Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Looking for input on getting more out of the same hardware

timma100 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looking for input on getting more out of the same hardware

I think I have posted this before.. But I don't remember, after offering my subs and amp well hell my entire system to my brother for his bday he said no Anyway, here are the specs right now, 2 SA12s with Sundown SPL Coils.. FS is 44Hz, they are in an extremely abused box thats tuned to 34Hz and a little to small. If you want to see the woofers and the box, I have some vids on youtube of it, nothing to be proud of. First off I want to say I am open to any suggestions at all, even if your flaming me for destroying my SAs lol thats fine with me. First thing on my mind is getting these re-coned by SPL Audio to a heavier copper coil, that should bring the FS down to the mid 30s maybe 35Hz, as for the coils I will be going D2 on the pair, and wiring the SAZ1500 at .5ohm. I plan to pick up some dual inputs for the AMP so it can get more power because I am using CCA and not OFC. The two batteries keep up at 1ohm but I dont think they will at .5 so I also plan on selling them and looking for something from XS Power or Kinetic (probably used on the forum) shooting for a single D34 From XS if I can find one. Then comes the box, planning to head to DC Creations and get something proper made from birch, not sure on tuning frequency yet, considering 38Hz as this is a music only build.. If you have any ideas, let me know Thanks!!!

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Re: Looking for input on getting more out of the same hardware

The enclosure would make a huge difference. I'm still sorry that you were not told the truth on the enclosure in the first place. It was beat up and designed for a totally different idea in mind then what you are using it for.

You play hz levels far to low so that will be an issue for you overall to be honest. You have to figure out what works best for what you want and get something designed around that. That should increase your performance from the subs, but if you always push the limits you will find yourself back with broken subs again.

I would get away from the .5 ohm setup as well. You would do far better staying at 1ohm nominal. It will offer the ability to use the amplifier a bit more efficiently.

timma100 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    The enclosure would make a huge difference. I'm still sorry that you were not told the truth on the enclosure in the first place. It was beat up and designed for a totally different idea in mind then what you are using it for.

You play hz levels far to low so that will be an issue for you overall to be honest. You have to figure out what works best for what you want and get something designed around that. That should increase your performance from the subs, but if you always push the limits you will find yourself back with broken subs again.

I would get away from the .5 ohm setup as well. You would do far better staying at 1ohm nominal. It will offer the ability to use the amplifier a bit more efficiently.
    You have been the most helpful person bar none with the problems I have had so there is no need to be sorry man No ones fault I got lied to :P If I stay 1ohm, should I still re-cone to Heavy copper and then get a new enclosure built? Dont get me wrong the woofers still get low and loud, but im stuck between having a new box built or getting them re-coned, and if I recone first, will this crappy box hurt the spiders by unloading so dang quick.. I think it will.. Ideas?

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

If the subs need to be rebuilt I would go for that first, however, with the parts that SPL would use I would suggest a little larger enclosure and more port area over what you currently have. Not to mention getting one built to handle the amount of stress you will be applying to it.

Closed Thread