Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: I Blew It!!! Now I need your help!!!

RangerMan is offline Premium Member RangerMan is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I Blew It!!! Now I need your help!!!

Well, I finally did it. Yes, I am sorry to say that I blew one of my Audiobahn subs. Fried the Voice Coil. Well now I am looking to get a new setup, and I am leaning towards a Kicker 12L7 and the Eclipse Ti. I have also been looking at the Infinity Perfects, the W7, Power HX2s, and many more. Well, now I want everyone's opinion. You will play a big part in what goes in to my Ranger next. Keep in mind, that it can't be too deep b/c of the lack of space I have. The other thing is that I want to keep at least one of my 1200.1s. Name any sub you would like, I am open to any opinions but I am an SPLer. The L7 I want ends on ebay in about a day, so reply as quickly as you can. It does not matter if you are Unregistered or a VIP Member, I want your opinion. Thanks to all.

PS- I am looking foward to posts from my knowlegeable friends (audiolife, zane, ramos, Corsica, jlman, phatillusion, mykeys, suckmikehawk, mrray13, natem33 etc.) Your votes will count the most!
    Last edited by RangerMan; 04-06-2002 at 07:25 AM.

Semi Retired SPL Master
    Review Commitee Organizer
    Team CarAudio.com Captain

147.3 Termlab

Stereo Integrity/Memphis/Pioneer/Optima/JL

2003 NSPL Regular Cab Record Holder

Big Thanks to Loyd Lowry and Nick Lemons from Stereo Integrity

jlman is offline Review Committee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like the L7 but since you dont have alot of room you could'nt get the most outta that sub since it sounds best in like a 5cu ft enclosure. I personally out of all of them would get the eclpise best of both worlds then the w7 and then the perfect but the w7 and eclipse cost so darn much you could have 3 or four perfects which would demolish one w7. I also love my crystal mobile sound sub I have yet to see a sub with smoother lows and the sq is really as good as any sub on the market has better sq than a perfect in my opinion agian though they are hella expensive as well comin in at 300-500 bucks most places. I do like the power Hx2s but they are basically an spl only sub which lack so much sq they aren't even comparable to the others but do hit very hard. In the end the eclipse and crystal come in tied with my vote.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Whut's the volume of your enclosures? How much depth do you have?

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

RangerMan is offline Premium Member RangerMan is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by maylar
    Whut's the volume of your enclosures? How much depth do you have?
    The biggest depth I could have is about 8 inches.

Semi Retired SPL Master

147.3 Termlab

SuckMikeHawk23 is offline #1 Laker Hater

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my vote goes to the power hx2s or the eclipse TI's. If you're more of an SPLer, then definetly go with the fosgate. if ur open to opinions, then why not the adire audio shiva? i wouldnt recommend the w7 just because i dont think its worth it, and i dont think u can get that thing to fit in ur car properly. but if u can get that L7 for cheap, then i say go for it. good luck man!

Team Caraudio.com
    2000 Honda Civic Coupe:
    Alpine CDA-7892
    MTX81000D
    US Acoustics USX4085
    Crystal Mobilesound CPE60S
    Crystal Mobilesound CSC60S
    2 E12KD2's
    4.7 cubic foot ported box

AIM: TeamVicious23 and FishermanSteve23

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you have the money go for the eclipse ti's. SPL wise, I think you would be ok with the L7 or the Hx2, and they will put your 1200.1 to good use. I can't really say for sure which would be better, because I have never seen either in a small enclosure. Your best bet would be to do some research, see which has the better performance for your application.
    if ur open to opinions, then why not the adire audio shiva
    Not a bad idea, 125 bucks. I've seen the sheets, and they seem to perform fairly decent in smaller enclosures. If you don't like it, then send it back. Like Zane has said, Mr. Wiggins stands behind his product. I have talked to him, he actually called me about an order I had placed, and he seemed very nice, knowledgable and proffesional. I'm sure if you talked to him, he could give you more of an insight on how the shiva should perform.

zane is offline Bored.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since you are a bassmonkey - The Eclipse, Infinity, and W7 are out..... More of SQ subs..........

I also throw a hefty vote in for the Shiva.... Lots of performance for the price! Only problem you may run into if you go that route is enough air space. How many ft^3 is your enclosure? The Shiva's should clear your 8" Mounting depth ok as well.

The HX2 would also be a decent choice- may have a slight issue with the mounting depth however, if your enclosure is a "wedge style."

Also look into

Orion XTR
    PG Xmax
    Dayton Titanic- More SQ oriented- however, thier response is really impressive, which could be a plus for an SPL install.

take it easy,

-zane

Webslave - www.SoundwavesCS.net

"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready."

- Henry David Thoreau

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really, the Eclipses don't hit hard? I am still leaning toward the Kicker L7. I really did not like the Infinities in the first place. I am looking at the Shivas also now, but do they really hit hard. I have never heard them. Does anyone know where to get a 10" Juggernaut? I have also been looking at them too.

Semi Retired SPL Master

147.3 Termlab

mr.cableboi is offline Pimp Of The Year

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hx2's or L7 if you are more of spl head hehe

RockFord Fosgate owns

blackgeltabs is offline Knowledge is Power

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Though you would get minimal SQ, shockers are great for SPL and they really arent to expensive. The only problem is they can be hard to find.

stones is offline Senior member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A pair of Eclipse 8700's would suprise you, I had a pair of 8712.8's (12inch 8ohm coilsvc) in a dual 1.25cft sealed box wired parrallel to a pioneer PRS-x720 powering them(740watts rms on the birth sheet) they were mounted in the trunk of a 1990 cavalier z24 with the low pass set at 80hz/18db slope- this set up would easily peak over 140db with no distortion or damage to the speaker, they hit so hard that my nasal passages would force shut, the windsheild wipers would come a half centimeter off the windsheild and my steering wheel would violently shake about half an inch-this is with less than a thousand watts and a sealed box-serious performance with great SQ.
    I fully reccomend the 8700's, heres some specks
    sensitivity-88db
    XMAX-.7inch or 18mm
    power-300watts rms/ 600 peak
    enclosure-.8 to 1.3cft sealed(will work in ported boxes but the port has to be around 40inches long)
    price- can be found for around 300 dollars(I paid 300 canadian for each of mine,12's)
    But since you have a JBL 1200, you may not be able to run only 2(too much power/smoked coils),but I have an Idea, picture this- '4' 8710.8 10inch Eclipses, each in a .6 to .8 cubic foot enclosure, I can picture that in the back of a ranger, that would hit HARD AND LOW and 4 8ohm coils in parralel would let your amp see an easy 2ohm load(its stable to 1ohm but more efficient at 2ohms)
    As for the Titanium version- ive done alot of research on that sub an found that it is no where near worth the money, it is completly insensitive to minor changes in low frequency when listening to music, meaning the bass in most songs will sound the same, it needs alot more than 8inches of clearance behind it and alot of the compitition out there can beat it. one reveiw I read put the titanium against Kove, Massive, and the Crystal CMPx2, the CMPx2 was their clear choice for both spl and sq, one drawback though is that the CMPx2 needs a ported enclosure and you don't have the space or the subsonic filter needed for that setup otherwise I would reccomend it.
    some other subs I reccomend
    Adire audio's- Shiva(she's a good sub no doubt about it)
    Image Dynamics- MAX12( needs to be mounted with the magnet out because of its deep motor stucture)
    Audio mobiles-Mass12(Damded good sub, but the guy who makes the subs is a dink)
    All of the subs listed will provide exellent SQ and SPL in sealed environments.
    I can't think of anything else right now, Its saturday, im drinking, the wife won't let out to play *sigh* oh well. ask more Q's and I will think of more.

MR_LOWRIDER is offline junior spl'r

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

reg. cabz

I was in the same shoes for space wise so now i have an ext. cab S-10 instead of a reg cab.I can't picture a decent sub fitting in a truck enclosure(the magnets are usually large).Here in canada rangers go for like $300-$1000 if you want one.I had my seat up pretty far i had a 8" wide box with one 12" sub then 2-10" subs.My buddy had a jeep comanchee with 3-10" subs and his seat was all the way up,I felt it was rediculous and stupid.If you where ever to get in a accedent you better kiss your *** good bye.Any ways try the power hx2 subs or the eclipse if money aint a thing dog.later

SONY CD HU
    JBL GTO 6.5"/1" TWEETS
    JBL 4x6's
    SONY CLASS D AMP
    NO SUB(soon to come)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by RangerMan
    Really, the Eclipses don't hit hard? I am still leaning toward the Kicker L7. I really did not like the Infinities in the first place. I am looking at the Shivas also now, but do they really hit hard. I have never heard them. Does anyone know where to get a 10" Juggernaut? I have also been looking at them too.
    Dont get me wrong... The Eclipse's hit incredibly hard, however, they are not an all out SPL woofer. Thier design was engineered primarily towards SQ.

The Shiva's will go low, long, and hard all at once, and even sound pretty good while doing it. Adire's technology has produced IMO the best SQPL ( ) woofer out there.

The Juggernauts would be an amazing choice. Surprised that I didnt think of them before... My SPL stuff must be slipping- he he!

http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/mmats.html

Right there is your jug!

May have an issue with the mounting depth with that large dual magnet structure though. On the other hand, the 1200W Rms is pretty impressive, as well as the dual 3" Aluminum VC's. May be worth removing the passenger seat for this--Muahauhahaa!

take it easy,

-zane

"The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready."

- Henry David Thoreau

Corsica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Right on Zane. It would be worth it man. make ur passengers ride in tha back **** it!!!

"A man doesnt win a war by dying for his country. He does it by making the other poor dumb son of a beyotch die for his." Patton

No system installed, but getting all the parts together.

J

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Corsica
    Right on Zane. It would be worth it man. make ur passengers ride in tha back **** it!!!
    Could just duct tape them too the roof or hood...........

-zane

- Henry David Thoreau

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast