Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Reload Thread: Looking for a single sub or a pair of 12s to blow away my CVRS

IonRL205 is offline DJ h4z4rdes IonRL205 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Looking for a single sub or a pair of 12s to blow away my CVRS

Well I put my CVRs in today and they're alright I guess, but wanna get louder. Probably go with a single sub setup so I can get a ported box. Don't want a sub that sounds like crap though, has to have good SQ. Right now theres a 5 cubic ft sealed box in the trunk, and it just barely fits in so I'd have a box with about those dimensions.

Hell even a pair of 12s would be fine if I have the room for a good ported box, just want to get louder than what I have. I guess my budget would probably be ~$400.

I'm running the MB Quart ONX1.1500D so i'd be running 1500 @ 1 ohm

Was looking at the DD 3515 or the AQHDC3. People have said the AQ doesn't have as good sound quality, but would the 3515 be a nice upgrade in a ported box?

Headunit - Pioneer DEH-P8300UB
    Subs - None
    Sub Amp - 2x Crescendo 3kwp
    Front Stage - Polk Audio db651 Coaxial
    Front Amp - None

Quote Originally Posted by zako View Post
    Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

dragonrage is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Looking for a single sub or a pair of 12s to blow away my CVRS

Neither of those are going to have great sound quality. Not that I'm saying that they will be one-note fart makers or anything, but they are not intended for SQ and will not deliver SQ. They will definitely get louder, though.

Personally, I would recommend a single Exodus Audio Tempest-X2. It's a 15". It will blow those 12"s away in sound quality. And it will get loud. Not as loud as those you listed, but louder than what you have. 4-5cuft is good for it.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Selling/Trading soon...
    Ebay: ddfromma | Heatware feedback: ddfromma

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Well the CVRs sound pretty good, just wanna get louder and still have good SQ. They are the 15s btw

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Most properly done 15 inch subwoofers are not suited for car audio use simply due to box size requirements.

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I know what I'd put in that size box with that amp and it would blow those cheap Kickers away ...in SQ and low end lol

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Liquid Bass is offline Midwest Militia

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm just gonna save everyone the trouble.

Get some sa 12s

system 1:
    Car:04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Sub: Tc Sounds 3000 quad 15
    Amp: Audio Pipe Ap1500.1
    Head unit: Eclipse AVN7000
    Big 3: 1/0
    System 2:
    Car: Gf's Pontiac G6 GT
    Sub: Orion HCCA 12.4
    Amp: Audio Pipe Ap3000d

6. Thanks crownvic97 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

And what would that be?

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

lionfamlee is offline Premium Member lionfamlee is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well if you like the CVRs sound quality then the two you mentioned initially will fit the bill. They will def sound better than the CVR's and def be louder with the right power. If you are gonna run the same amp (same wattage) and go with a single sub set up then enclosure design is going to be important. What model of the AQ are you referering too?

I am from the Old School Audio era. I collect vintage car audio; I have roughly about 40 plus amps, 20 plus subs, dozens of sets of mids, highs and components, 14 eqs/processors, and numerous other old school equipment. I have several old school jewels amongst my collection. I have also collected some nice Japanese and German made audio while I lived in Japan and Germany. I do bring the new school as well with my six Memphis Mojo's, two AudioQue 3500.1D, RF Power 30001BD, Sundownsubs, etc...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

The HD series.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

lionfamlee is offline Premium Member lionfamlee is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So your looking at the AQ HDC315-A? Many people say that they can do more than rated. With your MB Quart Onyx you will only be able to decently push one AQHDC.

I am from the Old School Audio era. I collect vintage car audio; I have roughly about 40 plus amps, 20 plus subs, dozens of sets of mids, highs and components, 14 eqs/processors, and numerous other old school equipment. I have several old school jewels amongst my collection. I have also collected some nice Japanese and German made audio while I lived in Japan and Germany. I do bring the new school as well with my six Memphis Mojo's, two AudioQue 3500.1D, RF Power 30001BD, Sundownsubs, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lionfamlee View Post
    So your looking at the AQ HDC315-A? Many people say that they can do more than rated. With your MB Quart Onyx you will only be able to decently push one AQHDC.
    WRONG.

His one amp would get him MUCH louder with a million of them than with one of them. He wouldn't be pushing any of them to their full potential, but simply adding more cone area is already going to give you more output even at the same total system power. 3dB for every time he doubles the amount with the total power kept equal. 6dB higher maximum output capability if he doubles up on his amps.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Really I'm just wondering if I have any options for a single setup in like say a 4ft³ box that would outperform my two CVR 15s in a sealed box in loudness and retain the same if not better SQ. The lows are a plus too, since I mainly listen to dubstep.

Subs - None
    Front Amp - None

Phoenix Risen is offline OG.... Original Ginger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrage View Post
    WRONG.

His one amp would get him MUCH louder with a million of them than with one of them. He wouldn't be pushing any of them to their full potential, but simply adding more cone area is already going to give you more output even at the same total system power. 3dB for every time he doubles the amount with the total power kept equal. 6dB higher maximum output capability if he doubles up on his amps.
    that 3db rule is a myth. it comes from home audio, and the way it actually works is double power and cone area to gain 3db. please dont spout misconceptions.

and as far as just adding cone area, i hate to break it to you but your going to hit a wall rather quickly with that thought. cone area is not the only factor when moving air, the excursion is just as important, and if the subs are only moving 1/8th of an inch then your not going to move much air.

op. if you want to go with a single sub, either of the ones you mentioned will fit the bill perfectly. you could also look into the IA death penalty, or the DC lvl 4 XL.

R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Risen View Post
    that 3db rule is a myth. it comes from home audio, and the way it actually works is double power and cone area to gain 3db. please dont spout misconceptions.
    No, it's not a myth. Go play with WinISD. Look at the "SPL" graph, not the transfer function.

The myth is that some people are saying you gain 6dB of output.

Phoenix Risen is offline OG.... Original Ginger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrage View Post
    No, it's not a myth. Go play with WinISD. Look at the "SPL" graph, not the transfer function.

The myth is that some people are saying you gain 6dB of output.
    winISD is based off theory, anyone with a and iq more than double digits knows the simple fact that it is not exact.

what shows up on a computer screen and what happens in the real world are often 2 totally different things.

just an example, with my current setup entered in winsid the spl chart says i will be doing around 120, when im doing 144.5.

you can listen to a computer program all you want, ill take real world results, with actual systems.

R.I.P. 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS
    2005 Subaru Baja turbo, build in planing stages.

thevic24 is offline my silence is deadly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OP, the AQ or 3500 will sound very good actually if you put it in a properly designed and tuned enclosure.
    As far as gaining 3db from just adding a 2nd woofer with the same power, well there are may factors with this.

If you have enough power to push 2 subs(for example) then, yes, you *may* gain the 3db. More times than not, if you do not have
    the right power for 2 subs, you will gain more from using just one. There are plenty of examples of people having multiple subs getting a # and then
    switching to less subs with the same power and getting higher #'s,(me included)

Silently stalking you through glass....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast