Closed Thread

Reload Thread: bottoming out? or what

caraudio93 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bottoming out? or what

im pretty new to the car audio scene, and i go my system set up a few days ago. the sub is an audiopipe tsvr 15, and the amp is an audiopipe apsm-1300. the sub is 500wrms and i have it wired for 2 ohms, and the amp is 600w rms @ 2ohms. Today i turned it up quite loud and it made like a popping sound. I thought this was the sound of it bottoming out, but how is that possible, the HU volume was only on 40/62, and the remote bass nob wasnt even half way up. Since the sensitivity on the amp is .2v-5v, i turned the gain up a little less than half, because my HU rca's are 2.2v. why do you think it would make this sound and also. how do i know when i'm pushing it too hard? it's in a sealed box so i can't smell it. And is it possible for the amp to be putting out more than 500 watts rms at the settings described above? thanks guys.

DDtC is online now High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Re: bottoming out? or what

Make sure your box is sealed well and the sub is screwed down tight.. Sounds like a air leak

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DD M4(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

09civic is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

you probably fried it. you gave the sub a clipped signal that eventually fried the sub. combo of a dirty signal and lack of electrical

infamous_e46 is offline hArRy_DaNgLeRs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 95saturn View Post
    you probably fried it. you gave the sub a clipped signal that eventually fried the sub. combo of a dirty signal and lack of electrical

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM923 View Post
    Damn, look at that midget ***...love me a midget ***. 3 foot 4 standing up, 3 foot 6 sitting down.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaellane View Post
    don dont come in here ruining my thread. i hate you and jose

www.alphadamp.com
    Got Mad Feedback Son http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/364675-infamous_e46s-feedback-thread.html#post5697823

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i doubt its fried. it still sounds clean and good. the air leak however, i didn't even think of, and since i only screwed down like 5 out of 8 holes due to frustration with the MDF material, that is a much more likely possibility. but is there a way to tell when i'm giving it too much power? I haven't even come close to turning it up all the way, today was the loudest it's ever been.

i2ain2thunder is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 95saturn View Post
    I'd say this or approx something similar. dont use bassboost its not your friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

your amp will not overpower your sub period....only way you'll wreck those subs is by using bass boosting stuff on the amp/HU

Granted you might use bassboost and have no problems as well, but thats makes ur subs work like they aren't supposed to and sends them distortion usually.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bass boost on amp is always off, i have never turned it on. HU might have some slight adjustments definitely not more than +1 or +2 on the bass. I will turn them off right away. And I will also screw down the rest of the screws. I'm not too concerned about this, seeing as that was the first time i've even had it remotely loud. Thanks for the help guys. and 2ain2thunder, are you sure that amp wont overpower the sub?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caraudio93 View Post
    bass boost on amp is always off, i have never turned it on. HU might have some slight adjustments definitely not more than +1 or +2 on the bass. I will turn them off right away. And I will also screw down the rest of the screws. I'm not too concerned about this, seeing as that was the first time i've even had it remotely loud. Thanks for the help guys. and 2ain2thunder, are you sure that amp wont overpower the sub?
    Well the clipping is understandable it wouldn't really be from overpowering the subs though. Those audiopipes will do their rated power....but not very cleanly, you can definately get clipping from them. Recheck your gain setting, maybe back off the gain a little bit. Just be careful with it and see what sounds clean.

bgowdy31 is online now I GOT LOUD FOR $648

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by i2ain2thunder View Post
    Well the clipping is understandable it wouldn't really be from overpowering the subs though. Those audiopipes will do their rated power....but not very cleanly, you can definately get clipping from them. Recheck your gain setting, maybe back off the gain a little bit. Just be careful with it and see what sounds clean.

how are sundwons with clipping? if ur familiar

MY NEW RIDE- 2001 HYUNDAI SANTA FE (BEST SCORE 147+DB 30-SEC MUSIC-BB2400 & 1 HDC3-18 W/STOCK ELEC)
    2 SOUNDQUBED SDC2.5-15'S ~ 7.06 CUBE @ 37HZ ~ SHARK 2500(FOR NOW,2 STRAPPED LATER)@ 1OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK DEKA & 2 AGM'S ~ 4 RUNS OF 1/0(2+/2-)

WIFEYS 03 FOCUS SE TRUNK SYSTEM ~ 143+DB 30 SEC MUSIC AVG
    1 KICKER L7 15 ~ 5.6 CUBE @ 38HZ ~ KICKER ZX1000.1 @ 2 OHM
    STOCK ALT ~ 1 STOCK BATTERY ~ ONLY 6GA POWER WIRE

2010 FCBC 450SD 3RD OVERALL~2011 FCBC 450SD CHAMPION~YOUTUBE->bgowdy31 & bgowdy3131

09civic is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgowdy31 View Post
    how are sundwons with clipping? if ur familiar
    y u troll

Closed Thread