you can see and the other having an underhung looking motor and has a 12 spoke basket i think. idk, how can i tell if it's one of the older ones? when did they start having the newer big tall black basket look?
    the xxx model everybody wants is the 12 spoke basket w/the dual slug motor and big ass chrome top plate
    06 was when they made the newer tall black basket version

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

****. well i have yet to get a bigger amp though and that is definitely it. i was into bass in high school and had small systems like everyone else: kicker comps lol. since then, i have learned a ton and gotten more into it. the only thing is, i have yet to do the big three, 0 gauge, high output alt, etc. i'm just not sure if i want a ton of bass daily. whenever i have subs in my car, i always overdo it. i lovvve bass, how it sounds and feels and everything but on the other hand i do want my hearing when i get older. that being said, the btl sounded excellent when i demoed it with a smaller amp, i'm just not sure if i wanna go all out for a daily system. also, i'm trying to find a new car. idk, lots of variables here and i know im rambling lol. the btl sounds great and i love looking at it when i come in the room but it's really not practical to keep if it doesnt fit in my trunk. GAH idk! lol

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by $LICK CALIFA$ View Post
    the xxx model everybody wants is the 12 spoke basket w/the dual slug motor and big ass chrome top plate
    06 was when they made the newer tall black basket version
    thank you. this is what i was thinking but i wasn't sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The xxx needs less power so depending on your charging needs you might not even need to upgrade w/a ho alternator but I would still suggest the big 3 and 0g just for better current flow. Obviously the btl has a higher bass output but if you get the correct size box and tune accordingly (if you're going ported) the xxx will sound damn good too!

Boomsday is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Dont do it,

I love the 05/06 XXX's but the BTL is another animal

The xbl^2 motor will keep distortion super low (most people cant here the distortion in there subs anyway) thus making it not sound as loud to some, plus a 2.5" coil will be a downgrade in power handling

Better option, get your BTL reconed to a 15" or find someone to trade with a 15" along the same lines, IA DP, SD NS, DC XL, etc

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GAHH what are you guys doing to me?? i was almost ready to do it. LOL. now i have no idea, just like before i posted this thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boomsday View Post
    The xbl^2 motor will keep distortion super low (most people cant here the distortion in there subs anyway) thus making it not sound as loud to some, plus a 2.5" coil will be a downgrade in power handling
    xxx has 3" coil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GAHH what are you guys doing to me?? i was almost ready to do it. LOL. now i have no idea, just like before i posted this thread
    like I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by $LICK CALIFA$ View Post
    As far as being a better deal, that's ultimately up to you.
    We're just giving you pros and cons but you're the one who has to make a final decision and then live w/it. If you do make the trade and you don't like it, go back w/the btl, if you do like it you're a genius!

murph is offline Low for Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Because the xxx had an underhung motor that means it will have a flat bl which in the case of sq and low end bass it will destroy. Going from a 18 inch spl sub to a 15 inch sql sub there will be quite the noticeable difference in spl.

Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

true. idk i guess all i can do is listen to the xxx and see how i like it. if i were to resell it, what would be a good craigslist price if it's in a ported box already?

murph is offline Low for Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

true. idk i guess all i can do is listen to the xxx and see how i like it. if i were to resell it, what would be a good craigslist price if it's in a ported box already?
    400 combo deal I would probably post it up at like 425-450 though. I would say if it is a 04-05 the sub is worth somewhere around 350.

Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Phoenix gold zx600.2 ti
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast