Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Sundown Audio SA-8 V2's vs Digital Designs 2508's

Trancer is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Sundown Audio SA-8 V2's vs Digital Designs 2508's

Im hoping to squeeze out 3 cu ft of airspace after port and speaker displacement underneath my seats of my Sierra with 3" seat raise. Im looking at running 4 off of 3000wrms

I'll be tuning to 30hz

Which would be better to go with? I have a guy on this message board that can get me a great deal on the DD2508's. The SA-8 V2's would be $500 for 4. The DD's would be a tad bit more

Now the problem is, is that no one has any experience with the Version 2's of the SA-8's, but was hoping to get some insight on which ones I should go with.

I was also thinking of getting the Skar Audio VVX-8" sub to throw into the mix.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Trancer; 03-23-2012 at 11:53 PM.

07 black Yamaha V-Star FI 1300. 08 GMC Sierra QC SLE2 Texas Edition
    Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1, Focal Utopia Components, Focal K2P Components with Digital Designs T1 Tweeters, Audiopipe AQX-360.4, Audiopipe 3001D
    References: 21: DesertHeat, Ravens9322, Netherland24, Insomniac119, killahbean, Charlieee, Dustin19, djman37, dirthog, JayRich, JimJ, RassyMX, Slayerx, smgreen20, lyttleviet, RAM_Designs, Gingerbreadman, DarkHart, cwill5, Imtjnotu, Bettr n' Revrse

Quote Originally Posted by GeekSquad View Post
    Make the port as large and as round as possible. For example, a square port is more round than a rectangular one; an octogonal port is more round than a square port. Also, keep the number of ports down to one, if possible.

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Re: Sundown Audio SA-8 V2's vs Digital Designs 2508's

I say try them both out and meter them to see whats louder since its the same battle we had last year with the SA V1 and the 1508

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Haha, very funny Payton. I dont have $1100 to drop on 8 subs. Plus how would I buy your battery?

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1, Focal Utopia Components, Focal K2P Components with Digital Designs T1 Tweeters, Audiopipe AQX-360.4, Audiopipe 3001D
    References: 21: DesertHeat, Ravens9322, Netherland24, Insomniac119, killahbean, Charlieee, Dustin19, djman37, dirthog, JayRich, JimJ, RassyMX, Slayerx, smgreen20, lyttleviet, RAM_Designs, Gingerbreadman, DarkHart, cwill5, Imtjnotu, Bettr n' Revrse

Make the port as large and as round as possible. For example, a square port is more round than a rectangular one; an octogonal port is more round than a square port. Also, keep the number of ports down to one, if possible.

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Awwww come on!

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

R34P3R is offline I Haz Bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Almost no one will have experience with both seeing as they are fairly new. I would have someone model them in the box you are using and see which one favors it the most. Even though it might be radically different in your vehicle, it would be a great start at making a decision.

The Carlton: Entertaining yo momma since 1990

oxsign is offline No Affiliation oxsign is a Supporting Member of the forum!

oxsign is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I don't think putting 4 DD in 3 cubes and then tuning them to 30Hz would be to good of an idea. Using them in the past, and trying different size box and tuning they like 1 cube each and tuning between 34Hz-40Hz. Now keeping in mind that this is just MY opinion, and MY trial & error.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oxsign View Post
    I don't think putting 4 DD in 3 cubes and then tuning them to 30Hz would be to good of an idea. Using them in the past, and trying different size box and tuning they like 1 cube each and tuning between 34Hz-40Hz. Now keeping in mind that this is just MY opinion, and MY trial & error.
    Thank you for your input. That helps me. I was on their website however and their compact recomended design was .7 cu ft of air space per 8" subwoofer, so if I were to give them .75. cu ft of airspace, then that should suffice, right? Id really like to lean towards their optimal which is 1 cu ft per sub, which means I would need 4 cu ft total.

I wont know how much airspace I have until I get my box fully built. The SA-8 V2's atleast give me some flexibility with .5 -.75. So if I HAVE to run 3, then I will be forced to, but I really want to run 4 8's.

But hey, who knows, maybe I can get 4 cu ft out of my box. The guy who raised his rear seats in his OBS Chevy 3" just like I am doing, got 5 cu ft of airspace after 3 ports and 4 RE SE's taking up quite a bit of displacement.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Throwing the Skar Audio VVX-8" sub into the mix also.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R34P3R View Post
    Almost no one will have experience with both seeing as they are fairly new. I would have someone model them in the box you are using and see which one favors it the most. Even though it might be radically different in your vehicle, it would be a great start at making a decision.

That would be rather difficult as the V2's havent came out yet and it would be awfully hard to find someone with some 2508's. I know a guy locally that deals directly with Digital Designs that turned me onto the DD2508's. I would have to build a box and see how it would perform, but I wouldnt have anything to compare it to. Plus, I just found out that these subs are way out of my price range. 4 of these would cost me a grand. They are a little proud of their subs arent they?

KyleBechtold is offline Buy my fuses $1.25ea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

all I can say is hopefully the v2s are louder than the v1s.. people praised those things like they were god like and while they are impressive for eights thats all I can say about them..

Ca.com

Bought from: Sctattooer, Korn4Life, wgsj_fortvalley, bk12321, Queball, bumpincrv, Splmaster, 310w6, Buck, liljojo4711
    Everyone I have Bought from has been awesome.. feel safe with any of them..

Sold To: Iakona, dustinr, squeak12, Worstenemy453, BeAlLsTaR13, rmzsuzuki89, c_b_, mendon mafia, dropped_tb, SPLluminator, violence., power-fanatic07, schackel, michaellane, aviator08, kodak314, dropped_tb
    Ref Link
    Tamparacing
    -b15spec, 727kid, pshull727, Nt_Hardcore

Want/Need ANL fuses cheap 150a 200a 250a 300a
    CLICK ME

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KyleBechtold View Post
    all I can say is hopefully the v2s are louder than the v1s.. people praised those things like they were god like and while they are impressive for eights thats all I can say about them..
    The V2's are suppose to be MUCH better than the V1's. They will take on more power and will have much better low end extension, which is what I am after. I am wanting to tune to 30hz and with a better low bottom end, that is what is luring me into the V2's.

Im not looking to drop down to the V1's nor am I looking to the 1508's. I have a 3000wrms amp and I want to use it to its full potential. Its taking me a long time to do this build and I am taking my time, so for me to skimp out and not get the subs I want and not using the 3000 watts on tap would just be a waste of my time I have put into this build.

RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

I like the sa8 v.1's.... Mine takes a 1000 watts all day and can play down to 18 hz, just sayin yo.

1999 Tahoe
    2 sa12s
    4th order
    145.18 @33z... with less than 500 watts!

13. Dislikes brooklynjoy2008, Bettr n' Revrse disliked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YonYonson View Post
    I like the sa8 v.1's.... Mine takes a 1000 watts all day and can play down to 18 hz, just sayin yo.
    8?
    ported or sealed? What are your box specs? And when you say your's takes 1000wrms all day long, is that 1000wrms for one SA-8?

RangerDangerV2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trancer View Post
    8?
    ported or sealed? What are your box specs? And when you say your's takes 1000wrms all day long, is that 1000wrms for one SA-8?
    1.2 cubes, 28 hz tuning, and yeah one sa8 on 1k....

1999 Tahoe
    2 sa12s
    4th order
    145.18 @33z... with less than 500 watts!

KyleBechtold is offline Buy my fuses $1.25ea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YonYonson View Post
    1.2 cubes, 28 hz tuning, and yeah one sa8 on 1k....
    in 1.2 cubes.. I doubt it.. unless that is before all displacements including wood..

Ca.com

Bought from: Sctattooer, Korn4Life, wgsj_fortvalley, bk12321, Queball, bumpincrv, Splmaster, 310w6, Buck, liljojo4711
    Everyone I have Bought from has been awesome.. feel safe with any of them..

Sold To: Iakona, dustinr, squeak12, Worstenemy453, BeAlLsTaR13, rmzsuzuki89, c_b_, mendon mafia, dropped_tb, SPLluminator, violence., power-fanatic07, schackel, michaellane, aviator08, kodak314, dropped_tb
    Ref Link
    Tamparacing
    -b15spec, 727kid, pshull727, Nt_Hardcore

Want/Need ANL fuses cheap 150a 200a 250a 300a
    CLICK ME

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast