Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Please help me spend my money right this time. 10" sub

daft_soul is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon9 Please help me spend my money right this time. 10" sub

Ok, I am looking for ideas and suggestions on a sub. I've only had one other sub/amp combo in my car. While the first amp was quality (rockford) the sub was not. I was impatient and ran out and bought a cheap sub and I'm to embarrased to mention the company name. After a few months I ended up killing the sub because I was overpowering it.

I want my setup to last this time. So anyway this is the important information. The car this is going into is a integra 2dr. I have bought a brand new alpine mrp-m500 that I am looking at right in front of me. I would like to use this amp to its full potential running it 2-ohm for 500 watts. I am looking for a 10" sub that will be going into a homemade sealed box for the time being. Later on I may change the box setup...But for the time being it will be going into the box I made. I have $200 to spend on a sub, but would like to stay around $150 if possible.

I am not 100% sure on the kind of sound I want from the sub so I went around to some local shops and a place demoed a single JLw3v3 in a ported box. I was impressed by how clean it sounded and would like to keep that aspect. But I want a tad bit more output than what I heard from the JL. I listen to mostly edm like electro house, dubstep, booty breaks, drum & bass. I also listen to hip hop and rock. I don't have any other listening experience with current model subs besides the JL that I heard in that shop. So hopefully that will help those of you that know about them to recommend me something.

plugitin is offline She Bangs plugitin is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Please help me spend my money right this time. 10" sub

the type of music you listen to would benefit from a good midbass setup...imo

Team DC Audio

Refs: absoluteaudio, rab, walnut, seedubs1, dbeez, -leister-, Louisiana_crx, bubbagumper6, DS Autpsports, Mr.Ronin_2U, lil98cabrio, wone, micah_jones, grinder1989

thegreatestpenn is offline lazy genius

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

what shop was it?

My thoughts are an older RE SE (not the SE/x) or a kicker cvx

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/401249-thegreatestpenn-feedback-thread.html
    2k2 honda civic
    summer build
    audison sr4 on focal polyglass 165vb components active
    soundstream rubi1.2500d on dc lvl4 xl 18
    pioneer deh-80prs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The shop was stereo in dash on north dixie.

For the midbass I have 4 of these oversized infinity 6 1/2s 2-ways all around the car and a old pioneer 8600mp. I have speakers cut off at 80hz so I have no bass! And I haven't had a sub or amp in the car for over a year, its killing me! Once I get another sub I'll bring the cutoff back up to 100hz where I had it before.

Its so tempting to just go out and buy something today since I finally have the extra money but I guess I can find a better deal online and wait for shipping. But I'll wait for some more opinions.

thegreatestpenn is offline lazy genius

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

did you check craigslist? might find a steal on there. I'm trying to think if I remember anyone having some10's. One guy has some bnib cvr 10"s, but I don't think he wants to split them up

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/401249-thegreatestpenn-feedback-thread.html
    2k2 honda civic
    summer build
    audison sr4 on focal polyglass 165vb components active
    soundstream rubi1.2500d on dc lvl4 xl 18
    pioneer deh-80prs

tigerf117 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would recommend focusing on getting some better midbass with a decent interior amp and preferably some 6.5 components up front. Seal/deaden/soundproof the doors. Just my .02c

"Today young men on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-"

"Think for yourself, question authority"

plugitin is offline She Bangs plugitin is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerf117 View Post
    I would recommend focusing on getting some better midbass with a decent interior amp and preferably some 6.5 components up front. Seal/deaden/soundproof the doors. Just my .02c
    this...

Team DC Audio

Refs: absoluteaudio, rab, walnut, seedubs1, dbeez, -leister-, Louisiana_crx, bubbagumper6, DS Autpsports, Mr.Ronin_2U, lil98cabrio, wone, micah_jones, grinder1989

Skullz is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He already has the mono amp. Jacob from sundown has some SI BM recones for 60 + s/h on 10's atm, i have a pair on an m500 at 4 ohm and they are pretty impressive for the price plus its a D4 so you'll get max out of the amp. There are just dozens of other quality subs out there to pick from and if your unsure what to choose just check peoples sig's and see what they run.

Qbenjamin is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have a mint condition Polk SR that I am looking to sell, ygpm...

Sold to Ref's: IonSQL; envengineer; BAD_MAYHEM; oxsign; dvrmstrng; corto; wong05tsx; mrdurden; dirtyg; Cheesemind; gladiator_jai; bumpincrv; nycking23; slikvik; Mr.Ronin_2U
    Traded with Ref's:: Spike_e; jnoel; Sundownz

Stock H/U; AudioControl Lc6i; Alpine PDX-V9; Focal Components & Coaxials; DD 2510; Ported Enclosure; Second Skin Damplifier Pro

What sounds good to you, may sound like crap to me...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just to update, I ended up getting the jl audio w3v3 10" and putting it in my sealed box. The output ended up being just fine once I actually put in in the car. In fact its to loud I normally ride around with the sub on -8 thru -10 unless I feel like bumping then I put it on 0. I can still even put it in a ported box and it'll be louder but I don't know if I want to sacrifice any of the clarity. I need some sound deadening material now.

ascitiesburn69 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Everyone would recommend Second Skin Damplifier Pro http://secondskinaudio.com/vibration...lifier-pro.php
    Thats the best you can get, but reg Damplifier would work or even DP lite.
    However, You may wanna check out RAAmat BXT and BXT II as well.
    http://www.raamaudio.com/index.php?o...hk=1&Itemid=60
    I have regular BXT in my car and it worked wonders.

O and you shouldn't lose quality with a ported box as long as its built correctly for the sub.

HU: Alpine 9887
    Subs: 4x SA10s
    Amp:Audioque 3500.1 at .5

altoncustomtech is offline SQ or BUST

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love how often people ask for recommendations on here and then never take the advice that's given...... it sounds like the JL is meeting your expectations though, I'm glad you're enjoying it... Also, if it is in a PROPERLY built and tuned ported enclosure you shouldn't loose any noticeable SQ.... but i definitely have to agree with the earlier post,
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerf117

-={1998 Chevy Venture Van}=-
    Kenwood KDC-X991
    Hifonics AS62Ci 6.5" Components front/rear
    Sundown SAE-100.4
    Pair of 12" Fi Car Audio Q subwoofers in 4.2cuft NET tuned to 32hz.
    Sundown SAZ-2000D
    REFS -- Bought From: TV559

snoopdan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

You should look into gettin a DDz10" for this application.

just kidding, but some noob ******* would probably eventually suggest it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I understand where everyone is coming from with the suggestions for the components, but I just couldn't see the point in wasting the money I had already spent on the 4x infinity speakers. Plus while I did say I listen to mostly edm I do still listen to rap and other music. While the components would be better at midbass, the sub would still cover those frequencies and lower. Maybe when I get some more extra spending money I can look into them.

Must of you guys giving advice already have all these full setups in your cars though. Now I know this is a stretch but...Hypothetically if someone were to break into your car today and steal just your sub amp and sub you would probably be quick to replace just that stuff. I didn't get my stuff stolen but I had no sub amp or sub. So thats what I got.

As far as the JL yeah i'm very happy with it. My integra is a smaller car so I didn't want something that was to much for the vehicle. With that being said though I let two friends hear the setup since I've installed it. I didn't tell them that there was only 1 10" and let them hear it, then got out the car and popped the trunk and they both had pretty much the same reaction...

"THATS IT!?!?" and "WHAT THE...A 10!?"

Closed Thread