I'm new to the site, and relatively new to car audio, and am posting this thread as I need help.
I am purchasing a system for my 1999 Passat this Christmas, and really need some advice. If anyone feels like helping, that would be much appreciated- I read through some of the stickies and hope I am not in violation of anything..
This will be my 2nd system i'm "building", but the first where I actually plan to do the install.
1999 VW Passat sedan
(1) Headunit: (Have an old Alpine CDE-something, I'll look it up tonight)
(2) Sets of Speakers: (???? Don't know what to buy here yet)
250-400 watt total
(2) 12 inch Subwoofers: (Thinking Sundown SA-12s..)
1200-1500 total rms
(1) Ported Enclosure: (Sound Solutions Audio maybe?)
(1) Four-Channel Amp: (???? Don't know)
(1) Mono Amp: (???? Don't know)
Basically that's my situation so far. Obviously i'm going to have to buy wiring and a bunch of other odds/ends, but I think this is a good start.
Also, note that I've saved up about $1000..
I want SPL due to my music interests (hip hop, rap, some electro), is this an appropriate setup?
Should I go with component speakers? Coaxials?
Should I even amp my speakers at all? Maybe just the fronts?
Can I even accomplish this installation, given I've never wired subs or an amp before..
Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance, and let me know if there's any more information I can provide to help you help me.