Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Reload Thread: any experience with skar or sundown?

  1. #1
    DMV1919's Avatar
    DMV1919 is offline Member



    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    any experience with skar or sundown?

    i've searched for a good 2 hours and still can't decide b/w the two (vvx12 or sa12)

    i found this thread but it didnt help much bc it said the same for both of them

    is there anybody with experience with the two?

    im gonna be giving a single d4 about 750W







  2. #2
    schackel's Avatar
    schackel is offline College Bound: Cal Poly



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Luis Obispo
    Posts
    4,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    sa 12s like ported. idk about skar. all i have herd is that they sound good as fack so i would assume sealed is better for them.

    so with my assumption in the cards i would say:
    -for loud but stilll soud GOOD=sundown
    -for not as loud and sound like a boss=skar



    $480 a year??? you're an idiot

  3. #3
    DMV1919's Avatar
    DMV1919 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    I think I might pay the extra cash for the sa 12 bc ill be using a ported box

    Any other opinions?




  4. #4
    schackel's Avatar
    schackel is offline College Bound: Cal Poly



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Luis Obispo
    Posts
    4,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    Quote Originally Posted by DMV1919 View Post
    I think I might pay the extra cash for the sa 12 bc ill be using a ported box

    Any other opinions?
    another opinion:
    can not go wrong with sundown.



    $480 a year??? you're an idiot

  5. #5
    Buck's Avatar
    Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    18,378
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    Quote Originally Posted by schackel View Post
    sa 12s like ported. idk about skar. all i have herd is that they sound good as fack so i would assume sealed is better for them.

    so with my assumption in the cards i would say:
    -for loud but stilll soud GOOD=sundown
    -for not as loud and sound like a boss=skar
    That isn't true, somebody was hitting in the 150's with 2 of the skar 12's.

    I've heard a skar 12 in person, they sound really good, willing to bet better than the SA-12's.



    Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

  6. #6
    kr15's Avatar
    kr15 is offline Polluting Residentials



    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    the Skars can be tuned a little lower...if you plan to tune at or below 33 or so, do the skars...if you tune above that, do the SAs



    Team Flex Issues
    45s out the trunk..lowww

    REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

  7. #7
    Liquid Bass's Avatar
    Liquid Bass is offline Midwest Militia



    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    KC Missouri
    Posts
    3,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    Good subs everyone has them. Both will sound decent but the sa will have more output and handle more power.



    system 1:
    Car:04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Sub: Tc Sounds 3000 quad 15
    Amp: Audio Pipe Ap1500.1
    Head unit: Eclipse AVN7000
    Big 3: 1/0
    System 2:
    Car: Gf's Pontiac G6 GT
    Sub: Orion HCCA 12.4
    Amp: Audio Pipe Ap3000d

  8. #8
    Buck's Avatar
    Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    18,378
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Bass View Post
    Good subs everyone has them. Both will sound decent but the sa will have more output and handle more power.
    I've heard the whole sa series is built to handle roughly twice the power that they are rated at.



    Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

  9. #9
    Liquid Bass's Avatar
    Liquid Bass is offline Midwest Militia



    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    KC Missouri
    Posts
    3,000
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I've heard the whole sa series is built to handle roughly twice the power that they are rated at.
    They are underrated but I don't think that much. I wouldn't want to
    Throw 1200 at an sa12 but that's just me



    system 1:
    Car:04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Sub: Tc Sounds 3000 quad 15
    Amp: Audio Pipe Ap1500.1
    Head unit: Eclipse AVN7000
    Big 3: 1/0
    System 2:
    Car: Gf's Pontiac G6 GT
    Sub: Orion HCCA 12.4
    Amp: Audio Pipe Ap3000d

  10. #10
    schackel's Avatar
    schackel is offline College Bound: Cal Poly



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Luis Obispo
    Posts
    4,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    That isn't true, somebody was hitting in the 150's with 2 of the skar 12's.

    I've heard a skar 12 in person, they sound really good, willing to bet better than the SA-12's.
    word. ^^^ better advice



    $480 a year??? you're an idiot

  11. #11
    kr15's Avatar
    kr15 is offline Polluting Residentials



    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    They are underrated but I don't think that much. I wouldn't want to
    Throw 1200 at an sa12 but that's just me
    its all about knowing what your doing...i put 2k on mine...Jacob puts 7k on his...but I wouldnt advise over 7-800 to someone that doesnt know what their doing



    Team Flex Issues
    45s out the trunk..lowww

    REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

  12. #12
    Buck's Avatar
    Buck is offline always low Buck is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    18,378
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    Quote Originally Posted by kr15 View Post
    its all about knowing what your doing...i put 2k on mine...Jacob puts 7k on his...but I wouldnt advise over 7-800 to someone that doesnt know what their doing
    Not for daily, that's dumb. I'd rather have more cone area. Once you reach a certain power there is no reason to increase any more because you severely shorten your woofers life and won't have that much extra output.

    SPL, ya maybe. But I'd rather get another woofer. Cone area>power.



    Alpine - ASE (local) - Batcap - C&D Tech - CT Sounds - DC - eD - Excessive Amperage - Rainbow

  13. #13
    sundownz's Avatar
    sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,008
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    I thought I explained it pretty thoroughly somewhere -- perhaps search button my name + SKAR Audio

    Skar sub was designed with a bit higher linear x-max (via a longer coil which is also heavier) and a bit less motor force factor -- all of which are beneficial to low-end extension.

    The SA was designed with a 10% shorter coil (lighter, few mm less linear x-max) and more motor power -- which are beneficial for SPL.

    Either subs sounds quite good, IMO.

    Neither is an "SPL Sub" or an "SQ Sub" -- they are both versatile and can go either way; simply leaned each one a bit farther in each direction.




  14. #14
    wickedwitt's Avatar
    wickedwitt is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Abilene, TX
    Posts
    2,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    Quote Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
    I thought I explained it pretty thoroughly somewhere -- perhaps search button my name + SKAR Audio

    Skar sub was designed with a bit higher linear x-max (via a longer coil which is also heavier) and a bit less motor force factor -- all of which are beneficial to low-end extension.

    The SA was designed with a 10% shorter coil (lighter, few mm less linear x-max) and more motor power -- which are beneficial for SPL.

    Either subs sounds quite good, IMO.

    Neither is an "SPL Sub" or an "SQ Sub" -- they are both versatile and can go either way; simply leaned each one a bit farther in each direction.
    The best advice you'll get in this thread....straight from the horse's mouth



    Stupid Loud.

  15. #15
    DMV1919's Avatar
    DMV1919 is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: any experience with skar or sundown?

    thanks for the help guys. i think im gonna buy the skar and use the extra money i wouldve spent on the sundown for the Big 3 in my car




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum