Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Reload Thread: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

  1. #1
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    My Friend/teammate has 2 dc level 4xl 18s. 1 is blown and the other is not far off. Hes going to be doing a recone on both subs. And is wondering if its possible to recone the his sub with level 6 internals. Is this possible?.. i myself told him im pretty sure it is but he would have to make the space in motor bigger so it can fit a 4" coil.

    thanks in advance.....



    MY RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRIC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 8.2 CUBES NET ~ 12" AERO @ 40-ISH HZ ~ SHARK 2500 @ 1OHM(2 LATER)
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0


    ~2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~

    R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG




  2. #2
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Level 6 uses a 4" coil there's no way around that. If he wants a beefier recone he can use level 5 parts or hit up @SPLaudio ;




  3. #3
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is online now High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Not possible. Sorry



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  4. #4
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is online now High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post
    Level 6 uses a 4" coil there's no way around that. If he wants a beefier recone he can use level 5 parts or hit up @SPLaudio ;
    Level 5s use 3.5 inch coils now



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  5. #5
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by DCtC View Post
    Level 5s use 3.5 inch coils now
    That's pretty dumb. They have too much of a hard time deciding between 3" and 4" coils? Proprietary soft parts ****




  6. #6
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    hm i always thought you could make a motor fit a bigger coil



    MY RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRIC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 8.2 CUBES NET ~ 12" AERO @ 40-ISH HZ ~ SHARK 2500 @ 1OHM(2 LATER)
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0


    ~2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~

    R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG

  7. #7
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    hm i always thought you could make a motor fit a bigger coil
    The only thing you can do to fit a bigger coil is bore out the top plate to fit say a 3" 8 layer coil when a 3" 4 layer would have only worked. You need a completely different motor to do different size coils. The top plate has to change, the slugs have to change, the pole has to change, etc.




  8. #8
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post
    The only thing you can do to fit a bigger coil is bore out the top plate to fit say a 3" 8 layer coil when a 3" 4 layer would have only worked. You need a completely different motor to do different size coils. The top plate has to change, the slugs have to change, the pole has to change, etc.
    oh. ok i see. so the only choice he has is to get the same recone he had? he buys from dc because he is sponsored by them he probly wont do a custom recone.

    @Kangaroux ; while your here, lol who would you prefer to do you recone if you still had the AQ?



    MY RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRIC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 8.2 CUBES NET ~ 12" AERO @ 40-ISH HZ ~ SHARK 2500 @ 1OHM(2 LATER)
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0


    ~2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~

    R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG

  9. #9
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    oh. ok i see. so the only choice he has is to get the same recone he had? he buys from dc because he is sponsored by them he probly wont do a custom recone.

    @Kangaroux ; while your here, lol who would you prefer to do you recone if you still had the AQ?
    AQ can do the recone the cheapest but I would go to splaudio if you have the extra cash to spend. He gave me a good price for a drop in on mine, all you would need to do is buy a little bit of CA glue.




  10. #10
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post
    AQ can do the recone the cheapest but I would go to splaudio if you have the extra cash to spend. He gave me a good price for a drop in on mine, all you would need to do is buy a little bit of CA glue.
    .....yea id rather get rid of the aq internals honestly. i know they hurt pretty bad on termlab. what price did splaudio quote you again?



    MY RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRIC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 8.2 CUBES NET ~ 12" AERO @ 40-ISH HZ ~ SHARK 2500 @ 1OHM(2 LATER)
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0


    ~2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~

    R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG

  11. #11
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    .....yea id rather get rid of the aq internals honestly. i know they hurt pretty bad on termlab. what price did splaudio quote you again?
    For a drop in 18 with a 3" 8 layer coil he quoted me 160 shipped




  12. #12
    bgowdy31's Avatar
    bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Posts
    6,429
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    82
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangaroux View Post
    For a drop in 18 with a 3" 8 layer coil he quoted me 160 shipped
    see id reather go that route because thats not much more then the aqs. did he say how much they will handle rms wise?



    MY RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELECTRIC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 8.2 CUBES NET ~ 12" AERO @ 40-ISH HZ ~ SHARK 2500 @ 1OHM(2 LATER)
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ BULLZ AUDIO 1/0


    ~2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~
    ~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~
    ~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131~

    R.I.P. TO MY WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG

  13. #13
    hispls's Avatar
    hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    My Friend/teammate has 2 dc level 4xl 18s. 1 is blown and the other is not far off. Hes going to be doing a recone on both subs. And is wondering if its possible to recone the his sub with level 6 internals. Is this possible?.. i myself told him im pretty sure it is but he would have to make the space in motor bigger so it can fit a 4" coil.

    thanks in advance.....
    No can do. Pole piece is for 3"

    Quote Originally Posted by DCtC View Post
    Level 5s use 3.5 inch coils now
    Wouldn't touch them with 10 foot pole then. You're stuck buying parts from DC. Old LV5 is pretty flexible and performs very well with Sundown Z recone kit.




    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    see id reather go that route because thats not much more then the aqs. did he say how much they will handle rms wise?
    3" coil will handle 1200W continuously (50hz sine wave forever). Beyond that it's a matter of time before they fail from heat. You can build them to handle anything mechanically.

    Put your hand on a 100W light bulb and see how long you can hold it there.... now multiply that by 20 and that's what your coil has to deal with at 2KW




  14. #14
    jaeguerra909's Avatar
    jaeguerra909 is online now CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ontario,california
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Just have fi build u a nice 3 inch 8 layer flatwound aluminum coil with a few more spiders I have 6 layers on mine



    Hu:pioneer deh-prs80
    Eq:audiocontrol three.2
    Substage:4 sundown zv4 18s
    Front stage:6 pwx 6.5's 2 pwx 8's and 4 obaidian st1 tweeters
    Sub amp:sundown saz 5000d
    Front stage amp:sundown sax 125.4

  15. #15
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: DC Level 4XL 18 Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    see id reather go that route because thats not much more then the aqs. did he say how much they will handle rms wise?
    With an 8 layer coil I think he rated them for 2k




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: (2) DC Level 4XL 18s, motors, baskets recones...
    By basscort2009 in forum Subwoofer Classifieds
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
  2. WTT: DC level 4xl 18 FOR DOUBLE DIN
    By jdmferio13 in forum Wanting to Trade (WTT) - Car Audio
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 08:48 PM
  3. WTB DC level 4xl 18
    By basscort2009 in forum Wanting to Buy (WTB) - Car Audio
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 01:11 PM
  4. Port tuning on a 18" DC Level 4XL
    By Z from Japan in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum