Closed Thread

Reload Thread: In need of advice

CironTizzie is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon30 In need of advice

I have an Acura RSX and I am at college. I need space in my trunk to carry stuff around, to and from home etc, but I want a good system to provide me with some good bass, for less then around 500 dollars.

What do you suggest to me? (I listen to a lot of rap)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You'll probably want to go with one 12", some cheap reliable starter amps are sony, profile. JBL also makes several very affordable amps, that are relatively low priced.
    As for a h/u, you'd probably want to look into pioneer, some of their cheaper models are fairly good compared to other companies higher priced models. As for your sub, you'll probably want a sub that requires little space as possible. You want a good system so I suggest you get a good sub. A good sub can make up what your h/u and amp might lack. If you or your friends have the tools to build a custom enclosure, then you might as well take advantage of that, it can help you cut costs. As for your wiring, don't worry about top of the line. The internet is a good place to shop, you can find killer deals, but you also have to beware of rip offs, or too good to be true's. With $500 I'd probably break it down something like this:

H/U- You can get a decent one for around 150-175
    amp- around $200
    Sub- need a good one around 150
    Wiring, enclosure, etc- depending on your resources you would be looking at about a little less than a 100

But like I said you can cut corners, find good deals, you may even find a good amp for 150, or a good sub for 125.

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    adire audio shiva (1) and 1 jbl 600.1....about 350 online total with shipping

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you think of..

Sony ES XS-L1255G
    12" 4-ohm Component Subwoofer for 150 bucks

Which amp would I have to get for this, Im always confused especially with just one sub?

There is a deal on Crutchfield.com for a QZ Logic Enclosure 20 dollars off. What do you guys think of this?

Do you think I could stick witht he stock HU? I know Ive heard a lot about it not being too good in the rsx, but funds are low , i could put a new one in later.
    thanks

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Shiva is cheaper and better quality..FYI and the JBL 600.1 is $219 on a few different sites.

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

jellydime is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since you listen to mostly rap, I'd recomend a RF HE2...they put out a good amount of bass if you put one in a ported encloser (they're also pretty cheap now)...you can also save a lot of money by building your own box, so if you have any experience in carpentry, I'd concider that.
    Keep it loud!
    JELLYDIME

ixinchnail is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stay away from crutchfield, and Sony for that matter. If you go in to this thinking where can I save a few bucks, you're gonna end up with a system that you won't be overall happy with. You'll need to spend at least $600-700, but, this will give you a system that will last you through college and will perform well.

I highly recommend www.ikesound.com for buying online. I've done business with them 3 times and it was always very smooth. I've heard nothing but good about them.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another option

Thanks for all you input so far guys Ive done a lot of research on what you've said.

I have two 12 pioneers in a ported box on each side with plexi glass in the middle, however, I have no idea how much wattage they require. This box is huge though, one of my friends used to have it in his car and he moved and gave it to me, but i could never do anything with it.
    I am thinking about taking one of these out, and making a smaller ported box for it, with a new JBL amp.

How can I find out how much wattage i need ? ? (they r like three years old, popular pioneers during that time) Do I need to find out the exact, or can I safely assume that a 600 watt amp should suffice?

Thanks
    Last edited by CironTizzie; 04-09-2002 at 07:19 PM.

SKMexiFry is offline ...For a Porkchop, uh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I couldn't tell you the wattage, but I do have a suggestion to your first question. As for a sub, a JL 12W0 and that JBL 300 Watt amp would do nicely. Right now I have a 12W0 with an MTX 400 watt amp and it hurts my head in my '68 Mustang. The 12W0 is $120, and I don't know how much your amp would cost. Put it in a 1.25 cubic ft. box and you will be happy for a long time!

The perfect amount of bass will make you

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JL 12 W0

Hey i took a look and I like that a lot, the enclosure wouldnt have to be too large. I found it for 100.

Last Question!! what kind of amp am i going to need. would the JBL BP300 be enough for this sub?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I just looked up that amp and it would be perfect for that sub. 150 watts RMS going to it would sound good, because thats about how much RMS I am giving mine right now, and it's louder than the 2 MTX T4124's I had before. The 12W0's are very underrated, and Zane along with some others on this forum can vouch for me on this one. With this combo, you will be very happy, I know I am!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks man you have been a huge help !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No problem, just helping everyone one post at a time. I know how the drive to college is, and you just need some good bass from time to time, so have fun!

b16_na is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Another option

Originally posted by CironTizzie
    Thanks for all you input so far guys Ive done a lot of research on what you've said.

I have two 12 pioneers in a ported box on each side with plexi glass in the middle, however, I have no idea how much wattage they require. This box is huge though, one of my friends used to have it in his car and he moved and gave it to me, but i could never do anything with it.
    I am thinking about taking one of these out, and making a smaller ported box for it, with a new JBL amp.

How can I find out how much wattage i need ? ? (they r like three years old, popular pioneers during that time) Do I need to find out the exact, or can I safely assume that a 600 watt amp should suffice?

Thanks
    I remember buying Pioneer 12's about 3 years ago, they were not Premiers nor the IMPPS. If the cone is black with the Pioneer Logo on it, im asumming its the model i had. (No idea what the model number is) But i do recall them being 400peak and 150rms) Hope that helps! (also, it sounds way better in a sealed box)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea

That sounds exactly like them. If i take one out and put t in sealed box, what amp should i get for it?? What about the specs of the box?

Closed Thread