Closed Thread

Reload Thread: ohm for zane

SOUNDz is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ohm for zane

what is it in a sub that makes it 2,4,6,8 ohms etc??? i suppose it's something inside like under dustcap maybe. if you, or anyone else knows, tell me. just curious to know.

zane is offline Bored.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Basically it is the Voice Coil's design and the magnetic field arround it relating to current passing through it. These properties produce impedence or resistance wich in a way, regulates current passing through the coil. The higher the resistance- the smaller the ammount of current that can pass. The lower the resistance, the more freely current can pass. Thus Ohms law:

I = E/R

E = Electromotive Force in Volts
    I = Electrical Current in Amps
    R = Electrical Resistance in Ohms

To better illustrate this:

Resistance can be manipulated internally by the size of the wire in the voice coil, the length of the coil, the space between the gaps in the coil, etc

take it easy,

-zane

Webslave - www.SoundwavesCS.net

"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready."

- Henry David Thoreau

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    oh so now you gotta be using diagrams and pictures....lol i would but i am lazy and personally i would just throw them a book and say have at it......if they dont read it they dont wanna know

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready."

- Henry David Thoreau

Lmyb's is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    zane if you could throw me some books i could read for hours. i just got into car audio about three months ago and i learned about a whole new world of great stuff, and i am all about getting the best sq out of my car and its hard because talking to the instalers at shops they dont help with the sq side of things different people always tell me differents things. it's hard to know who's right and who's wrong. i normally take what people on the board say more than what the salesmen say. because every time i start talking to a sales man and then tell him that i order of the net. they change there whole pitch and dis the net. but who wouldn't i got the perfect componets for 285. 1 year warrenty and at the shop they were 499 that there, say there trying to reap me off. thats is to much of a markup. if i wasn't so high i would prefer to buy from a local shop

HU: Panasonic 801
    Front: Infinity Kappa perfect 6 1/2 componet
    amp: kenwood 320

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    well if you want a good book that explains almost everything you can think of about car audio.....go to your local library and see if they have this book called the Car Sterio Cookbook.....i checked it out about a month ago and havnt brought it back yet..heh....my dog also tore the cover off so its kinda mine now....but its a great book to read if you have time.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    welp there be a FEW ways to do things...the way i do it is have a limited number of speakers..too many clouds things aka theory of super position. the less number of speakers you have set up to work together the better...i say screw rearfill ....get the best upfront you can afford and power them as well as you can...a salesman would tell you would need more speakers (rearfill) cause its an easy sale aka more money...it isnt quanity its really quality remember this young grasshoppers hehe

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Lmyb's is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The salesmen agrued that with out the rear fill music is lost and you dont get a full surround feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    in a live musical performance do they have speakers behind you or is it reflections of sound waves....and i am a salesman and was for awhile -also competed i did well enough to tell any salesman to kiss my .... and all they are out for is a fast buck read about superposition then go play stump the salesman..if he is right he will have earned his buck..if not he will just shrug and pass by you while that knowledge is still with u.....

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Lmyb's is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you so much i can't wait to see. hopefully he knows what superposition is cause he is also doing my install. he just seams pissed that i buy off the net.

Plater is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by zane

Resistance can be manipulated internally by the size of the wire in the voice coil, the length of the coil, the space between the gaps in the coil, etc

take it easy,

-zane
    I understand that you are answering this question in a fairly simple way so the answer is not confusing. But really the rating of the speaker is impedance and is frequency dependent and has to do with the inductance of the coil. The DC resistance of the speaker is usally close to the impedance rating but if measured with an ohm meter it will be lower then the impedance rating. The impedance of the speaker will change over frequency and that is why subs aren't/can't be used as tweeters and also why it is hard to make single coil full range speakers.

No disrespect!
    just didn't want to see the impedance and resistance of the speakers being confused.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    impedence is the resistance of the speaker at rest.(and its given in a tolerance as 2 of the same woofers can be off .1 ohms).and it CAN VERY reactively a great deal i have seen 4 ohm woofer go from 2 ohms to 80 ohms depending on the frequency it was playing.....80 is nowhere near 4 . speakers are nothing more than a reactive ac motor.... instead of spinning like most do they push in and out.........
    Last edited by audiolife; 04-09-2002 at 12:39 AM.

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Plater

I understand that you are answering this question in a fairly simple way so the answer is not confusing. But really the rating of the speaker is impedance and is frequency dependent and has to do with the inductance of the coil. The DC resistance of the speaker is usally close to the impedance rating but if measured with an ohm meter it will be lower then the impedance rating. The impedance of the speaker will change over frequency and that is why subs aren't/can't be used as tweeters and also why it is hard to make single coil full range speakers.

No disrespect!
    just didn't want to see the impedance and resistance of the speakers being confused.
    No offense taken- your statements are correct.
    I neglected to add this previously as I thought it may add a good deal of confusion. Reading my previous post again, I can see that I wasnt too clear on this issue.
    I thank you for the detailed clarification.

take it easy,

-zane

- Henry David Thoreau

Lmyb's is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i have to thank everybody on this forum everyone is great two that i want to tell the most audiolife and zane yall rock. keep the post comming cause everyone is in yall debt and we all should each pay you a total of you 100 dollarseach for your services because the advice is great and i have learned a ton just from yall keep it up guys and thankyou very much god bless you all

Closed Thread