Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

high power subs

hey im new to the forum...yea im wondering about the high powered subs like new jl's, the new mtx rfl, and new jbl gti. these rms around 600-2000. what type of amp do you hook up to these? i know of the jbl 1200.1 but does that rms at 1200 w or just max there. b/c the jbl gti max's (for a 15") at 5000. so kind of curious. as for the mtx it rms's extremely high. also any pricing info on the new 6000 watt jbl/crown amp? later thanks

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The JBL 1200.1 is 600@4ohm and 1200 @1 & 2 ohms...As for speakers to handle that kind of power or more: JL W7, ID MAX, Adire Audio Brahma, Fosgate HX2 if I am not mistaken. As far as amps that will push the limit Orion XTR 1200/or the 2400 (@2 ohms bridged) Fosgate BD1500, ok I am at a loss now having a hard starting morning..Someone else will have to fill in.

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

crakerhead is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i guess what im tryin to say really is that would that jbl amp ( i like for the price) be good w/say the jbl 15" sub or the mtx as well. which would be better? b/c both are about the same in price

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also if it helps any...im lookin for sq, and would instead of that jbl amp would the mtx 8100 d amp do well w/one of those?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    or would just say 2 12's be of any comp to those? what would be good for the buck? lookin for around 150-200 for each perhaps. i hear the infinity's are real hard hitters. also lookin for sq on these.

stones is offline Senior member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I will answer in seperate pionts-
    The JBL powervalve 1200.1 puts out a little over 1200watts RMS into 1 or 2 ohms and will power two Kappa Perfects or one JBL GTI.
    For SQ with SPL, the JBL GTI will outperform the MTX RFL hands down, the MTX RFL was designed for DB DRAG only and has a frequency response of 50 to 60hz only.
    The new JBL,CROWN 6000watt amp will cost you one testicle and a kidney.
    The MTX 8100 D is a good amp, I rate it as highly as the JBL 1200 and they both have around the same output, its a matter of choice here.
    Infinity kappa's are not the hardest hitting sub out there, I've owned a pair and I can honestly say they sound as pure as driven snow but they don't handle rock that well and they don't hit for crap compared to what i've heard.The Kappa's have a "low mellow" sound to them, and will shake your car, but will leave you desiring more "kick", If you want somthing to slap you in the face and call you daddy try ECLIPSE, they have some serious excursion that enables them to kick like a mule in heat and maintain exellent sq while doing so, the models I suggest are the 8700 series and the 8800 series, if you have the cash these are some great subs to consider, also on my list are Crystal CMPx2 and the Image Dynamics MAX12, awsome subs at a fair price, don't even look at at the JLw7s, their so overpriced it makes me sick and they can't reproduce sounds over 50hz.(really low mellow performance).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you know of anywhere that i can get those subs for cheap? i mean the eclipse's. and would one be in comparison to 2 of the perfects? or i see that the kicker 12" solobarics for relatively cheap about the same as the perfects.

millinivation is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think the new mtx rfls are absolute pieces of ****. one of the shops where i live sells them and all other mtx. i know the shop owner and the week he got them i happened to stop by. he had installed 1 of the rfl15s in a navigator running off 2 directed 1100s and he told me exactly this "do not buy this sub, it is one of the worst i have ever seen/heard before". the guy i know who told me this does not work at this shop he owns it. if the owner of a shop tells you not to buy something from his shop that he would be profiting from dont buy it. he said that he was not impressed at all by this sub. i was there a few days later when the guy with the nav stopped by . it hit but i was not impressed at all either. the guy soon (about 3 weeks later ) went back and bought 4 mtx thunder 8000 12s and ran them off the 2 directed 1100s and they absolutely put the rfl to shame.not to mention them costed a good bit less. i would go with 1 or 2 eclipse Tis. this would be all you need.

jellydime is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In response to the post about how bad the RFL's are, I would have to agree with it when discussing daily driving and music listening, but these were DEFINITELY NOT made for this at all! They are made for the strict purposes of SPL COMPETITIONS and are to be used with very large ported boxes...they are made to be used in very small bursts and only cover a very small (but optimum) frequency band that is strictly for SPL. Most people get the wrong idea about them because they see them in crutchfield and at car audio shops and think it would be perfect to have in their car to bump around town in...shame on these places for decieving our youth!!!!!
    JELLYDIME

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    around how much do the eclipse ti's run for? not lookin to spend more than 200 per.

Closed Thread