Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Sealed 12 Wrangler 2dr

nagy178 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sealed 12 Wrangler 2dr

Hey guys,

I have been searching through countless threads this weekend and have learned quite a bit. This is a great community. I have not however been able to find exact info or opinion for my particular situation. I was hoping that this post could produce a little more pinpointed information/opinion for my situation. If there is already an exact thread that I missed please link it for me. Thanks in advance! Now for my details.

I am looking to slowly continue up grading my sound system. I am doing it in stages and right now I am focusing on the sub-woofer.

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

Current setup:
    Car: 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr (yes one of the hardest vehicles to reproduce sound in...lol)
    HU: Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD
    Front: Apline Type-S Compnent 6.5"
    Rollbar: Alpine Type-S Coaxial 6.5"
    4-CH Amp: Alpine KTP-445u (awsome little guy hides in dash 4x50rms)
    Sub: Polk MM1040svc 10" in sealed .6cuft downfire enclosure
    Sub Amp: MTX 801D monoblock (500x1 @ 2ohm 12.5v, 800x1 @ 2ohm Dynamic 14.4v)

Both amps suite me just fine right now. I am content with the front and rear sound stage for now, but would definitely take suggestions for the future. I am focused on the sub-woofer right now. This particular 10" is not doing it for me. I definitely want to go back to a single 12". I run with the windows out often and i know this will seriously put a damper on bass production, but i would like to get it as good as I can. I have enough room behind the rear seat for a 1 to 1.25cuft enclosure. I had an MTX 7500 Thunder 12" in my old Jeep sealed that I was happy with back then. It got lound and clean even with the windows out. I cannot find any right now for a decent price. Also from what i've read on here there a plenty of equal/better subs for less.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to better my system, the sub situation in particular, but I welcome all suggestions on anything. If you think a better configuration is out there by all means throw it out there. Below are some quick recap references. Thanks again!!

2012 Wrangler 2dr, Amp MTX 801D mono 500rms x1 2ohm, single 12", new or used sub is ok, $125ish budget, want loud clean wide band range, listen to Surf Rock, Reggae, Hard Rock, some pop/rap with kids.

jasonbillnelson is offline LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GTFO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Sealed 12 Wrangler 2dr

How much space do you have? Is it $125 for the 12" sub and box or just the sub?

SSgt. Jason Nelson
    Andrews AFB, MD USAF

Bought from sangthing, 93 saturn sl2, basswiigee, goodstuff, HomeGrown, 06gtmike
    **PBnation**http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=382280 --**eBay**search jasonbillnelson, 104 positive-0 negative[
    HU: Clarion NX501 Nav Deck
    Amps: C2 Audio Recon 1.6, Sundown SAX50.4
    Speakers: MB Quart ONX216 Components - 2 full sets
    Subwoofer: C2 Audio Threatcon 4 V1 12"
    Wire/Battery: 0ga CCA --Shuriken BT-80 up front and Shuriken BT-35 secondary

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$125ish for the sub new or higher quality used. I will deal with the enclosure on its own after I see what some people say about it (type, etc). If sealed is definitely the way to go then I would need something that would perform at its best in the 1 to 1.25cuft range. Some of the non-mainstream subs talked about on this forum seem very promising.

Loudmp5 is offline skyhigh&banginlow

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

ported sa 10 used gets my vote

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms,An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject,Only a government that is afraid of its citizens tries to control them.,Gun control is not about guns; it's about control,You only have the rights you are willing to fight for,Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety,You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive,Assault is a behavior, not a device,64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday,All Rights Reserved,The Second Amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others,What part of 'shall not be infringed' do you NOT understand?,guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much airspace does your ported SA -10 suggestion need? Would I be able to get the range of the sealed 12 with the ported 10?

I did have a 8" high end Orion in a custom bandpass cube back in the early 2000's for a small truck. Thing was amazing but it lacked range.

jasonbillnelson is offline LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GTFO!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sealed SA-10 is around .6 cu ft and 1.1 ported. If you can find one used great. If you look into the Sundown E series you can get a brand new one from sundownonly.com for around $110. They are the entry level subs from sundown but they are far from entry level quality. Subwoofers - E series - Sundown Only
    theres the link. If you are really hard up on space then you could always look into companies shallow mount subs but I'm all about Sundown Audio! My SA-10 pounds in my Nitro!

SSgt. Jason Nelson
    Andrews AFB, MD USAF

Bought from sangthing, 93 saturn sl2, basswiigee, goodstuff, HomeGrown, 06gtmike
    **PBnation**http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=382280 --**eBay**search jasonbillnelson, 104 positive-0 negative[
    HU: Clarion NX501 Nav Deck
    Amps: C2 Audio Recon 1.6, Sundown SAX50.4
    Speakers: MB Quart ONX216 Components - 2 full sets
    Subwoofer: C2 Audio Threatcon 4 V1 12"
    Wire/Battery: 0ga CCA --Shuriken BT-80 up front and Shuriken BT-35 secondary

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Loving the feedback! Thanks. I want to stay away from the shallows as I was not impressed with there output when I sampled a few. I have read some good things about the Sundowns and also the DCON and Dayton for budgets. I've been cruising craigslist/ ebay/classifieds here to see what quality used items might be there as well. I was happiest with the sealed 12" MTX 7500 Thunder in my old Jeep and would like something comparable or better. I do not want my lack of experience or comparisons to hold me back on something different. I'm not impressed with my Polk MM10" sealed. Is it the woofer? The size?...idk? Its in the recommended enclosure size. Just not feeling it at all. If you guys tell me ported is the only way...ok. If there is a 8" band-pass that trumps a single sealed 12 and has range I'm open to it. Just trying to be a sponge and absorb others knowledge so I can make the best decision.

I know I do not have the ideal sound stage and cabin reflection for bass production, but what is the best I can do for the open air element to be loud, clean with range? Ported, Sealed, 4th order BP?

Closed Thread