Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help picking sub for my amp and listening habits.

IsThisTaken is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help picking sub for my amp and listening habits.

I just got an amp that does 340@4ohms and 570@2ohms. Now I need to pick a sub. I want to do a single sub. I've narrowed it down to a few. My budget is $150. I listen to a lot of rap when I drive so I want something can handle lows but also classic rock. When it comes to SPL or SQ. Neither one is favored over the other. Since cars are about the least acoustic environment, I'm not after perfect SQ, but I at least want it to sound good. As for being loud, I'm not going to meter it or anything but I want it decently loud. Like 130db or so, hear that is good for a single sub. Buddy is building me a ported box.

Sub choices:
    Dcon
    AQ SDC2.5
    SA-12 (used for 150)
    Incriminator audio released the 187s replacement but I cant see it beating the Dcon.

kushy_dreams is offline The resident hippie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Re: Help picking sub for my amp and listening habits.

Also take a look at the Skar VVX series and Obsidian Audio subs. I would go with one of those or the SA. How experienced with building boxes is your friend? Is he designing it too?

13 Dodge Dart Rallye 1.4T

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/forum.php<

BOYCOTT SKAR AUDIO! SHADY BUSINESS PRACTICES SHOULD NEVER BE ENCOURAGED!

IsThisTaken is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks! The skar is out of my $ range and I heard the obsidian tends to smell and I can't see it topping an SA-12 for the money. By that I mean, I think the SA will cost me about 5 dollars more and from what I read they are pretty similar.
    The fight seems to be between the: Dcon, SDC2.5 and SA-12. I'd wire the dcon to run at 4ohms and the SDC and SA at 2ohms. Would there be a big difference between 340 and 570 watts?

From what I know he has built a lot and knows his stuff. So fingers crossed lol.

disturbed471985 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IsThisTaken View Post
    Thanks! The skar is out of my $ range and I heard the obsidian tends to smell and I can't see it topping an SA-12 for the money. By that I mean, I think the SA will cost me about 5 dollars more and from what I read they are pretty similar.
    The fight seems to be between the: Dcon, SDC2.5 and SA-12. I'd wire the dcon to run at 4ohms and the SDC and SA at 2ohms. Would there be a big difference between 340 and 570 watts?

From what I know he has built a lot and knows his stuff. So fingers crossed lol.
    person is burning the coils which will make any sub stink so its not the subs fault. Its actually a decent sub and is right there with sa's, and skars as far as quality..

RIP Maynard "My heart"

HU - Eclipse CD7000
    Front Stage - 5 Silver flute 6.5's - 6 Seas Prestige tweets Soon to be FS
    Front Stage amp - DB Drive A7 125.4 For Sale In amp section
    Subwoofer - 3 Skar VVX 10's & 2 TRF Blacks For Sale in Sub Section
    Subwoofer Amp - 2 - Skar SK-2500's & Sundown 5k & 2 Nendo bc2000's For Sale in Amp section
    Box - 4.25cf tuned to 30hz using a 6" internal aero 15" long.. Free
    Wiring - Knukonceptz everything, Big 3, Sprinter S12V370F & HC1800 Soon to be all FS

Closed Thread