Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon10 10",12", or 15" for SQ?

First of all everyone is entitled to their own opinion so respect everyones, please. Civilized arguements are ok though.

I want to just go with 1 subwoofer so save space,money, etc. But i wanted to know what opinions people had on pure SQ...With your reccomended size please put down a subwoofer.
    I can probably spend around $200-$250 (a little flexible).

I listen to a variety of music, mostly rap, but on occasions i want it to be able to handle rock, techno, etc.

Thanks

Brad

GSteg is offline Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 10",12", or 15" for SQ?

a 15" IDQ dual 4ohm in a 2.0 cubic feet sealed box sounds nice..hrm..now who could have one brand new IDQ for sale? :p

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)

he is right, IDQ's are very clean subs, dont need a ton of power either, why not get his, he is a good member, props to Gsteg

if not you could run an Eclipse Aluminum, or Even Infinity Kappa Perfect, its almost as nice as the Eclipse, both are great subs and millionbuy has a sale right now

CarAudio.com mod(original)

lexiphanic is offline eD rocks :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Neither of you have answered the question. Is a 12 inch, 10 or 15 best for SQ.

I think I heard that 15s aren't quite as flat as 12s or 10. Something to do with more dbs in the 50+ area. IDK

CELLERBR is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

10 12 or 15 can all be great SQ subs! IT is all in how you install!!! Hell there are people out there using the kicker solo X 18 as an SQ sub (actually the fellow who is doing so won his first SQ comp!) Anyhow i like 12's that is just my personal opion!
    -Ian

Representing Microsoft Paint one Signature at a time........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i would say in terms of low-end extention, the 15" takes the cake. there is no reason to go lower than that unless u need more space. transient response is virtually the same. the frequency response as a whole depends on the car. you'll get a large peak in a certain frequency if your car resonance peak at the hz as your subwoofer/box does.

size of the speaker has nothing to do with the response. you can control the subwoofer's response by making a box that is suitable for your situation. bigger sealed box will get you a smoother flatter response. ported box tuned lower will also get u a smoother flatter response.

size-nothing
    box-everything

Hello GSteg it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?

lombardo is offline bass massage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HUGE misconception that smaller subs are better. Go on www.adireaudio.com read the tech article on it. I was talking to this car audio guy at a local store, and I was trying to tell him to about some internet companies and that they have 12" and 15" SQ subs. He said "they don't exsist. Think about it like this. You have a small parachute and you're running against wind vs's a larger parachute. which one will slow you down the most...the larger one it's just like that in subwoofer. The larger you get the more sloppier it is" I almost started laughing, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/woofer_speed.htm

2000 black Audi A6 2.8
    stock components
    RE HC15"
    tsunami 1100d (kills kids)
    building a 4^3cuft tuned to mid 30's

some nasty sauce mixed in there.

AIM - fincorny82 2000
    E-mail - [email protected]

LBX2G is offline R.I.P Camofluage

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

acutlly different size speaker do hit different fequency. The box can modify it some but it can not make a speaker do something that it was not designed to do.

FREE Terrelll"peanut" Grayer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

most likely the only thing that will change is the SPL of a frequency, particularly low-end extention. whatever a 10" can do, the 15" can do

of course u can use an EQ to change the response curve. otherwise its pretty much up to the box/car to decide how the frequency response is gonna be like.

but we're talking about 10", 12", and 15" and how their responses differs. of course u can't just change the whole bandwidth. lol. 10" and 15" can have the same response, with the box design that will allow them to do so.

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GSteg
    most likely the only thing that will change is the SPL of a frequency, particularly low-end extention. whatever a 10" can do, the 15" can do

of course u can use an EQ to change the response curve. otherwise its pretty much up to the box/car to decide how the frequency response is gonna be like.

but we're talking about 10", 12", and 15" and how their responses differs. of course u can't just change the whole bandwidth. lol. 10" and 15" can have the same response, with the box design that will allow them to do so.
    hey man are the Q's pretty lightweight subs? im looking for light subs for my next setup, and subs to do an Infinite baffle setup. How loud would these subs get in an IB setup do u think?

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

i would say the larger the sub the better as long as its set up propperly. anyone that says otherwise never heard a great system. now they take up alot of space (imo) but nothing but a 15"+ sub will go as deep with clarity. where most people go wrong with big subs is they put them in too small of box, under power them, x-over them wrong or simply had a leaky box. alot of all time top ten systems ran 15's up to 24's like RC's, mark elderidge, earl wills, mark fukuda....... NOT saying there arent great 10" or 12" systems out there just very few do to the senses what the larger drivers can do
    Last edited by audiolife; 11-12-2003 at 10:42 PM.

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the IDQ's are pretty lightweight. if u want to do an IB install, i would definitely go for the elemental designs o-series.

the idq will work in an IB, but i would rather get the ED o's since they are about the same price and is specifically made for IB use.

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GSteg
    the IDQ's are pretty lightweight. if u want to do an IB install, i would definitely go for the elemental designs o-series.

the idq will work in an IB, but i would rather get the ED o's since they are about the same price and is specifically made for IB use.
    yeah but the O's weigh alot more. And they dont come in 15's.

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how many 15's are u planning to run?

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lexiphanic
    Neither of you have answered the question. Is a 12 inch, 10 or 15 best for SQ.

I think I heard that 15s aren't quite as flat as 12s or 10. Something to do with more dbs in the 50+ area. IDK
    wow touchy, IMO some 15s have now the SQ of the 10s of a few years ago, the technology has gone way up in the development and you can make a 15 sound awsome, check out IDMAX's also

CarAudio.com mod(original)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast