Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Standing out of the JL Audio crowd, need help!

BoominEclipse is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Standing out of the JL Audio crowd, need help!

First off I'm a newbie in car audio. Now what I'm doing is an overhaul on my Mitsubishi Eclipse and am willing to fork out $1,000+ for a good stereo.

The problem...

I live in extreme northeast Ohio. Around here JL AUDIO, Rockford Fosgate & Kicker is the monopoly since we have limited car audio dealers and the most popular dealer swears by JL only (which irritates me) for subs, others tout Kicker & Rockford; so everyone has those in their trunk and claims there's nothing better out there. Now I'm not bagging JL (don't really care for Fosgates or Kickers), I heard one 15W6 in a friends Plymouth Laser running off a PPI amp and MB Quart for fronts and that was one nice system.

I then went to NW Pennsylvania and a guy from a dealer took me out to his Chevette which had a Cerwin Vega Stroker 18" housed in a box that took the whole trunk. He had a US AMP VLX-400 pushing this thing and it literally made it hard for me to breathe. I couldn't imagine driving down the road with that thing, i was stunned by the massive bass from that speaker. But I loved it!

Now I am learning from this forum some new players I've never heard of in subwoofers and want something out of the norm around here. Would love a Stroker 15" but am not willing to use most of my trunk for a box. But know for sure that a Stroker 15" slams any JL 15" I've heard.

I'm not looking to compete with my system, but am looking to impress since we're big into systems around here ... but also looking for that hellofa stand out system to go along with all of the exterior work I'm having done to the car.

I'm thinking of a Stereo Integrity Magnum D2 or a Resonant Engineering XXX for the sub of choice and am thinking 2 12's or 1 15". I'm thinking of sticking to PPI for amps and MB Quarts (Quarts have the best clarity I've heard so far) for fronts and definately an Eclipse deck.

Would these subs do the trick? I know these are unheard of around here and will be trash talked until I crank them up. The guys especially at the local dealer will chuckle at anything other than a JL until someone proves them wrong (which just about everyone slams freakin' JL's and no one's been able to put a system together that'll outperform that).

I also listen to mainly Rap in the car so I want to hit those lows heavily.

What do ya think? Any tweaking of what would really stand out from the crowd is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Standing out of the JL Audio crowd, need help!

How much room in your trunk do you have? Are you looking for SQ, SPL, or a mix of both? And what does that $1000 include (subs, amps, speakers, HU, etc.)?

You ever been to Rolling Sounds in Bedford? I got my system metered there and they were ragging on me hardcore until they heard it, then the faces turned to :thumbsup

I live in NE Ohio, you're welcome to come and hear my XXX.

Edit - oh yeah, I could also build a set of kick panels for you.

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

BoominEclipse is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You're actually about 45 mins away (I'm in Ashtabula). Go up to Cleveland here and there, mainly to the Flats or Little Italy since friends are there. Never heard of Rolling Sounds.

Ever heard of Sound Advice in Conneaut? That's the JL only dealer I'm talking about. They've managed to convince everyone JL's are superior and it works. No one has anything to prove them wrong.

I'm not sure how big my trunk is or how much room I'm willing to go with a box (I travel alot). If you've seen the trunk of a '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse, well you know it's a hatchback and it has a good amount of space.

The grand I'm willing to spend is just a base amount for everything (can add more as time goes by also). I'll go higher but cost is an object. I'm also in the process of doing major rework to the exterior (wide body kit, rims, shocks, low profile tires, paint job and Ricaro racing seats for the interior). I'd have to see what could actually give me what I'm looking for, for a fair amount of money.

Maybe I should cruise on over to Cleveland to get a first hand sound check on those XXX subs. I'm looking for something that can impress me like the Strokers did.

Basically hard hitting lows is what I'm after. Of course I don't want alot of distortion (which is what I hear in Rockfords). I haven't heard anything that can outperform JL's in that area except the Strokers. Of course I don't meter, I listen by ear and use my cd of choice BassGasm which really pushes the subs. I guess a mix of both SQ and SPL.

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SQ + SPL = XXX

I actually live on the outskirts of Cleveland Heights, about 5 minutes away from Little Italy, and I go to school at Case which is right there as well.

I'm going to be over near your neck of the woods in about 10 days, if you wanted to meet up halfway or something, I could do that.

As far as designing a system, I could do that, but its 4:15AM, so not tonight.

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

Closed Thread