Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: very confused please help!!!!

Thid Guy is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 very confused please help!!!!

i have just installed 4 hifonics hfi12d4 subs into my car, running them in pairs in series/parallel at 4 ohms per pair. they are in a sealed box with 2 chambers, 2 subs in each chamber. i am running them on a power acoustic 525w amp, bridged (until i get another amp) subs are brand new, when i hooked all 4 of them up they have very poor sound and produce a vibrating/ rattle sound... even at low volume. however when i unhook one pair the sound quality drastically improves. but the rattle is still there, tho no where near as bad. ive tried everything i can think of and am still clueless as to what is the cause of this. any help would be greatly apperciated. thank you.

Chriszle is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Re: very confused please help!!!!

You cannot run any connections between the subs in series. Connecting voice coils in series is alright though. if you have 4 dual 4 ohm subs your options are to either run at 2 ohms bridged or .5 ohms bridged. Hope this helps.

A-hole is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sounds like crap cus you dont have decent power. just run one sub. You need atleast a 2k amp. you got 4 subs that need 300 rms and 600 peak each. With a 2k amp @ 2 ohms., you can get 1200 rms easy and still have headroom to get within 400wats of the peaks 2400wats that the subs supose the peak at. For now, just run one sub dude

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

They still shoudlnt be making rattling sounds from being underpowered...I would guess there is something else wrong besides lack of power.

A-hole is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they would if he is clippping the shit out of them, he probably hasnt even broken one of them in yet. Until he gets the power right, he dont know what issues he faces. If he just runs one sub in a single sub box, then he can then test each sub and start to narrow done the issue. and if need, he can make sure the box he built or bought is not flawed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Since it is impossible to underpower a sub, that is clearly not the issue man. Clipping is something different, if he does not know how to set gains properly, but that has nothing to do with the actual size of the amp. The box could also be leaking air, theres many things, but lack of power will never cause a problem with a sub.

Thid Guy is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im running at 2 ohms bridged, and my box is air tight, that was the first thing i checked it caulked and fully sealed its not my first attempt at enclosure building either i have built a few. you mentioned something about gains causing this, when i am running one pair at 4 ohms they dont produce the sound in question until upper mid to high range volume. so when i put both pairs on and it produces the sound at lower volumes could that be that my gains are too high causing distortion???

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

lol, you can wire them however you want, don't pay attention to that other guy. you can either make the subs 8ohms and parallel them down, or 2ohms and series the pairs up to 4. now, have you tried the other pair alone? also, it is possible, that you actually accidetally wired them to 1ohm, or up to 8ohm bridge? are they all in phase, and not inverted (assuming they all fire foreward to the same airspaces, not 1/2 inverted) have you checked ohms with a dmm?

*IF I have forgotten to exchange feedback, please let me know*
    i buy broken amps....
    No, i will not "gift" paypal. please do not even make it awkward by asking. if the fees are an issue, I am usually inclined to add them. unless you have discount elsewhere, shipping is through usps flat rate, through usps parcel post, or through the roof..... i am in alaska. thanks
    -Heath H-

Liquid Bass is offline Midwest Militia

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The rattling sound has to either be mechanical. Sometimes a leaky box can sound like a mechanical problem

system 1:
    Car:04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Sub: Tc Sounds 3000 quad 15
    Amp: Audio Pipe Ap1500.1
    Head unit: Eclipse AVN7000
    Big 3: 1/0
    System 2:
    Car: Gf's Pontiac G6 GT
    Sub: Orion HCCA 12.4
    Amp: Audio Pipe Ap3000d

Phoenix Risen is online now OG.... Original Ginger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

what exact amp are you running (is it a 2/4 chan or a mono and what ohm load is it stable at)

and what voice coil configuration are the subs.

it amazes me that people trying to give advice cant think to ask for all of the needed information. (thats not at everyone)

R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

akheathen is offline trianoacitol contraceptiv akheathen is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

oh, yah, good point. i didn't think to ask the exact model. all i can find is 520watter 2-channels, with a rating of 300x1@4ohm.

Savstyle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A-hole View Post
    sounds like crap cus you dont have decent power. just run one sub. You need atleast a 2k amp. you got 4 subs that need 300 rms and 600 peak each. With a 2k amp @ 2 ohms., you can get 1200 rms easy and still have headroom to get within 400wats of the peaks 2400wats that the subs supose the peak at. For now, just run one sub dude
    oh yeah?

maybe tinsel slap?

They Call Me DARKNESS

Gamertag: Savstyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akheathen View Post
    lol, you can wire them however you want, don't pay attention to that other guy. you can either make the subs 8ohms and parallel them down, or 2ohms and series the pairs up to 4. now, have you tried the other pair alone? also, it is possible, that you actually accidetally wired them to 1ohm, or up to 8ohm bridge? are they all in phase, and not inverted (assuming they all fire foreward to the same airspaces, not 1/2 inverted) have you checked ohms with a dmm?
    Please don't turn this into a pissing contest. If you wire your subs in series, the subs do not receive the signal at the same time, it may only be a slight difference, but it causes the subs to hit slightly out of phase reducing the output of your system Learn something before you just tell him to do it. It is simple elelectronic circuit theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

With multi-driver sub systems, which often feature dual voice coils (DVC) on each driver, the level of wiring complexity can be enough to turn-off even the most adventurous of car audio do-it-yourselfers. Fear not though, for we have compiled wiring diagrams of several configurations for dual voice coil (DVC) drivers.

Please note that when wiring multiple drivers it is recommended that series connections between drivers be avoided at all costs. This does not include series connections made between voice coils on the same driver. For more information, please consult our dual voice coil tutorial.

Additionally, if you have an idea for a wiring configuration and you do not see it here, chances are you should re-think its implementation (in other words, don't do it). You will more than likely find that the results will be less than optimal.

In case you do not want to believe scientific law. Then you can go to the JL wiring tuturial (part of which is copied above), and look to see what kind of connections are best.
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161 . Class is dismissed.

Phoenix Risen is online now OG.... Original Ginger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

telling him how to wire things is only going to do so much, if he is trying to show a 2 ohm load to a 2 channel amp that is 4ohm stable when bridged he is going to have a problem.

end of story.

R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast