Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Need help deciding on single 12 inch ported or single 15 inch sealed in existing box.

thejet95 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need help deciding on single 12 inch ported or single 15 inch sealed in existing box.

Hello, brand new to this forum. Hope to get some opinions. I already have a custom build box for my Subaru Hatch that is a 2.5 cubic foot Wedge (before Sub or port displacement). I am interested in putting in either a single 12 inch DCON or Sundown ported to specs, or just going with a Single 15 inch sealed. I probably would prefer SQ over SPL, but would love to get LOW 30hz range if possible. Any thoughts on either the DCON vs Sundown, or ported vs sealed? BTW, this Single sub would be run off an Old School MTX Blue Thunder amp, putting out 300 Watt Bridged at 2 ohms, so I wanted a dual voice coil 4ohm Sub. Thanks!

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Need help deciding on single 12 inch ported or single 15 inch sealed in existing

Jim Walter, the Alpine engineer who posts on DIYMA, mentioned that he thinks that the new underhung Alpine Type-S 15 has amazing SQ and it's one of his favorite subs now. The sub has 500watt RMS power rating and 15 inch xmax. This should be a good match for your amp, specially with a 15 inch cone. Set the gains with DMM so you don't overdrive the amp.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need help deciding on single 12 inch ported or single 15 inch sealed in existing

Hadn't been considering an Alpine. That might be a good choice, thanks. What about the 2.5 cf enclosure size? Would a 15 inch Sub do okay in that small a box?

OmegaBunny is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

@pro-rabbit

He'll help you out!

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser with Box built by Pro-Rabbit
    H/U Kenwood DNX6960
    Sub: 1-18" Zv3 with NS coils and cone Sub Amp: Mmats 2100.2
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio L6 mids, SEAS Neo Tweets, SAX 100.4, RF 3sixty.2
    Bought From: Rio, davidtemple, Bassin Buick, Pro-Rabbit, Kangaroux, KyleBechtold Traded With: WhiteDragon551 Sold To: jdmeklove, Kpozr2, 97accordalpine

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

I would run the SSA 12 in a nice ported enclosure built more for efficiency.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaBunny View Post
    lol I was just replying to this...

6. Likes West liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

See I knew it lol.

I would go ported 12 over sealed 15

H/U Kenwood DNX6960
    Bought From: Rio, davidtemple, Bassin Buick, Pro-Rabbit, Kangaroux, KyleBechtold Traded With: WhiteDragon551 Sold To: jdmeklove, Kpozr2, 97accordalpine

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would the ported 12 give me lower sub frequency extension over the 15 then? Maybe tune the port for 32 hz or so?

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

The enclosure will dictate the response curve. The correct enclosure would be designed around the application, product, and goals of the setup.

Remember, to get "low" you don't always have to tune "low".

10. Likes RangerDangerV2 liked this post
    thevic24 is offline my silence is deadly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Jim Walter, the Alpine engineer who posts on DIYMA, mentioned that he thinks that the new underhung Alpine Type-S 15 has amazing SQ and it's one of his favorite subs now. The sub has 500watt RMS power rating and 15 inch xmax. This should be a good match for your amp, specially with a 15 inch cone. Set the gains with DMM so you don't overdrive the amp.
    15 inch xmax??

Silently stalking you through glass....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Thats a whole lot of xmax!

OP save your self some time and go with a ported 18! When I first started this hobby I was always concerned with saving space, now my next build will allow me to haul a half gallon of milk and a bag of lemons....maybe

H/U Kenwood DNX6960

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaBunny View Post
    Thats a whole lot of xmax!

OP save your self some time and go with a ported 18! When I first started this hobby I was always concerned with saving space, now my next build will allow me to haul a half gallon of milk and a bag of lemons....maybe

Villeza1 is offline Night Ryder

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thevic24 View Post
    15 inch xmax??

2 AB 1100.1's
    4 Tantric Sounds SHD 18's
    Team Tantric Sounds

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did some plotting in Win ISD on a 12 inch DCON, and noticed the sealed enclosure has a lot smoother response from 20hz and up, but the ported design has a large bump around 30 to 40hz.
    Did the Alpine 15 inch in a sealed enclosure, and it plots almost identical to the 12 inch DCON sealed, except it showed an average of 4-6 db higher along the plotted curve. So, not sure what would actually Sound the best.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

what type of music do you listen to?..I mean, if you listen to actual music made by actual instruments, then the subs mentioned may not be the best choice for your application if true SQ is the design priority. And this has absolutely nothing to do with the Companies themselves, just their overall driver design. Another question is, what does your front stage consist of as far as drivers and power?

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I listen to a lot of different styles music, including some occasional hip hop, but mostly top 40 stuff. I do appreciate a lot of detail in my music, but occasionally like to hear some powerful sub bass. When I was in my teens had a pair of 15inch RF Punch in a 8 cubic foot box, and I wouldn't mind re-living my youth once in awhile. My front stage consists of a nice Kenwood deck and 6 inch component speakers, powered by another old school amp, a precision power 2050m. I also have an old soundstream reference 405 (5 channel amp) that I considered running the whole system on, but the sub channel only puts out 200 watts rms. So not a high powered system, but a clean one. I had been using a JL audio 10inch sub for several years (it recently blew out), but wasn't every really that happy with the amount of low end it puts out in a 0.75 cubic foot sealed box. Looking for something much, much more

BTW, Thanks for all the feedback so far, you have all been really helpful.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast