Figured I'd bring this over here for some of the folks that don't necessarily check our forums as I know plenty of people have been waiting on these.
It will be on it's way to me soon for testing of performance and final specs... also production costs should come in soon so I'll be able to get a cost to customer price shortly.
On to the photos of it all put together !
* Custom tooled gasket to fit our new frame with the Sundown logo embedded. Also a stitched on surround like the newest SA / SD-2 models.
* Side view -- doubled up, tied down, round lead wires to eliminate the potential for tinsel lead failure.
* Also a custom tooled venting ring like the SA-10/12/15 series (complete with logo). You will also note the dual, spaced spider setup. Each spider is 10mm wider than previous SA-8 models for more maximum excursion before mechanical damage.
* New motor design with new magnet boot tooled to fit... this new motor is also complete with a shorting ring on the magnet ID like the new SA-10/12/15 models for lower distortion than ever.
* Rear view. Note the Sundown logo tooled into our new frame.
The new frame tool eliminates the x-mech limits of open tooled frames... it also allows us to use a wider spider and to channel the air like I wanted through the spacer ring.
We were also able to implement dual round leads to eliminate the most common form of abuse damage on the 8s -- which was lead tearing / burning.
So... more ruggedness than ever, and lower distortion than ever thanks to a bigger spider and an internal shorting ring. Testing to come soon on the SPL side... I do expect this to also be louder per watt than prior SA-8s.
Still rated 400 RMS conservatively, box requirements still the same but more forgiving to larger boxes thanks to more mechanical excursion capacity. Many people used larger boxes on single 8s due to the difficulty of fitting a port in the box so we made the driver more capable of withstanding these type enclosures but still being able to work in the same tiny boxes when called upon.