Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Reload Thread: New to car audio! Help please!

  1. #1
    calebbeast's Avatar
    calebbeast is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon32 New to car audio! Help please!

    Edit:
    I know what sub I'm going to get: SSA DCON 12"
    I just need to know...

    1. Head or no head?
    2. What type of amp?
    3. How to build the sub box?

    Thanks, any help is really appreciated!


    I'm new to car audio, and I'm getting a subwoofer and amp but i need some help before i get them. I want a 12" sub, something like the apline type r, but any other suggestions are welcome. I need an amp, I'm not really sure if you need to get any specific amp for different sizes of subs. And i need a wiring kit, and im not sure if I need any specific wiring kit. Also, i was wondering if i can amp my speakers along with the sub. I want don't want to spend alot of money so please don't suggest expensive equipment. and if there is anything else i need please tell me, and i would like to know the best place to get it wired, or can i do that myself?
    Last edited by calebbeast; 05-02-2011 at 10:22 PM.







  2. #2
    T.I.K.'s Avatar
    T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live



    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,151
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by calebbeast View Post
    I'm new to car audio, and I'm getting a subwoofer and amp but i need some help before i get them. I want a 12" sub, something like the apline type r, but any other suggestions are welcome. I need an amp, I'm not really sure if you need to get any specific amp for different sizes of subs. And i need a wiring kit, and im not sure if I need any specific wiring kit. Also, i was wondering if i can amp my speakers along with the sub. I want don't want to spend alot of money so please don't suggest expensive equipment. and if there is anything else i need please tell me, and i would like to know the best place to get it wired, or can i do that myself?
    How much money are you looking to spend?



    Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

  3. #3
    calebbeast's Avatar
    calebbeast is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist View Post
    How much money are you looking to spend?
    Maximum
    Like 200 for a sub and however much a descent amp cost. Im not really sure what good amps there are for what prices. If i got a little more info about what amp to get and if i can amp my speakers along with my sub, i could put a better price.




  4. #4
    T.I.K.'s Avatar
    T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live



    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,151
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by calebbeast View Post
    Maximum
    Like 200 for a sub and however much a descent amp cost. Im not really sure what good amps there are for what prices. If i got a little more info about what amp to get and if i can amp my speakers along with my sub, i could put a better price.
    eh, you're not gonna NEED to amp your door speakers for a single sub under 1000w, you can but it's not necessary.

    I'm not going to reccomend anything specific, everyone will be happy to chime in with their own opinions

    $200 is a pretty good budget for a single woofer in your first install.



    Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

  5. #5
    calebbeast's Avatar
    calebbeast is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist View Post
    eh, you're not gonna NEED to amp your door speakers for a single sub under 1000w, you can but it's not necessary.

    I'm not going to reccomend anything specific, everyone will be happy to chime in with their own opinions

    $200 is a pretty good budget for a single woofer in your first install.
    I was thinking the alpine r 12" or one of the kicker comps. So lets say i just amp the sub woofer, do i need any specific wire kit and could i wire it myself?




  6. #6
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    OP do you have the tools to make your own box? it'll be way more worth it to have a custom ported box made for your sub.

    SSA Store - SKAR Audio VVX Sub woofer
    Sundown Audio SA-12 600 watt sub woofer
    SSA Shop - Incriminator Audio 12" Lethal Injection
    Street Duty SDC2.5-12-D4 Subwoofer

    other options include Digital Designs 1512 and a DC Audio Level 3




  7. #7
    calebbeast's Avatar
    calebbeast is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by double deez View Post
    OP do you have the tools to make your own box? it'll be way more worth it to have a custom ported box made for your sub.

    SSA Store - SKAR Audio VVX Sub woofer
    Sundown Audio SA-12 600 watt sub woofer
    SSA Shop - Incriminator Audio 12" Lethal Injection
    Street Duty SDC2.5-12-D4 Subwoofer

    other options include Digital Designs 1512 and a DC Audio Level 3
    Yeah, im pretty handy, i could make my own box and probably wire it. Is it easy to wire? do i need a specific wire kit? and i need an amp also.




  8. #8
    T.I.K.'s Avatar
    T.I.K. is offline F*ck it, we'll do it live



    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,151
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by double deez View Post
    OP do you have the tools to make your own box? it'll be way more worth it to have a custom ported box made for your sub.

    SSA Store - SKAR Audio VVX Sub woofer
    Sundown Audio SA-12 600 watt sub woofer
    SSA Shop - Incriminator Audio 12" Lethal Injection
    Street Duty SDC2.5-12-D4 Subwoofer

    other options include Digital Designs 1512 and a DC Audio Level 3
    DD1512 for <200??
    please, let me know where I can get some!!!



    Get taken down to funky town on MobileAudioForum.com.

  9. #9
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist View Post
    DD1512 for <200??
    please, let me know where I can get some!!!
    local dealer said he can get a new one for like $215




  10. #10
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by calebbeast View Post
    Yeah, im pretty handy, i could make my own box and probably wire it. Is it easy to wire? do i need a specific wire kit? and i need an amp also.
    wiring up the sub is super simple lol no you don't really need any special wire. just get some 10 gauge speaker wire and you're all set. some people use terminal cups but i just drill a hole and seal it up after i run the wire lol




  11. #11
    destined2race's Avatar
    destined2race is offline Already Being Used....



    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Beatin Down Yo BLock
    Posts
    931
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    stay away from the kicker comp and in ur budget much better to be had than type R. some people like em, i was never big on the ones i had. do you need to get a box and sub for $200? or do you know how to build ur own? Also answer a few other things to help us give you the best advice:

    What kind of vehicle?
    Do you have a head unit?
    Are you looking more for sound quality, loudness, or a mix of both?
    are you concerned about saving space in ur vehicle or does box size not really matter?

    As far as installing, while there can always be tricky spots depending on your vehicle, its really not too hard. Tons of references online to help ya out if ya need. Or ask here. As for wire, id just recommend a 4guage kit. you could get away with 8ga depending on what amp you end up with, but if you do get sumn half way decent or ever wanna upgrade, its just better to have something good to start.

    And THere are 3 and 5 channel amps(even some 4 channels work good if you wanna run a sub off rear and hook up front input to components or sumn) to run components and a sub. first answer the other questions and that will help us more to get ya a good sub for what you like. then we can recommend some amps to work well with your setup

    ---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

    lol ^^^ 5 posts in the time it took me to type that



    Headunit - Kenwood DDX 318 4v double din
    Front Stage - JL Audio c2 6.5 comp set
    Rear Stage - Jl Audio VR 6" comp set
    Front stage amp - OS Sony (.005 THD Rated)
    Sub Stage - 2 10" IDs 1cu sealed per
    Sub Stage Amp - Boston Acoustic GT-28
    Big 3, SVR800 Batt, JL Blue Line Rca's, 0 ga JL kit
    Refs - The_Grimy_One, Deusle, zach90z, shineman08, Orion 2500D

  12. #12
    09civic's Avatar
    09civic is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    6,829
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Artist View Post
    DD1512 for <200??
    please, let me know where I can get some!!!
    no. there 1508 is 250 shipped to me




  13. #13
    Bettr n' Revrse's Avatar
    Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    16,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    I have BNIB Kicker Comp if you realy want it... Go here for wiring Amp Installation Kits




    Western Rep.

    99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

  14. #14
    calebbeast's Avatar
    calebbeast is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by destined2race View Post
    stay away from the kicker comp and in ur budget much better to be had than type R. some people like em, i was never big on the ones i had. do you need to get a box and sub for $200? or do you know how to build ur own? Also answer a few other things to help us give you the best advice:

    What kind of vehicle?
    Do you have a head unit?
    Are you looking more for sound quality, loudness, or a mix of both?
    are you concerned about saving space in ur vehicle or does box size not really matter?

    As far as installing, while there can always be tricky spots depending on your vehicle, its really not too hard. Tons of references online to help ya out if ya need. Or ask here. As for wire, id just recommend a 4guage kit. you could get away with 8ga depending on what amp you end up with, but if you do get sumn half way decent or ever wanna upgrade, its just better to have something good to start.

    And THere are 3 and 5 channel amps(even some 4 channels work good if you wanna run a sub off rear and hook up front input to components or sumn) to run components and a sub. first answer the other questions and that will help us more to get ya a good sub for what you like. then we can recommend some amps to work well with your setup

    ---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

    lol ^^^ 5 posts in the time it took me to type that
    Thanks for responding haha.

    What kind of vehicle? toyota corolla
    Do you have a head unit? No, i have one that came with the car.
    Are you looking more for sound quality, loudness, or a mix of both? I really just want descent quality bass and loudness. so mix, but more loud.
    are you concerned about saving space in ur vehicle or does box size not really matter? smaller the better, my car is small, but i have the whole trunk for it to fit in.

    Do i need a head unit?




  15. #15
    Kangaroux's Avatar
    Kangaroux is offline I put on



    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    9,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

    Re: New to car audio! Help please!

    Quote Originally Posted by 95saturn View Post
    no. there 1508 is 250 shipped to me
    ha sucks for you




Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum