Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Reload Thread: Audible difference between SA-12 and L7?

150db VW is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Audible difference between SA-12 and L7?

Quote Originally Posted by akillj View Post
    I did look for other threads. But none went into detail of why they're "bad" subwoofers. I read a lot of them being "Garbage" but nobody really explained why. Which is why I was curious and asked a question on here.
    they all say why. horrible design, horrible parts. insanely high price.

sold to: dejesu

NASTY08IMPALA is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kushy_dreams View Post
    L7's arent that bad, but they are also not that great...kinda like the purgatory of subs

I'm willing to bet that most of the people that have posted in here have never owned an L7. I have a pair of L7 10s that are just sitting around so I won't be admit to hear them for a few months when I get a chance to build a box for them.
    yes unfortunatly ive owned l7.s ..still crap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by B2WJ4.7 View Post
    i was just trolling nastyimpala, cuz usually all he does is recomend xfls.
    not always but in this case it was a better choice than what he wanted ...like i said never owned any just know what they can do ..glad to know ur on my nvts

akillj is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoesDad View Post
    The OP is noobalicious so he'd probably think the L7 in the prefab "Livin' Loud" enclosure is the shiz.
    That's why I asked here in the first place... Thanks though.

JoeK is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akillj View Post
    I did look for other threads. But none went into detail of why they're "bad" subwoofers. I read a lot of them being "Garbage" but nobody really explained why. Which is why I was curious and asked a question on here.
    2.5" coil; run clean 1000W and see how long they last. This is why L7's blow up all the time with new installers

** NEW VEHICLE AND BUILD ** 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport
    2x SPLAudio DAD BD 12s
    2x SK-1500.1s
    Box 5 cubes @ 29hz
    XS Power D3100 & D2400
    Tenney 270A
    4x PowerBass 3xl 6.5s
    Clarion CZ702

DJSmooth245 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not tryna add insult to injury here...but to me it seems most of the reasons why kicker is bad that are listed seem to be subjective. Fairly common opinions yet opinions altogether. horrible design. horrible parts. insanely high price. thats about the most clear cut answer ive got so far. now..im a kicker guy dont get me wrong..i dont LOVE kicker by any means and honestly wouldnt consider myself a kicker guy if ive ever tried anything else..so its kinda hard for me to grasp ya know? i see alot of you saying "The L7 gets loud, but sounds like crap" "its loud, but doesnt sound good" again this is mostly subjective but isnt loud good?..u could follow that up with "not if it sounds like crap" lol i mean its all subjective to me....what exactly do you mean by "Sound Good"?? as was stated above i like some trunk rattlin and most people with L7s dont care about SQ which i know i dont...so is it that the L7 is obnoxiously loud and pisses others off? or does it not hit notes accurately? or what is it literally that doesnt sound good? I wish someone would post a video of an L7 sound and a SA 12 sound and dissect the two to determine [[By Ear]] that it sounds like crap...

whew..sorry..just never got to the bottom of why kicker is soo bad aside from price and parts..and again not tryna beat a dead horse..just want a few answers without making a new thread

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Couldn't just let it die, could you.....

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

8. Thanks Dtrom thanked for this post
    Likes Dtrom liked this post
    neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Well since it's back open, I'll try to explain at least a little bit.

If you're just looking for something to move air and make a presence, then you're right. The L7 will do just fine. It's not until you're looking for clear separation of notes below 50Hz and its ability to blend in with the rest of your sound stage that you'll understand the importance of SQ in a sub. Download a box-building software and look at some of the FR curves for different subs, the L7 included. Subs that perform better on an SQ end will have a flatter response.

The L7? Not so flat. Which means you have to compensate by extra EQ and some people can't afford/don't want to deal with all of that.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

10. Thanks DJSmooth245 thanked for this post
    Likes Dtrom, DJSmooth245 liked this post
    jungstah is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJSmooth245 View Post
    not tryna add insult to injury here...but to me it seems most of the reasons why kicker is bad that are listed seem to be subjective. Fairly common opinions yet opinions altogether. horrible design. horrible parts. insanely high price. thats about the most clear cut answer ive got so far. now..im a kicker guy dont get me wrong..i dont LOVE kicker by any means and honestly wouldnt consider myself a kicker guy if ive ever tried anything else..so its kinda hard for me to grasp ya know? i see alot of you saying "The L7 gets loud, but sounds like crap" "its loud, but doesnt sound good" again this is mostly subjective but isnt loud good?..u could follow that up with "not if it sounds like crap" lol i mean its all subjective to me....what exactly do you mean by "Sound Good"?? as was stated above i like some trunk rattlin and most people with L7s dont care about SQ which i know i dont...so is it that the L7 is obnoxiously loud and pisses others off? or does it not hit notes accurately? or what is it literally that doesnt sound good? I wish someone would post a video of an L7 sound and a SA 12 sound and dissect the two to determine [[By Ear]] that it sounds like crap...

whew..sorry..just never got to the bottom of why kicker is soo bad aside from price and parts..and again not tryna beat a dead horse..just want a few answers without making a new thread
    read someone say it's got somethin to do with the square cone being heavy in order to make up for it being a weaker structure than a circle. the added weight makes the transitions between notes sloppy? idk man, i'd take an SA cuz you can recone it easily

Pioneer AVH-P2400BT
    Stock Pioneer 4" components
    Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1D
    Two SA-12's
    cruddy prefab ported box----new box otw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ohhhh so its more of the separation of notes below 50hz basically making it all sound muddied together huh? hmm never thought of that...i just thought it was massive bass..hmm i was wrong..well u explained it well and i pretty much get it now..im not left wondering..lol

is there a song that you can think of that has bass notes like u explained that the L7 doesnt separate? id like to hear an example of this muddy bass compared to accurate separation in lower bass notes..

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Couldn't just let it die, could you.....
    no i couldnt actually...lol this subject really bothered me

neo_styles is offline AKA Pop Twidget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Sure, anything from Miles Davis' Kind of Blue for starters. With good SQ, you should actually get the sense there's a finger plucking a bass string.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

14. Thanks DJSmooth245 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Sure, anything from Miles Davis' Kind of Blue for starters. With good SQ, you should actually get the sense there's a finger plucking a bass string.
    thanks...this^^ i like...lol someone who actually provides when asked. thanks kudos for that..ill def check that out asap. may be a lil harder to hear exact L7 recreation when i have a CVX but maybe my L3 will suffice

Dtrom is offline MAF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Overpriced. Can barely handle rated power. Extremely enclosure picky. Can't reproduce music accurately. Just overall a bad sub for the money. I actually like kicker, but the L7 is a complete failure imo.

REFS alot

NoLoud4U is offline High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJSmooth245 View Post
    thanks...this^^ i like...lol someone who actually provides when asked. thanks kudos for that..ill def check that out asap. may be a lil harder to hear exact L7 recreation when i have a CVX but maybe my L3 will suffice
    Lets not forget he 12 L7 needs a box the size of a round 15 to get loud and sound half decent. So whats the point of a L7? Round 15 will be more accurate and get louder. The guys with the 'living loud' boxes that are WAY to small think they are loud, put them on a real meter and you will see they are not loud at all. A lot like distortion sounds loud to the ear but its not on the meter.

2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Why oh why is this still going on ??? L7 are crap in so many ways /thread

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast