Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Is this a good box for an HX2 12?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this a good box for an HX2 12?

Hello Everyone,

I built a box for an RFD2212 HX2 12 D4 two weekends ago. It is 3/4 ply, not particle board 38x15x15 with a slot port 13.5x31x3. I used the RE enclosure calculator and it seems it should be about 2.8 cu ft tuned to 29 hz. I have this powered off of a Crunch PZI1500.1 mono at 2 ohms. I have 1/0 power and ground. My question is that my box seems to crush the lows but higher bass notes sound almost non existant. For now I have the factory mids and tweeters with a high pass set at 90hz and I have the bass boost on the PZI at 0, Subsonic filter set at 25~hz and the low pass set at about 100hz. Specifically when I play songs like Big Tymers Still Fly, the low low notes slam, but the upper bass sounds very quiet and doesn't hit hard at all. Can anyone help me determine if this is a good box for this woofer?

Thanks,

John

Qbenjamin is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Is this a good box for an HX2 12?

I dunno what the answer to your problem is, but I do know that most people use MDF or Birch to build their boxes. Do you have any pictures of your build? Was this your first enclosure? There are many variables to discuss when trying to figure out why a sub isn't sounding right in a ported box.

Sold to Ref's: IonSQL; envengineer; BAD_MAYHEM; oxsign; dvrmstrng; corto; wong05tsx; mrdurden; dirtyg; Cheesemind; gladiator_jai; bumpincrv; nycking23; slikvik; Mr.Ronin_2U
    Traded with Ref's:: Spike_e; jnoel; Sundownz

Stock H/U; AudioControl Lc6i; Alpine PDX-V9; Focal Components & Coaxials; DD 2510; Ported Enclosure; Second Skin Damplifier Pro

What sounds good to you, may sound like crap to me...

plugitin is offline She Bangs plugitin is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

you are also tuned pretty low...

Team DC Audio

Refs: absoluteaudio, rab, walnut, seedubs1, dbeez, -leister-, Louisiana_crx, bubbagumper6, DS Autpsports, Mr.Ronin_2U, lil98cabrio, wone, micah_jones, grinder1989

gboo559 is offline ^^$1 Car Audio Decals^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

29hz is LOW
    and how high are you talking?

Refs

CA.com
    Bought From: blackmax, Twisted_0912, revrider1, btdickey99, mazda6i07, 919motoring, wgsj_fortvalley, SicAudio
    Sold To: jerrusan0901, 09Alti, {:C:}, Highs on bass, twistedchild420, smokey6, Jh8909
    Traded With: Louisiana_CRX

CACO
    Bought From: Steve Miller, fasfocus00, VertexAudio
    Sold To: aturcotte127317, madmat, 18inchjeepin, Rd4me
    Traded With: Ryan1126

Ebay user name: gbo559 33+
    Feedback Thread: http://caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442577

csu87 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you are tuned to 29hz so that is why the higher notes roll off. if you want higher bass frequencies then tune higher. simple as that

Retired - GMC Jimmy
    SUBS: 2 12" Aqs
    SUB AMP: 1 AQ 3500.1
    150.4 MECA Style
    154.3 USACI Style
    152.1 IASCA Style
    Loudest Unofficial 155.1
    Feedback: MakeshiftAudio, woofercooker, vitveet, jonesy, 2000gator, KickerRex, mathewo, Matt2105, sicaudio, kshutte, coma-toast, RAB, matt2105, jusbloud and more that i cant remember.

juan_caliente is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the responses. I don't have any pics right now, I did use Birch Ply. I thought given the fs was about 23hz, I think, I thought 29 would be good. I do not notice the missing upper bass except on certain songs. I am sure this will be less noticible when I upgrade my midbasses in my doors. I just was suprised at the steep roll off. I have built boxes before, but always sealed. This was my first ported, and I am impressed, playing excurion tests it goes all the way to the bottom without bottoming out. I think the output rolls off at about 70-80hz. Oh and it is in the back of my 98 Blazer, sub up port to the side.

Thanks again for any input.

Closed Thread