Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How good is the 12" idmax sub compared to other brand subs

abercrombie2582 is offline TURBOCHARGED

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How good is the 12" idmax sub compared to other brand subs

Ok, im looking for a new sub to buy in the next couple months for my new honda civic that im getting soon. I was thinking about just getting one sub since 2 subs take too much room. Right now i have 2 rockford fosgate xlcs, aren't bad, but id like more spl and better sq. From what i hear, the idmax is supposed to be the baddest sub on the market for both spl and sq. Now at $449, is it worth it for this one sub, or is their other subs that i should consider? And another question is, what amp should i get that doesn't drain my electrical system?

jellydime is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Those are VERY good subs if you want a nice blend of heavy SPL and some SQ...NICE SUBS!!!!
    Keep it loud!
    JELLYDIME

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    im just getting one, but is it better than getting like a jl w3, crystal cmpx2, eclipse ti, power hx2, infinity perfect, or polk momo? And another question is, is it true that aluminum cones can't go as deep as regular paper cones?

millinivation is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i like the eclipse Ti over the idmax.if you want strictly spl and are willing to give up some sq then the idmax is not the baddest. for spl go with a juggernaut or probably my favorite spl sub the memphis LVS series(15). if you decide to go with the LVS there is only one downfall, that is you may have to take out a mortgage on your house to pay for it. not really but there not cheap at all but boy do they slam.if it sq and spl you want id go with eclipse Tis or aluminums.

stones is offline Senior member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OK listen close here sonny boy I got the dirt right here for ya(ok ok im not that old)
    these subs all have similar output and SQ
    JL 12W7- good sub, needs craploads of mid bass reinforcment(no drum bass), expensive, over all NOT reccomended
    Eclipse 8812.TI-good sub, will cover midbass but blurs small changes in rythm, expensive, overall reccomended.
    Crystal CMPx2-Excellent sub, covers everything, excellent detail and output, fair price, overall highly reccomended.
    Image Dynamics MAX12-Exellent sub, covers everything, excellent detail and output, fair price(the CMP and MAX12 both cost around 400 dollars) works well in small sealed enclosure(1.0 to 1.5cft), overall highly reccomended.
    ADIRE audio SHIVA- Everthing I have seen and heard suggest that this sub kicks ***, and I beleive it, except the cone looks highly suseptible to moisture due to it being made of untreated paper, I would reccomend asking Zane if this sub would be right for your application, one good thing is that it only costs around 125bucks.

As for an amp, I reccomend looking for a class D amp that puts out at least 1000 watts rms heres some good ones.
    Phoenix gold tantrum 1000.1(1000x1 at 2ohms)
    Concept CC-D1200 (1000x1 at 2ohms,1400 at 1ohm, I own one)
    Rockford fosgate BD1000(1000x1 at 2ohms)
    Alpine 1507 (950x1 at 4ohms, class AB)
    JBL powervalve 1200.1(1200x1 at 2 or 1ohms)
    MTX 8100D (1000x1 at 2ohm, highly underrated, stable to 1.5ohm)
    I can't think of any more right now but I hope I got you on the right track.
    OHH i almost fergot- alunimum cones are heavier than paper or plastic cones but still can go as low as them.

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok there are many awesome subs out there. you own a civic so going with something with pure SPL is ****ing stupid. you would need so much dynamat that it isn't even funny. the IDMAX sub has been around a while and they are awesome. me persoanly i have heard praticaly every sub excluding the adire audio stuff and juggy's and any DD. the last 2 i named are strictly SPL woofers. i agree with the one guy who said about the memphis LVS subs. those babies are freaking sweet, the only reason i don't have 2 of them bad boys is b/c my friend can't get me the hook up on those but he has on all my speakers. now with your civic i agree with most people on here either the eclipse Ti's or IDMAX you can't go wrong with either one of those subs.

keep it thumpin,
    adam

jlaine is offline Vaporware

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by stones

ADIRE audio SHIVA- Everthing I have seen and heard suggest that this sub kicks ***, and I beleive it, except the cone looks highly suseptible to moisture due to it being made of untreated paper, I would reccomend asking Zane if this sub would be right for your application, one good thing is that it only costs around 125bucks.
    The shiva uses a kevlar impregnated paper pulp cone, under most circumstances (excluding someone dropping a glass of water onto the unit) there should be no problems running it in-car or with moisture in general.

Any further questions on the design or of it's components, feel free to ask..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nah I never heard that the aluminum cones can't hit as low as paper cones. The difference as far as I understand is metal cones typically have higher power handling but also have higher distortion %. The paper cones (reinforced w/ wood pulp, kelvar, etc.) are lighter thus are more responsive and creating a faster, tighter bass... better for higher frequency bass like around 80 to 100 hz. Of course there are exceptions, but I believe that is a general rule of thumb.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey thanks guys for the response. It seems its down to the idmax and the crystal sub I prolly want to stay away from eclipse just cause they are too expensive. But another question i have is should i seal or port the idmax. Remember, i like having a great loud all around system, ive never ported any sub ever. Plus, im gonna be building a custom enclosure, so i need to know what would be better? Plus, is the directred 1100d another good class d amp for that sub?

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    idmax flat humps in a sealed box ask matt at image dynamics to send you the specs its optimized for sealed.

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok, audiolife i got another question, i know you run that memphis 1000 d on your subs. does it have good sq for being a class d(cause i don't want drain on my electrical system for the idmax), and would the directed 1100d be almost equal to a memphis?

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    both amps are great the dei has a lil more power not much of a diff (300 watts=about .5 dbor so) but that doesnt hurt either...both amps sound pretty good

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Ratamahatt is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Primetime is offline Senior Hoopster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    AND it just so happends that I have a brand new in the box IDMAX for sale, I would sell to you for much less than the $400 your talking about

D

BLAH!!!

Closed Thread