Closed Thread

Reload Thread: voice coil and magnet size in relation to power handling

optimusprime is offline roll out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

voice coil and magnet size in relation to power handling

how important are the size and materials that a voice coil are made of and also how important is the size(or weight) of the the magnet used in relation to power handling capabilities?

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Re: voice coil and magnet size in relation to power handling

Generally speaking (I'm watching out for eCrack), the larger, the more power handling. I believe some companies may use this as an advertising technique as well. It's more with quality than quantity in this case. I've seen subs with 2-2.5 vc take power that would blow cheaper 3" vc out of the water.

When you talk about weight, don't forget about neo motors. Most woofers with a neo motor are pretty nice. Warden, DC neo, DDz, Fi BTL, Critical Mass UL12, etc.

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

are there different types of materials that vc's are made of and if so what are they? im gonna have to go look up what a neo motor is becuase im still pretty new to all this.

SPLaudio is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)

chineese coils hold about half the power of usa coils. the motor has a big diff on the cooling too...

Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPLaudio View Post
    chineese coils hold about half the power of usa coils. the motor has a big diff on the cooling too...
    I think this guy might know...

Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

kmanian is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

This is a deep subject, that you will get a lot of opinions on rather than facts. sorting through those and finding fact rather than fiction is the challange.

I will add this, the coil is the source of heat, as it takes the current from the amplifier, it's ability to deal with the heat, and keep it's core function is really what dictates the power handling. the motors design and its ability to pass fresh cooler air through the gap is what allows the VC to keep it's functionallity during times of extreme temperature.

Keep in mind that over 80% of the energy that flows to your subs is lost as heat, and typically only about 10% is actually moving the sub.

Mine is bigger than yours!

sacsking916 is offline stayin high an loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPLaudio View Post
    theres a chance he might know a thing or 2 about this topic

TEAM AUDIO TECHNIX
    TEAM SSC
    TEAM CADENCE
    Sold to: imtjnotu; ace_800; omegabunny crazykenkid Bought from: El_weenie; fasfocus00; retroaudioinc; f1mclarenagr; jason19; tone415; twizted859; noph33rracing; tony30cl; carlosg_313 Traded with: Micah_Jones; MikeOfTulsa
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Apparently I was called out, or called a goat fucker, or something. I really have no idea. Im just along for the ride at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXBMPN View Post
    King James has nothing on King Sac!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so what would a good motor design look like? and also what would a bad design look like? and is there anyway to maybe modify a woofer so that it would have an easier time getting cooler air through the gap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

buy a good quality sub from a company that knows their stuff, and you will be fine. I gave design a try, and there is so much more than meets the eye to it, that it is overwhelming! The chances of a novice like us modifying a sub, like a sundown, DD, AQ, hell Kicker for that matter and making it any better is slim to none, infact I think all that would happen is sucess at making a paperweight.

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

This thread is gunna get really long lol... Good thread thou

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmmm... i would still like to know what is good and what is bad as far as design and material goes anyone have any clear examples or know of somewhere that i could find pictures of said examples?

SPLaudio is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)

there is ALOT of varibles. we will just break into american coils that have a higher thermal capacity because of better voice coil glue and higher grade materials used.

the motor; you want air flowing in the gap around the coil to cool it there is several ways to do this but the best i have seen is a small pole hole and backplate gap venting.

spiders; if ur spiderpack is really stiff ur not going to be moveing the cone alot and thus forcing air in the gap.

coils; copper handles heat a little better for long durations but alum discharges the heat quicker. the more layers and taller ww the more the coil will handle thermal. keep inmind a 3" 8 layer has alot more wire per ww than a 4" 4 layer. so if the motor has good cooling the 3" will handle more power even though the 4" has more surface area.

just tring to keep it simple

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

see thats what im looking for. while i appreciate the great brand suggestions i appreciate a good break down more so that i can understand why something is better other than just becuase everyone else uses it and says its good. is there by chance a place that i can learn more information like this and maybe even more in depth?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

you have so may variations that serve different purposes. Over and under hung motors, alum. copper coils, lms, split, standard, 2,4 8 layer coils, different coil formers, Shorting rings, pole plugs, pole venting... and all have their own characteristics that when put in the right place with the right neighbors, will give a desirable result. But that result may be SQ to SPL.

Example, typically a LMS copper round wire coil of 2-3 inches with 2 soft spaced spiders and a heavy cone in an underhung tight gap motor would be a nice low FS sq sub, with moderate power handling. A Flat wound aluminum coil in an over hung motor, with a fatter gap with 5 medium to stiff spiders and a super light composite cone will typically give you a higher FS high power handling SPL sub.

Now that is super simplified, but you get the point. and there are so many variations and added items like motor strength... that it simply is a super open ended question. You would need to get pretty specific with your needs to get anything close to a real answer. IMO

Good luck though

Closed Thread