Closed Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 215

Reload Thread: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

  1. #166
    wenn_du_weinst's Avatar
    wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    *******
    Posts
    4,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    um what? since when does coil impedance change loudness all other factors aside? low impedence needs more electrical to keep up up with it because it's putting out more power not less. The biggest difference in impedence loads is the dampening factor of the amp, Not THD. Now where it gets hard is if the higher impedence drivers have smaller tighter wound strands on the coil, then it's efficiency may go up. Impedance isn't what determines that though.



    I am protesting Skar by giving them added exposure in my signature.




  2. #167
    wickedwitt's Avatar
    wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Define 'near a dead short'. Is an A/B at 2ohms closer, or further, away from a dead short than a D at 1ohm.

    Again, generalizations have earned a bad reputation for a reason.
    I would say nearer to a dead short would be classified as nearest to 0 resistance, which would be the class D at 1ohm. The A/B at 2ohm would be nearer to the amplifier failing causing an open circuit due to it being wired below it's nominal resistance, but the D at 1ohm would be nearest a true electrical short circuit.



    Stupid Loud.

  3. #168
    wickedwitt's Avatar
    wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    um what? since when does coil impedance change loudness all other factors aside? low impedence needs more electrical to keep up up with it because it's putting out more power not less. The biggest difference in impedence loads is the dampening factor of the amp, Not THD. Now where it gets hard is if the higher impedence drivers have smaller tighter wound strands on the coil, then it's efficiency may go up. Impedance isn't what determines that though.
    Impedance=/=rate of energy conversion. It only means less force (voltage) is required to allow conversion (wattage) of consumption (amperage)

    I never said I was scared to run .25 daily, I said it was unnecessary and unwise.



    Stupid Loud.

  4. #169
    wenn_du_weinst's Avatar
    wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    *******
    Posts
    4,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitt View Post
    Impedance=/=rate of energy conversion. It only means less force (voltage) is required to allow conversion (wattage) of consumption (amperage)
    which still doesn't mean higher impedance amps make power easier. You have any clue how much electrical it takes to do 8k at 4ohms? Ask the guys who were running the jbl crown amps. Both ways need a good electrical system as any stereo does. IF it makes you feel better I'm running my m2 at .5 daily stock electrical, the z1 was at .33 daily with a single batt and 220 alt, the kicker 2500 was at .5 same electrical. It's not as big of a deal your trying to make it sound like. Usually it just brings your total impedence closer to 1ohm then 4-5ohms



    I am protesting Skar by giving them added exposure in my signature.

  5. #170
    NoLoud4U's Avatar
    NoLoud4U is online now High Output SQ



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Va Beach, Va
    Age
    34
    Posts
    7,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    which still doesn't mean higher impedance amps make power easier. You have any clue how much electrical it takes to do 8k at 4ohms? Ask the guys who were running the jbl crown amps. Both ways need a good electrical system as any stereo does. IF it makes you feel better I'm running my m2 at .5 daily stock electrical, the z1 was at .33 daily with a single batt and 220 alt, the kicker 2500 was at .5 same electrical. It's not as big of a deal your trying to make it sound like. Usually it just brings your total impedence closer to 1ohm then 4-5ohms
    That is a crap shoot. Not worth it IMO. Just get a bigger amp and everything is happy.



    2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

  6. #171
    wenn_du_weinst's Avatar
    wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    *******
    Posts
    4,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGrey75 View Post
    That is a crap shoot. Not worth it IMO. Just get a bigger amp and everything is happy.
    No it's not,I know my impedence curve and my amplifier can handle the points where my impedence drops under 1ohm.



    I am protesting Skar by giving them added exposure in my signature.

  7. #172
    wickedwitt's Avatar
    wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    No it's not,I know my impedence curve and my amplifier can handle the points where my impedence drops under 1ohm.
    I would still run a daily setup at the impedance the equipment was designed for and tested at, just to be safe. There aren't many people on the forums here that even keep gear as long as I have, much less run them daily for as long with no breakage. I agree it takes a ton of electrical to properly maintain a high impedance amp, but that is due to DC voltage constraints, AC does not suffer from this plague. That is why $20k stereo cabinets are 8ohm, 800w and will absolutely rock a 25,000 room.



    Stupid Loud.

  8. #173
    wenn_du_weinst's Avatar
    wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    *******
    Posts
    4,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    No home theater equipment is 8ohms so it sounds cleaner and crisper, it has nothing to do with longevity.



    I am protesting Skar by giving them added exposure in my signature.

  9. #174
    wickedwitt's Avatar
    wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    No home theater equipment is 8ohms so it sounds cleaner and crisper, it has nothing to do with longevity.
    It's both, and that was part of the discussion I started (about the SQ of higher ohm ratings). It is also so the cabinet doesn't draw as many amps, blowing a fuse.



    Stupid Loud.

  10. #175
    gpgtp's Avatar
    gpgtp is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Gettin kinda stupid in here




  11. #176
    wenn_du_weinst's Avatar
    wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    *******
    Posts
    4,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Quote Originally Posted by gpgtp View Post
    Gettin kinda stupid in here
    the argument keeps changing, next it will be about AT vs SS



    I am protesting Skar by giving them added exposure in my signature.

  12. #177
    dbeez's Avatar
    dbeez is offline Supporting Vendor dbeez is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    dbeez is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    crestwood,ky
    Posts
    9,412
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    i like this setup **** the haters altought the box could have been done better.



    2002 suburban
    Security System Code alarm
    Electrical Dc power sp270 7 deka 9A31's and lots of 1/0
    Headunit pioneer 880prs
    Amps 2 Sax125.2 front stage crossfire xs8k@.5
    Wiring lots of 1/0 stinger, tsunami
    Mids & Tweeters 2 sets cdt m6+ mids 2 sets cdt tw25 tweets
    Subs 2-18" nightshade v2's d2
    System DetailsDaily driver.

  13. #178
    wenn_du_weinst's Avatar
    wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    *******
    Posts
    4,633
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    DD always brings hate, but I think this time was mostly the attitude that came in the first post. I like my DD stuff but it's going to be upgraded when I get bored of it.



    I am protesting Skar by giving them added exposure in my signature.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Age
    34
    Posts
    318
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    Low impedance = more of the electrical energy being converted into thermal energy rather than acoustic energy. Cooler, happier amps > hot, near dead short amps, IMO.



    Simple SQ System:

    Head Unit: Alpine CDA-117
    Active Crossover: Cache' CEX
    Front Stage Amp: Boston Acoustics GTA-704
    Components: Polk Audio DB 6501
    Sub Amp: Boston Acoustics GTA-1000m
    Sub: JBL P1224, 2.5 ft^3 @ 25 hz enclosure
    Rear Fill: Sony Xplod 5.25s on HU power lolz

  15. #180
    brodeisel's Avatar
    brodeisel is offline The Cool Newb



    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    4,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

    Re: What do you know about a 100% DD setup?

    no one shall care about this thread and your measuring of your sound *****.



    Bought from- pjc, boomsday, El Weenie, Sacsking, BassinBuick, Kangaroux
    Sold to- Mast240,

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum