Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: How to repair a foam surround, RD sonance Surround issue

SPLluminator is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How to repair a foam surround, RD sonance Surround issue

Hey guys, ive got 4 15" RD sonances in a wall and right now im only giving them about 4-500rms and theyve only been playing for maybe 2 weeks. Im getting these weird lines on the surround that go like half way around, almost like it is going to split. To give you an idea it looks kinda like someone ran a razor blade right across the top of the surround but it doesnt go deep. Anyone know why this is happening and what i could do to prevent it? Thanks!

I talked to steve miller and he said it was because of playing them cold. Any other opinions?

Whats the best way to fix this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equipment for sale-220A alt, Eminence Delta 10" speakers, BNIB MB Quart Q4.80, (2) IA 20.1's (Newest Version), SI BM Motor w/ Basket, (2) Deka Intimidator G31 Batts, 2 RD Sonance 15's with baskets (need recone).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Refs: Scott S, hornedfrog1985, dsmdan, Newageking, DBboom, R/T Pimp, SQcrewcab, Bumpin Buick, tangelo95, fearof85,
    coma_toast, Blackga, spy, LouisianaCRX, Oxsign, etc...

SPLaudio is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)

Re: How to repair a foam surround, RD sonance Surround issue

you have a subsonic set you make be streching the surrond. the cold dosent bother foam surrond,lol...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

same thing happened to my sa12z...they still work but im just gonna recone them.

SYSTEM:98 silverado blowthru :2 sundown z/ns 12s/sundown saz 3500d
    sundown 100.4/4 seleniums 6w4p/dd tweeters
    xs power d3400/d3100(/knu/mechman 270a alt

refs: jfa1177, ds autosports, midnightg35x(x2), masta-ace, 350zspl, natisfynest, dan45hk, wgsj_fortvalley, infamous_e46, OldOneEye(x2), dbass, kroid777(x2), mr_kebo, sole cal, Toxic Tuan, 5cr4ppy, sacking74, sutherds, Louisiana_CRX(x2) , Louie68(local), manyhobbies , revrider1, 528hz, Jh8909, tristanmay, 5.3 bowtie, sundownz , ThumpinTitan , Jason19(oh well) , tv559, MyTrunkSlamz, sound_around, Ones, rocksolid84, Johnny Law.Lulz, db-r, AmiCreations, loudwhat?, Pillow, loondizie52, bowhunter715,RidnClean,jr711

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

does your surround look like this: this is my sa12 http://www.caraudio.com/forum/wanted...10-d2-sub.html

refs: jfa1177, ds autosports, midnightg35x(x2), masta-ace, 350zspl, natisfynest, dan45hk, wgsj_fortvalley, infamous_e46, OldOneEye(x2), dbass, kroid777(x2), mr_kebo, sole cal, Toxic Tuan, 5cr4ppy, sacking74, sutherds, Louisiana_CRX(x2) , Louie68(local), manyhobbies , revrider1, 528hz, Jh8909, tristanmay, 5.3 bowtie, sundownz , ThumpinTitan , Jason19(oh well) , tv559, MyTrunkSlamz, sound_around, Ones, rocksolid84, Johnny Law.Lulz, db-r, AmiCreations, loudwhat?, Pillow, loondizie52, bowhunter715,RidnClean,jr711

Wingman0121 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

...and that's the reason why I am not a fan of any type of foam surrounds...because they all eventually crack

You can "repair" the foam by applying a thin layer of liquid electrical tape over the crack and it'll seal up, but it looks ugly and you should recone them when you get a chance.

SPLaudio is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    291 Post(s)

foam surronds is far better than rubber. rubber cracks and get stiff over time...

mbrooky is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cake some silicone on em thorshammer style..lol

2010 StreetBeat1 2nd loudest in the WORLD....StreetBeat1 Louisiana State Champ/Record Holder
    dem 10z slappen: http://www.youtube.com/user/01Ranga?feature=mhum
    feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/463100-mbrooky-feedback-thread.html
    http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/itrader.php?u=2848
    buld log: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/car-audio-build-logs-*new*/464899-mbrooky-89-blazer-build-log.html

Wingman0121 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPLaudio View Post
    foam surronds is far better than rubber. rubber cracks and get stiff over time...

Shieeeeet more like the other way around. Never had a rubber that failed on me

sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joe98chevy View Post
    same thing happened to my sa12z...they still work but im just gonna recone them.
    I haven't had any others do that... not in the cold in Russia (lots of SA-12s over there) or in vehicles doing high 150s to 160 dB with them. Are you sure something didn't happen to the sub in transit or otherwise ?

- Jacob Fuller
    - Owner, Sundown Audio
    - Associate, Stereo Integrity

- I DO NOT USE PMs ON HERE -- Please e-mail me!
    - E-MAIL is sundownz@sundownaudio.com
    Simon Eichenberger is THE MAN.

Haunz is offline Packing 4/0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman0121 View Post
    I'd have to agree butyl > foam.

The advantage of foam is that it is lighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
    I haven't had any others do that... not in the cold in Russia (lots of SA-12s over there) or in vehicles doing high 150s to 160 dB with them. Are you sure something didn't happen to the sub in transit or otherwise ?
    just one day all of a sudden decided to take them out and thats when i noticed the crease...im guessing it was rubbing on something. its only on the top of the subwoofer,not all the way around. Im in cali,its not cold over here lol so im sure its not because of that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman0121 View Post
    lol this sounds funny

sundownz is offline Supporting Vendor sundownz is a Supporting Member of the forum!

sundownz is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joe98chevy View Post
    just one day all of a sudden decided to take them out and thats when i noticed the crease...im guessing it was rubbing on something. its only on the top of the subwoofer,not all the way around. Im in cali,its not cold over here lol so im sure its not because of that
    I would say rubbing is possible -- recones are available for them if you would like to recone it.

- Jacob Fuller
    - Owner, Sundown Audio
    - Associate, Stereo Integrity

- I DO NOT USE PMs ON HERE -- Please e-mail me!
    - E-MAIL is sundownz@sundownaudio.com
    Simon Eichenberger is THE MAN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
    I would say rubbing is possible -- recones are available for them if you would like to recone it.
    i emailed you but havent got a price.

SPLluminator is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks exactly like that. I guess im gonna try some silicone or RTV Sealant on them. This really pisses me off if im gonna have to pay 300+ to recone these when i only spent 525 to get them in the first place and ive only played them 2 weeks. I will have some choice words with RD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equipment for sale-220A alt, Eminence Delta 10" speakers, BNIB MB Quart Q4.80, (2) IA 20.1's (Newest Version), SI BM Motor w/ Basket, (2) Deka Intimidator G31 Batts, 2 RD Sonance 15's with baskets (need recone).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Refs: Scott S, hornedfrog1985, dsmdan, Newageking, DBboom, R/T Pimp, SQcrewcab, Bumpin Buick, tangelo95, fearof85,
    coma_toast, Blackga, spy, LouisianaCRX, Oxsign, etc...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast