Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: hdc3 12 or dc lvl 4 xl??

myjaja is offline Audioque

San Antonio, Tx Posts: 143,632 _____<^>*_*<^>_____
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

hdc3 12 or dc lvl 4 xl??

I was just about to order my hdc3's and noticed the dc lvl 4 xl's. I became a little interested in them and looked them up in youtube. They actually make the cars flex alot. Im sure its mostly because of the tuning though. But which one of these two subs would be the better choice? Oh and sorry for all the questions lately, im just trying to get the best equipment for the money.

edit: nvm about the dc lvl 4 xl's, theyre out of my budget. But how do the dc lvl 4 with the coil upgrade stack up against the hdc3's?
    Last edited by myjaja; 08-09-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Refs: sbcaprice305, mattmcss, systembumping, LeofromtheH, audiobahnuser18, stishdr, wcarson8911, jnoel, mr_kebo, 93 saturn sl2

HU: Home stereo converted to dc
    Speakers: Stock
    Subs: 6 1/2 home sub
    Amp: off the stereo
    Wiring: extended power cord
    neon lights: Christmas lights duct taped to frame

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Re: hdc3 12 or dc lvl 4 xl??

btl-n2.

CarAudio.com mod(original)

09civic is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Aq

mast240 is offline YOU'RE A HOOKER!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

either of the subs can make a car flex pretty well, on the right set up. i havent priced lvl 4's in a while, but if you can get them for the same price as the AQ, i would get them with the lvl 5 upgraded coil... AQ has been having spider seperation problems lately (not saying all of them will have it, but it is prevelant right now)... and a lvl 4 with coil upgrade will handle power very nicely... (and i run AQ myself, lol)

NEW TO CAR AUDIO? READ THIS FIRST... http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/532425-new-car-audio-read-first.html
    the loudest montero sport around
    head unit: toshiba thrive 10.1" android tablet/ Kenwood KVT-516
    front stage: each door: 1 8' RF p1 (midbass), midrange: 2 cadence cwm6.5's, 1 memphis pr 6.5 coax (kickplate), 1 cadence 4' coax (a-pillars)
    subs: 4 AQ HDC3 18'S, walled in a clamshell
    amps: subs: AB 500.1, looking for a second; midrange and midbass: 2 AP 1000.4

NoLoud4U is online now High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The lvl 4s can drop low.. I got a pair on the way. I had lvl 3s a few months ago and they were also real good.

2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

09civic is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HazeGrey75 View Post
    The lvl 4s can drop low.. I got a pair on the way. I had lvl 3s a few months ago and they were also real good.
    the AQ's can drop low also. just depends on the box.

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

The ability to "flex" the car matters more on the application and the car itself. The sound reproduced has a lot to do with the enclosure. Which ever sub you do decide to go with just be sure and do your research and math correctly and build a good enclosure and you will be happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 95saturn View Post
    the AQ's can drop low also. just depends on the box.
    Nvr said they couldnt guy, some just sound better doing it and IMO the DC does.. Im sure 23mm of Xmax helps

2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The main reason I went DC is for the small box requirments.. The 12s are happy in 1.5

2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HazeGrey75 View Post
    Nvr said they couldnt guy, some just sound better doing it and IMO the DC does.. Im sure 23mm of Xmax helps
    As always with car audio it boils down to this.... Every one has a different opinion most of the time..that is what keeps things interesting or we would all have the same things all the time.

Falcons is offline that **** i dont like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    As always with car audio it boils down to this.... Every one has a different opinion most of the time..that is what keeps things interesting or we would all have the same things all the time.
    nut huggers?

Things to look forward to:
    (2) 10" or 12" imperium audio designs subs
    set of PHD MF 6.5" comps
    Completely seal off and deaden my doors
    aquire a 2k amp
    aquire a 2 channel amp for front stage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by falcons03079313 View Post
    nut huggers?
    i wouldnt really say nut-hugging, as much as just everyone having a different taste in the particular sound that they like... what sounds good to one person may sound like crap to the next... i'm pretty sure this is what rabbit was getting at in his post

NEW TO CAR AUDIO? READ THIS FIRST... http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/532425-new-car-audio-read-first.html
    front stage: each door: 1 8' RF p1 (midbass), midrange: 2 cadence cwm6.5's, 1 memphis pr 6.5 coax (kickplate), 1 cadence 4' coax (a-pillars)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mast240 View Post
    i wouldnt really say nut-hugging, as much as just everyone having a different taste in the particular sound that they like... what sounds good to one person may sound like crap to the next... i'm pretty sure this is what rabbit was getting at in his post

Very true..

I have judged SQ and even though I'm still a judge it boggles my mind how there is never a full out fist fight with SQ. It is so subjective to the judge it is not funny, each judge/listener is different. I have judged many of the top SQ cars in the world and in most cases it is exactly what you expect (the best of the best) and in others I swear that I could get better sound from a factory setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

exactly... its so subjective, thats its almost impossible to say which of 2 comparable subs/speakers will sound better... alot to do with the install... more so then just said equipment... the only reason i'm suggesting DC to the OP is because of the issues that AQ has been having with spider seperation... a lvl 4 with an upgraded coil would be a lil more stout of a sub, IMO... but i'll leave it at that... if rabbit wants to jump in on that issue, i'll leave it to him ( cuz he has MUCH more personal knowledge of the issue then me)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mast240 View Post
    exactly... its so subjective, thats its almost impossible to say which of 2 comparable subs/speakers will sound better... alot to do with the install... more so then just said equipment... the only reason i'm suggesting DC to the OP is because of the issues that AQ has been having with spider seperation... a lvl 4 with an upgraded coil would be a lil more stout of a sub, IMO... but i'll leave it at that... if rabbit wants to jump in on that issue, i'll leave it to him ( cuz he has MUCH more personal knowledge of the issue then me)
    I hope your one of the few who do not have to deal with that issue. Many companies have various issues with drivers as no driver is perfect. All of them have weak points and failures at some point or another. You may find that your application the AQs will do great with no issues, but you may swap to another companies driver and have nothing but issues when no one else has those issues(on a larger scale). I won't get into all the issues of various drivers, but as long as the users keep with in the specs of the driver they are normally some what safe. When you push the limits of course you will find them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast