Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: Want to trade my 13W7 for better sq

mmouse57 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Want to trade my 13W7 for better sq

2x 12w6 in a ported box 3cf tuned ot 34hz will be some of the ebst sq oyu can get

stangman67 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a w7 shold sound very good... You won't dramatically increase sq unless you spend some serious money/really put time into the design

04 Focus
    4 sa-8
    Solid f2500
    JVC highs amp
    Parts express drivers for high end

REFS
    Sold to: RidnClean, thegreatestpenn, MrChow, Tuck05, whitem1ke88, moo_awn, Ray21, ben031681
    Bought from: Mike465, Shinju (x3), azngotskills, Hazardous0388

mjbailey21 is offline Getting back into it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Might want to look into your box/installation/headunit.

All the subs mentioned are great, but the w7 should be more than enough SQ to your ears.

References:
    HavingFun, Jaxzon315, Moe Lester, sbcaprice305, RickTC, Frito, DarrenE, BiaBia, Mr. Loki, Johnecon2001,Loud-n-Low, Zier

GO COWBOYS!!!!

cx-7heaven is offline The dash don't be silent

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I would be more worried about the "sq" of the 80-20000 hz range, than the 20-80 hz range. Unless you have that sub in entirely too small of a box, it should sound fine. It is capable of moving more than enough air to overpower the comps you have, and is a pretty good sub overall, if a little overpriced for most people. I have a feeling that OP wants a distortion generator, probably cant "hear" the sub

'08 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab
    Head: Clarion VZ401
    Mids: Diamond D9-71 component set
    Subs: Team PSI platform 2 18"d4 in 4 cu.ft
    Amps: Soundstream REF 4.760, Hifonics BXI2610d @ 2ohms(1700 rms)
    refs-here: Spooney, mj-tc, Cleansoundz, rc10mike, kmanian, cozce, Spy, ewoevo, stylez12321, stirfri4202,nihl8ion
    ssa: sundownz, mike@ssa, BKOLFO4
    DIYMA: lashlee, nigel1977, Ibizonacid
    CACO: snyderd758

hzsogood is offline **The Clean South**

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sobe3yourself View Post
    Im only going to be feeding 1500 watts. -_-
    original...

Exodus audio Shiva-X2 or Tempest X2 /// thread

Ref: Zeuslicious -

2 DC lvl3 12's
    Memphis Mc-1000d
    46 hz 146.8 new TL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 DC lvl3 12's
    Memphis Mc-1000d
    46 hz 146.8 new TL

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

None of the subs listed in this thread are better than a w7 when it comes to sq, the best subs in this thread would be a sideways step (probably the exodus drivers, the more affordable AP drivers). Other than that everything else on a technical level falls short, but in a car they will all sound pretty close and it's going to come down to install. If you don't like you w7 there is something wrong with your box, crossover settings, or you simply want somethign that isn't actually sq based (ie more distortion). What don't you like about the w7, unless you answer that your wasting money following the online subs boner trends for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    None of the subs listed in this thread are better than a w7 when it comes to sq, the best subs in this thread would be a sideways step (probably the exodus drivers, the more affordable AP drivers). Other than that everything else on a technical level falls short, but in a car they will all sound pretty close and it's going to come down to install. If you don't like you w7 there is something wrong with your box, crossover settings, or you simply want somethign that isn't actually sq based (ie more distortion). What don't you like about the w7, unless you answer that your wasting money following the online subs boner trends for no reason.
    . That YOUR opinion , cuz why?? you owned a w7? I owned a xxx, an sx, w7s, w6s dc lvl 3's , ID, and tc sounds.. The exosud I listed sounds better than all of them, gets deeper and just as loud with a much smoother bass response.. Ive build enclosures for 10+ years, so I dont want to hear the , "its in a bad enclosure, or its tuned wrong " excuses.. The exosud for the money with the XBL2 motor is just as good and IMO better than the w7..

This is coming from a guy who did a 144 on a TL @46 hz in a trunk car with A W7 ..

Ppl say the w7 sounds hollow, or not "full" .. well i thought they were on crack til I put a 5 CF enclosure in my car tuned to 26 hz with the Shiva and did a 143.4 @ 38 hz

2 DC lvl3 12's
    Memphis Mc-1000d
    46 hz 146.8 new TL

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hzsogood View Post
    . That YOUR opinion , cuz why?? you owned a w7? I owned a xxx, an sx, w7s, w6s dc lvl 3's , ID, and tc sounds.. The exosud I listed sounds better than all of them, gets deeper and just as loud with a much smoother bass response.. Ive build enclosures for 10+ years, so I dont want to hear the , "its in a bad enclosure, or its tuned wrong " excuses.. The exosud for the money with the XBL2 motor is just as good and IMO better than the w7..

This is coming from a guy who did a 144 on a TL @46 hz in a trunk car with A W7 ..

Ppl say the w7 sounds hollow, or not "full" .. well i thought they were on crack til I put a 5 CF enclosure in my car tuned to 26 hz with the Shiva and did a 143.4 @ 38 hz
    Because once a sub is engineered to certain level the only real difference between them is frequency responce which is very box dependent. I've never ran a w7, though I've heard seveal, I've ran several xbl^2 subs, a few well designed underhung drivers as well. Once you get to a certain point it's all about how oud you want to get and how much space your willing to give up to get a desired response curve. Sub-bass isn't rocket science, if he simply switches subs and goes with the standard recommendations he's taking a shot in the dark of sounding better or worse depending on what he's shooting for, which frankly nobody here has any idea because he hasn't told us whats wrong. w7's exhibit little to no mechanical noise (better than any sub I've ever heard in that regard) and have a very good BL curve for using a standard motor topology, it's also got enough xmax and BL to get decently loud while doing it. The inductance isn't the greatest, but again, we dont' know how high the needs the sub to play now do we? Then again this lack of common sense is why half this forum jumps from one sub to the next and is never actually happy.

The exodus drivers are very nice. Probably top on my list of drivers to try outside of the AV15's, (which I just purchased). That being said they dont' necesarily do anything that a w7 won't do and if he already has a w7 then their is no reason to change. If not for the fact I was short on space and wanted as much HFE as possible I'd be using an Exodus driver in my car right now honestly, as they are the cheapest thing out right now that's properly designed, IMO.
    Last edited by T3mpest; 12-06-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    Because once a sub is engineered to certain level the only real difference between them is frequency responce which is very box dependent. I've never ran a w7, though I've heard seveal, I've ran several xbl^2 subs, a few well designed underhung drivers as well. Once you get to a certain point it's all about how oud you want to get and how much space your willing to give up to get a desired response curve. Sub-bass isn't rocket science, if he simply switches subs and goes with the standard recommendations he's taking a shot in the dark of sounding better or worse depending on what he's shooting for, which frankly nobody here has any idea because he hasn't told us whats wrong. w7's exhibit little to no mechanical noise (better than any sub I've ever heard in that regard) and have a very good BL curve for using a standard motor topology, it's also got enough xmax and BL to get decently loud while doing it. The inductance isn't the greatest, but again, we dont' know how high the needs the sub to play now do we? Then again this lack of common sense is why half this forum jumps from one sub to the next and is never actually happy.

The exodus drivers are very nice. Probably top on my list of drivers to try outside of the AV15's, (which I just purchased). That being said they dont' necesarily do anything that a w7 won't do and if he already has a w7 then their is no reason to change. If not for the fact I was short on space and wanted as much HFE as possible I'd be using an Exodus driver in my car right now honestly, as they are the cheapest thing out right now that's properly designed, IMO.

Nice sig

I bet with 2-3 different well built enclosures the OP would find something he loves.. I can guarantee there is a HUGE difference between a JL spec enclosure ( mine was 2.2 CF @ 32 hz ), 3.0 cf tuned to 26 hz and a Mid sized sealed.. IMO the output on w7s is alot better than ppl give credit for, and sound like you said is all build orientated..

I didnt read or else I forgot what the OP said he had for components .. Im gonna LMAO if he has come kenwood 6 1/2s and hes here looking for better SQ

2 DC lvl3 12's
    Memphis Mc-1000d
    46 hz 146.8 new TL

sobe3yourself. is offline lordside gangster

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hzsogood View Post
    Nice sig

I bet with 2-3 different well built enclosures the OP would find something he loves.. I can guarantee there is a HUGE difference between a JL spec enclosure ( mine was 2.2 CF @ 32 hz ), 3.0 cf tuned to 26 hz and a Mid sized sealed.. IMO the output on w7s is alot better than ppl give credit for, and sound like you said is all build orientated..

I didnt read or else I forgot what the OP said he had for components .. Im gonna LMAO if he has come kenwood 6 1/2s and hes here looking for better SQ
    i got some rockford components.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE how my setup sounds, i just feel like it is missing a little something.

anybody have a design for a good box to put a w7 in?

here is a video of what the box looks like
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sWzpVZa7ls

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

bump out of boredom

Chrispy is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Specs of the box?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

W7s are not the easiest to design and tune, because they do tend to like smaller enclosures with less port area..( from what I understand , and through build experience )

My experience with mine will be different than yours as mine was a 12

I built about 6 total enclosures for my w7 and the one i liked best was 3.2 cubes tuned to 26 hz

2 DC lvl3 12's
    Memphis Mc-1000d
    46 hz 146.8 new TL

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast