Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: XXX good enough?

fb4076 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

XXX good enough?

I want a system that is really loud. Right now my plans for the subs are two 15 inch XXX subs, each powered by a Hifonics BX 1500D. I was wondering if that would be a good setup. Also, what would actually have better quality and SPL combination. The 12 inch or the 15 inch. Thanks!

jimmyslide is offline Let me get you a spoon...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: XXX good enough?

If you want to blow the crap out of everything in your ride??? Yeah, that will be enough. That should get nice and loud and in the right setup, almost nothing will have better SQ or SPL. The best woofer out there in my little opinion.

both 12 and 15 will hit. It all depends on the space you can offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

your planning on upgrading your electrical system too right?

Toward the end of January!!(not soon enough)....
    2 RE XXX15's ported
    2 Fosgate 1501bd amps
    Not sure of mids and highs yet...
    200a alternator
    22" spinners
    Car: 93 Grand Marquis

wErd is offline Maker of All Good Threads

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i heard that this would not be a good setup for daily driving.

somekook is offline only 15"s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you have a hifonics bx1500d on each 15" xxx right? if so that should pound. if you only have one bx1500d you should probably just go with one xxx which will also be very loud.

CELLERBR is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wErd
    i heard that this would not be a good setup for daily driving.
    Who told you this??? And WTF was their reasoning?? LOL maybe that it would be too much better then their sub setup LOL...That setup will wang HARD and sound awesome doing it! But i mean if you wanted to save some$$$ on the upgraded electrical sys. you could just go with one Bx1500 and one XXX...Trust me one is retardedly loud!!! 2 would just be rediculous! But if you have the money for the extra sub, extra amp, and beefed up electrical system I say go for it man it will WANG!!!

Representing Microsoft Paint one Signature at a time........

wErd is offline Maker of All Good Threads

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

well, i personally wouldnt want to drive around everyday with 3000+ watts blowing out my ears. but thats just me.

somekook is offline only 15"s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i would.

ten characters

geolemon is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It all depends on several factors, which haven't been given.
    "really loud" to you might not be "really loud" to me, or vice versa.

This setup won't be enough to win big SPL competitions, but in the same regard most people would regard "really loud" as being acheivable with much, much less.
    It depends on your standards, which we don't know.

I could of course assume your standards aren't that high (by virtue of the fact that you are actually posting this question), in which case I'd say "you can get where you want with much, much less"

Likewise, the word "good".
    What do you mean by that?

I would argue (by my standards) that this system would not be "good" for many reasons:
    1) Your electrical system will not be able to keep up with the current draw from two absolutely enormous amplifiers... meaning you can make some severe and expensive(most likely around $1K total) upgrades to your electrical system (which have inherent compromises of their own, even including horsepower decreases), or you can leave your volume down to the point where the amplifiers aren't drawing the extreme current... in which case... why not just go smaller to begin with?
    2) Even if your electrical system could keep up - let's assume for a moment it even has a chance - the resulting power output will create bass so loud that it will overpower your main full-range drivers. 2x, even 4x less power could have the same effect. It'll be so bass heavy as to not leave any regard for SQ.
    3) You are talking about 3000 watts of power. If you can tolerate being inside the vehicle for any significant length of time with 3000 watts cranking on these subwoofers, that's actually a symptom of a serious inefficiency in your system... such as having the subwoofers in enclosures that are too small. In that case, throwing power at them isn't the solution - increasing the efficiency of the system is.

Remember Hoffman's Iron Law, which states the following three items are mutually exclusive in a subwoofer/enclosure alignment:
    1) small enclosure size
    2) high efficiency
    3) low frequency extension.
    You can't have them all, it's inherent, and unavoidable.
    So plan wisely.

All this talk of power is rather ludicrous itself...
    Do you all believe the woofer is so inherently stiff that it TAKES the RMS rating worth of power to drive the woofer to full excursion? The VAS doesn't indicate so, nor does it's BL. My experiences as an owner show me it doesn't... and I never would have conceived it would - it's a ludicrous amount of power.
    In fact, what good would a woofer be, that "needed" that much power to be effective? What would you be gaining by purchasing such a woofer?
    It's simply a thermal rating. An upper limit.
    Efficiency - which is what matters - is FULLY controlled by you, the enclosure designer.

Remember, it takes 4x increases in power to effect only 2x increases in output... but the increase in current draw off your car's electrical system is very linear.
    Plan wisely.

Power is not usually the key, efficiency is.
    And particularly for new enthusiasts whose standards wouldn't approach justifying power of this magnitude, or even 2 of those 15XXX's.

I've had dB levels that cause my rear window glass, and moonroof to deflect a good 1/4", driving my rear view mirror to fall down facing the windshield.... with 400 watts as a subwoofer amp.
    Efficiency is key.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh it is definately MORE then enough!! One 12XXX with one Hifonics Bx1500 (what i have) is more then enough!! I just keep it down for excellent SQ adn wang it to show off...

minx501 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like the sound of the 15's better personally. I hope you have enough space for these, especially if you want a lot of spl, cause they love big ported boxes. I would say 2 15XXX's with 1500watts each (you could easily do about 700watts more a piece) will probably cause you to go deaf over a short period of time, haha. My 1 XXX 15" is enough for me, especially in the car I have, Mitsubishi Mirage 2001.

XXX 15"
    Viper Audio 2500d
    5.4cuft ported
    tuned 38hz

154.2 Linear X

fb4076 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok, well... what would you all recommend, the power upgrades with the engine do not bother me, I am just trying to operate within a $6000 limit... so if it exceeds that then I have a problem. Would you recommend something more like the one 15? I was thinking maybe 2 10's with about 1000 watts each? This WILL be my daily driver. Oh, and yes, loud to me isn't all that much. The loudest I have heard is a 12-inch solo baric L7s in an extended cab ranger. I do not know that watts running to it. Also, I do not want to spend all the money on subs.... what would you recommend to actually be able to hear the lyrics to a song? like what tweeters, midbasses, etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

*Personally* i would go with one 12 or 15 XXX 400-430 shipped (your prefrence) with one BX 1500 285 shipped (ebay). A good set of components....like the CDT HD62 CF's (www.thezeb.com $200 shipped) and a 100 - 150 wrms X 2 amp I got the US Amps USX2100 from www.thezeb.com for 99.99 shipped......then build a good low tuned ported enclsure $40ish finished out...and some wire $50-whatever you want to spen on it... and baboom you got a bad a$$ system......Total cost....... $1075-$1200...

That system will serve you ver well i think and i dont think too many will beg to differ....also you can bank about 5700 bucks!!!!

fb4076 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well... I would like to bank that much But my dad is paying, and to get the 6000, all of it has to go into the vehicle. Does that change anything? Also, anyone know of what would be a good HU, a good DVD player, and a good GPS system, I would want all that to be in the dash pretty much.

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showth...highlight=4000 look at this thread for some good suggestions as that guy had a $4000 budget. id get an alpine DVD player.

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast