Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How come all ya alls favorit subs are not that advertised.

Jim Boom is offline Physical Sound Waves

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How come all ya alls favorit subs are not that advertised.

Such brands as like RE I never even heard of them till I came to this forum place, and all you people say they are awsome brand of subs, how come they aren't more well known? Or are they?

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: How come all ya alls favorit subs are not that advertised.

Many reasons......none of which have much relevance to anything.

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that's cause they are an internet based company, not in retail shops.

Dealers need to get a profit margin, and the prices that the companies you mentioned are already selling at very low prices as is.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

EarDrummin. is offline Is this my Brahma?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet
    Many reasons......none of which have much relevance to anything.
    Make some more sense?

Boom, when you think about it.. you talking about the companies on the forum right now is making them more well-known.
    I found this forum by simply typing "Caraudio" in google, think about how many people across North American probably do the same.

Audi A6
    Alpine 7897
    MBQuart discus
    JBL bp1200.1
    Brahma 15

AOL: Rav3Cultre
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/eardrummin

B&R Innovation2 is offline www.soundhertz.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because we dont blindly pay high prices...we do research and discover some of the great companies that will never sell in a best buy.

I used to spend a lot of my free time here. It was fun I suppose. Still rocking the 9515 and Better Audio amp haha.

How's incriminator stuff these days?

Jim Boom is offline Physical Sound Waves

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I was just thinking that such a great company should be more out there, then I thought maybe they where pretty new companies and the word hadn't been spread alot yet.

nswartley is offline Down and out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

learn a little bit about business.

not everyone can jump into the car audio business and be like JL. they had to start small too.

-nate

geolemon is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Boom
    Yeah I was just thinking that such a great company should be more out there, then I thought maybe they where pretty new companies and the word hadn't been spread alot yet.
    You might think so, but it depends on how you define where "there" is, when you say "out there", for one...

I see two discrete marketplaces: Internet based consumers, and traditional retail chain customers.
    Similarly, your internet-based enthusiasts are going to read and learn quite a bit from these forums, and other online resources, in addition to the traditional stuff...
    The "traditional stuff" being magazines primarily, and also interactions at shows and competitions, and even (much as it makes me cringe) interactions with local shop salesmen.

Traditional advertising is done through magazines (and for car audio has been limited pretty much exclusively to magazines).
    So why don't these smaller, internet-based companies advertise in the magazines?

There are good reasons.

The traditional way that car audio business has been maintained almost goes against American values - particularly those that frown on monopolistic practices...
    after all, traditional manufacturers want to control where their products are sold, they have the final say on who can become "authorized dealers", and who can't be...
    and they have regional limitations that they establish... namely, one dealer can't be within some typically large mileage range of another local dealer - effectively granting them local monopolies.
    It pays the manufacturer (and everyone in the distribution chain, including the retailer) to do this - it eliminates competition.
    If someone wants to buy one of these traditional manufacturer's products, they have to go to THAT dealer to buy it...
    THAT dealer can charge full MSRP, and not worry about the customer walking out the door and going to the guy down the street... there's no one who can carry that product, for miles. Higher profits for the "authorized dealer"... if you want it, you're going to pay for it. At least that's what they figure.
    And I'm sure you've noticed, your local "authorized dealerships" don't exactly have bargains going on... that's the type of retail environment that they have bred, by nature, with these business practices.

There are typically four types of people that walk into a shop:
    1) Rich guys or kids with daddy's checkbook - they aren't intimidated by price tags, and some of these guys even as newbies get talked into $13,000 worth of install - and sometimes even get taken advantage of... I personally regard these guys under my "survival of the fittest" category. ..OK, I do have a little sympathy...
    2) Enthusiasts of a more realistic income and purchase habit scale factor... who go into a shop often armed with information, evaluate what's available to them, get the full "sticker shock", and go home, discouraged.
    They save, they try to work friendships with the sales and install staff, try to ensure they aren't taken for a ride, and eventually (being true enthusiasts, and figuring they are trapped with no other options) make a purchase, often cash-and-carry for their own DIY installs, although many will also have the shop do the install for them.
    3) Enthusiasts of a more realistic income and purchase habit scale factor... who go into a shop often armed with information, evaluate what's available to them, get the full "sticker shock", and go home, discouraged.
    They feel often victimized, even mistreated (salesman can "carry an attitude"), and begin to pursue their options. After driving long distances attempting to see what the closest [and they are never close] other authorized dealerships are charging, they again go home, discouraged.
    Many of these people discover the online community (that's us! )
    Many of these people end up finding the product the local shop had online, at half the cost - but with no warranty - many are glad to take that gamble.
    Many of these people are doubly happy when they discover online-based manufacturers, who are born primarily to support this online community, who offer comparable products, at the low online prices (or better), and with full warranties.

4) Enthusiasts of a more meager income and purchase habit scale factor... who go into a shop armed with the info that they learned from the guys in the parking lot and down at the flea market... you hear them trying to get reactions from salespeople with lines like "My boy Jim down at the Flea Market said he'd sell me a Boss amp that does 200 x 4 for what you are selling that 25x4 for..."

Let's face it... the "big boys" have been around for years, and have lots of money.
    They have a lot invested in the big magazines, and the big magazines know that.. the big magazines need their advertisers, they simply need the big names, they want to cater to, and keep happy, these big players in the game..
    Don't expect the magazines to be the guys saying "Hey, all... you can get better deals with one of these online companies!" Trust me, THAT article won't come out anytime soon...

On the other hand, the smaller online companies try to build a streamlined, low overhead business model, attempting to provide what these online enthusiasts demand.... quality at lowest possible prices.
    They don't have margins that can justify big full-color, full-page ads across 4 or 5 big-name magazines, or demo cars to send... where? Can't send 'em to the shops that inherently doesn't carry that product....

It's really fundamentally a different business model, a very different customer demographic.

nswartley is offline Down and out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:omg @ that 13k install....that child should be shot.

thanks again for the explanation chris

-nate

EarDrummin. is offline Is this my Brahma?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nswartley
    :omg @ that 13k install....that child should be shot.

thanks again for the explanation chris

-nate
    It was his first time, shame on the shop...

Audi A6
    Alpine 7897
    MBQuart discus
    JBL bp1200.1
    Brahma 15

AOL: Rav3Cultre
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/eardrummin

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like this geolemon cat more and more with every post

I never really inderstood the mentality of local shops. I used to do exactly what he was saying: Hang around the local shops hoping to learn and make friends, and all I ever got for my troubles was a bunch of bullsht brand loyality and quotes from JL Audio's ads. Further more, these guys were so high on themselves and their brands, they were charging MSRP+$45-60/hr for installs....it's enough to make a person sick.

So I got on the internet and found this and a few other forums and was instantly hooked: Imagine a place where there are tons of people who all like different brands and aren't too good or too secretive to help you out when you have a question....simply amazing. I've made more and better friends here than I could have ever mad hanging out at the local shop.

I'm getting a little taste of ecommerce myself now with my little box building venture, and everything geolemon said is true. I build these boxes because I love doing it, not because I'm trying to get rich. I hold down another job and do side work as a taxi driver of sorts for the trucking company that my dad works for. As an online retailer, I realize:

1. Customers don't want to pay a high price when they already have to tack shipping charges on there.

2. My customers could go to a local shop and have their work done, so I have to provide a higher quality product at a lower price. My reputation rests on the quality of my priducts, and all it would take to ruin this reputation is one dissatisfied customer.

3. To me, this is a passion, not a business. I don't need to tack a $60/hr price tag to my work because I actually enjoy doing it. The best paying job I ever had before this was $12/hr from Wal-Mart Distribution, and if I can make that kind of money doing what I love, I'll be one happy camper.

Online retailers are far more eager to plese than local shops. They're far more friendly and will go out of their way to make you feel satisfied with their product. I tip my hat to the owners of RE, eD and Adire for this, and I plan to model my business practices from what I've seen from these guys.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

ParkRat is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I discovered funkypups on this site and those things go booooommm!!

kingpin_jeffie is offline i need a vacation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

paying MSRP really *****

Eclipse 8445|Alpine Type X 137r|Diamond D5 300.2/1200.1|ID 10v.3|

Refs: KARLEON, sephiroth619, SiX, Showrides, angrytrucker78, davidfre21, Relax, Slammed

He who laughs last is usually the slowest...

Closed Thread