Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 77

Reload Thread: I want SPL what subs should i get?

  1. #61
    brodeisel's Avatar
    brodeisel is offline The Cool Newb



    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    4,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Denim do you really expect us on this forum to only do one post. We have to argue on every thread here.



    Bought from- pjc, boomsday, El Weenie, Sacsking, BassinBuick, Kangaroux
    Sold to- Mast240,




  2. #62
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorFade View Post
    Who in this thread that has responded has actually used both the L7 and the hdc3 in similar setups with similar power? Compared them head to head? Tried for max SPL with both? Own or has acces to a TL and metered them and built several SPL and daily boxes?

    Anyone? Oh, besides me, that is.
    I have done a few tests over the years with many setups and products. In some cases depending on the application and enclosure build the L7s did do better. I'm not saying it is a better sub or that AQ is a better sub. I'm saying it is dependent on the application for which will perform better.

    If we are talking thermal handling even though the HDC does not have to good of cooling it still beats out the L7 easily.




  3. #63
    disturbed471985's Avatar
    disturbed471985 is online now CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Greenwood, La
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Its simple buy and aq motor and basket have it reconed using quality soft parts. Will cost around the same price as a new AQ but alot better.. But stock vs stock I would still go with AQ..



    RIP Maynard "My heart"

    HU - Eclipse CD7000
    Front Stage - 5 Silver flute 6.5's - 6 Seas Prestige tweets Soon to be FS
    Front Stage amp - DB Drive A7 125.4 For Sale In amp section
    Subwoofer - 3 Skar VVX 10's & 2 TRF Blacks For Sale in Sub Section
    Subwoofer Amp - 2 - Skar SK-2500's & Sundown 5k & 2 Nendo bc2000's For Sale in Amp section
    Box - 4.25cf tuned to 30hz using a 6" internal aero 15" long.. Free
    Wiring - Knukonceptz everything, Big 3, Sprinter S12V370F & HC1800 Soon to be all FS

  4. #64
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    51
    Posts
    18,544
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGrey75 View Post
    Thors GP has some of the loudest 10s I know of and he isnt even touching that
    Then apparently you have not seen or heard wca anas crx 154.9 I believe




    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  5. #65
    sacsking916's Avatar
    sacsking916 is offline stayin high an loud



    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    emerald triangle..home of da trees
    Posts
    6,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    Then apparently you have not seen or heard wca anas crx 154.9 I believe
    She gets loud lol. Plus Thor is running 15s now.




    TEAM AUDIO TECHNIX
    TEAM SSC
    TEAM CADENCE
    Sold to: imtjnotu; ace_800; omegabunny crazykenkid Bought from: El_weenie; fasfocus00; retroaudioinc; f1mclarenagr; jason19; tone415; twizted859; noph33rracing; tony30cl; carlosg_313 Traded with: Micah_Jones; MikeOfTulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Apparently I was called out, or called a goat fucker, or something. I really have no idea. Im just along for the ride at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
    King James has nothing on King Sac!

  6. #66
    kramer_212's Avatar
    kramer_212 is offline Music-Expression



    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    +1 hdc3




  7. #67
    denim's Avatar
    denim is online now SSAudio.com



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    SSA HQ East
    Age
    37
    Posts
    28,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    Denim do you really expect us on this forum to only do one post. We have to argue on every thread here.

    I know my stupid logic gets in the way all the time.





    CarAudio.com mod(original)

  8. #68
    tommyk90's Avatar
    tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago Heights, IL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Anybody who says L7's have potential to get loud because they have more cone area than a round sub obviously has no idea what they are doing.

    I've owned L7's and built SPL enclosures for them. Key word in that sentence is OWNED. As in no longer own. As in "sold them as soon as I could".

    If you're going for maximum SPL, 9 times out of 10 the sub with higher motor force/BL is going to win, no matter the power level. My 9510 absolutely STOMPS every other sub I've tested on power ranging from 600 watts to 4000+. Just because one sub is rated for 500 and another is rated for 2000 doesn't mean the 500w sub is going to be louder than the 2kw sub on 500 watts.

    Hell, my 9510 is louder than several 12's I've tested, once again proving that more cone area is not always better.

    In this scenario I would go HDC3's without a second of hesitation.

    Taylorfade pretty much summed up the rest of my thoughts.




    Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

    2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

    One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.



  9. #69
    mylows10's Avatar
    mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    monterey , ca
    Age
    51
    Posts
    18,544
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?





    pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

  10. #70
    sacsking916's Avatar
    sacsking916 is offline stayin high an loud



    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    emerald triangle..home of da trees
    Posts
    6,428
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?





    TEAM AUDIO TECHNIX
    TEAM SSC
    TEAM CADENCE
    Sold to: imtjnotu; ace_800; omegabunny crazykenkid Bought from: El_weenie; fasfocus00; retroaudioinc; f1mclarenagr; jason19; tone415; twizted859; noph33rracing; tony30cl; carlosg_313 Traded with: Micah_Jones; MikeOfTulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Apparently I was called out, or called a goat fucker, or something. I really have no idea. Im just along for the ride at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
    King James has nothing on King Sac!

  11. #71
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyk90 View Post
    Anybody who says L7's have potential to get loud because they have more cone area than a round sub obviously has no idea what they are doing.

    I've owned L7's and built SPL enclosures for them. Key word in that sentence is OWNED. As in no longer own. As in "sold them as soon as I could".

    If you're going for maximum SPL, 9 times out of 10 the sub with higher motor force/BL is going to win, no matter the power level. My 9510 absolutely STOMPS every other sub I've tested on power ranging from 600 watts to 4000+. Just because one sub is rated for 500 and another is rated for 2000 doesn't mean the 500w sub is going to be louder than the 2kw sub on 500 watts.

    Hell, my 9510 is louder than several 12's I've tested, once again proving that more cone area is not always better.

    In this scenario I would go HDC3's without a second of hesitation.

    Taylorfade pretty much summed up the rest of my thoughts.
    My statement still holds true. I have done tons of testing and application is everything. Not every setup likes the same the thing. Again, I'm not arguing which is better at all. I will admit that it is not very often and takes a special circumstance for the L7 to win out, but it could/can. But to make a general statement that one sub is louder then another is not accurate. There are many factors that come into play when considering SPL and depending on each specific application different subs and enclosure designs are required to achieve the numbers wanted.

    Now if you want to say for this particular application/build sub A works better(is louder) I could agree with those kinds of statements.




  12. #72
    tommyk90's Avatar
    tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago Heights, IL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    My statement still holds true. I have done tons of testing and application is everything. Not every setup likes the same the thing. Again, I'm not arguing which is better at all. I will admit that it is not very often and takes a special circumstance for the L7 to win out, but it could/can. But to make a general statement that one sub is louder then another is not accurate. There are many factors that come into play when considering SPL and depending on each specific application different subs and enclosure designs are required to achieve the numbers wanted.

    Now if you want to say for this particular application/build sub A works better(is louder) I could agree with those kinds of statements.
    I did state in my post that in this particular case I would go with the HDC3 without a doubt.

    However, given all the testing I've done and have seen others do, I honestly can't think of one setup where if somebody was running L7's and they dropped in a more "spl" oriented sub that they wouldn't gain. L7's just don't have the motor force/efficiency that larger subs do.

    It would take a weird set of circumstances for an L7 to be the loudest sub of the bunch. Hell, most sub builders (jacob @ sundown included) that more often than not the larger/stronger subs will be louder on less power than the smaller subs.

    The main reason why people don't buy them is because of the cost and noticeable difference. Most people can't hear the difference between 145 db and 147 db. Might not make a difference to the average listener, but that's an astronomical difference for an SPL competitor.


    I know it's bad to make general statements when it comes to SPL, but I have a hard time not doing it under these circumstances. I can get a type-r louder than probably 95% of this forum. That doesn't mean it's a good SPL sub, it just means that I know what I'm doing.

    In most cases people will get better results from the bigger sub. It's, for lack of a better term, "easier" to get the more powerful louder, especially if you aren't an SPL competitor and don't do a lot of building/testing.

    The main beef I had about the posts in this thread are with the people saying that based on specs and/or cone area, the L7's should be better. I was merely trying to prove that specs mean jack crap most of the time, as does cone area.




    Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

    2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

    One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.



  13. #73
    wickedwitt's Avatar
    wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by brandinooooo View Post
    I wasn't comparing to the solo-x alone. The only one i haven't compared it to is a solo-x 18.
    Probably in your best interest not to, that is if you still want to keep living your pipe dream.



    Stupid Loud.

  14. #74
    pro-rabbit's Avatar
    pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    OKC, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyk90 View Post
    I did state in my post that in this particular case I would go with the HDC3 without a doubt.

    However, given all the testing I've done and have seen others do, I honestly can't think of one setup where if somebody was running L7's and they dropped in a more "spl" oriented sub that they wouldn't gain. L7's just don't have the motor force/efficiency that larger subs do.

    It would take a weird set of circumstances for an L7 to be the loudest sub of the bunch. Hell, most sub builders (jacob @ sundown included) that more often than not the larger/stronger subs will be louder on less power than the smaller subs.

    The main reason why people don't buy them is because of the cost and noticeable difference. Most people can't hear the difference between 145 db and 147 db. Might not make a difference to the average listener, but that's an astronomical difference for an SPL competitor.


    I know it's bad to make general statements when it comes to SPL, but I have a hard time not doing it under these circumstances. I can get a type-r louder than probably 95% of this forum. That doesn't mean it's a good SPL sub, it just means that I know what I'm doing.

    In most cases people will get better results from the bigger sub. It's, for lack of a better term, "easier" to get the more powerful louder, especially if you aren't an SPL competitor and don't do a lot of building/testing.

    The main beef I had about the posts in this thread are with the people saying that based on specs and/or cone area, the L7's should be better. I was merely trying to prove that specs mean jack crap most of the time, as does cone area.
    Very true. It does take some odd circumstances for the L7, but I found them a few times. I agree though that motor force will make a huge difference. That is one of the reasons the HDC subs do so well in SPL.

    I still think building for SPL is easier then doing a daily myself.




  15. #75
    tommyk90's Avatar
    tommyk90 is offline THE WHOLE THING!!!



    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Chicago Heights, IL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    20
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

    Re: I want SPL what subs should i get?

    Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    Very true. It does take some odd circumstances for the L7, but I found them a few times. I agree though that motor force will make a huge difference. That is one of the reasons the HDC subs do so well in SPL.

    I still think building for SPL is easier then doing a daily myself.
    It depends on what you're trying to accomplish in SPL and what you're trying to accomplish for a daily setup.

    Building for SPL is easy, as it's just box after box. It's the testing and tuning that takes foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever.




    Team Kicker (R.I.P.)
    Team Sundown
    Team Maxxsonics
    Team XS Power
    Team DD
    Team Audio Technix
    Team B2 Audio
    Team Mechman
    Team Tantric Sounds

    2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 Regional and National Champion
    2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012 MECA Champion (S1, SR1, DB1, S2, S3, S4)

    One DD 9510 powered by two Sundown SAZ-2500's
    Kicker KS tweeters, MB Quart 5.25's active on an MB Quart DSC480
    Kicker wiring throughout.



Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum