Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need some input on a few subs (Yes i DID do a search first)

o0five0o is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need some input on a few subs (Yes i DID do a search first)

I used to post here when i was trying to get my first sound system together. I have a 15 inch Kicker CompVR w/ a Kenwood Kac-729s (I know......not the best amp) I hit pretty well and i was happy with it, BUT then i decided to sell it for two reasons, one being that i needed the money and the second being that i wanted something louder and with deeper bass.

Im thinking of getting maybe a 12 or 15inch Adire Brahma or RE XXX, or Kove Armageddon, im still deciding on sizes because i want to have a box built to specs, but make sure that it will fix in my trunk (I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM)

The only thing im worried about is that if i need to get a 12 inch sub, will i get the same deep bass i got fomr my kicker? Im not looking for much "punchy" bass, but nice and deep. Also, im located in the North suburbs of Chicago and looking for a shop that might possibly have these subs hooked up, because i would like to hear what they sound like before i decide which on i like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Re: Need some input on a few subs (Yes i DID do a search first)

Quote Originally Posted by o0five0o
    I used to post here when i was trying to get my first sound system together. I have a 15 inch Kicker CompVR w/ a Kenwood Kac-729s (I know......not the best amp) I hit pretty well and i was happy with it, BUT then i decided to sell it for two reasons, one being that i needed the money and the second being that i wanted something louder and with deeper bass.

Im thinking of getting maybe a 12 or 15inch Adire Brahma or RE XXX, or Kove Armageddon, im still deciding on sizes because i want to have a box built to specs, but make sure that it will fix in my trunk (I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand AM)

The only thing im worried about is that if i need to get a 12 inch sub, will i get the same deep bass i got fomr my kicker? Im not looking for much "punchy" bass, but nice and deep. Also, im located in the North suburbs of Chicago and looking for a shop that might possibly have these subs hooked up, because i would like to hear what they sound like before i decide which on i like.
    brahma and xxx are good to start with.in a grand am,if im right,you can only fit about 4 cubes in there or so.A 15 brahma or XXX will be VERY deep.Kove is a lot of money from what i have seen,so i dunno their exact prices,but i know they is bank.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds good, I also should have added that id like to start competing in SPL competitions, maybe start off in amateur series or something like that, but also like something to bump to as a daily driver. Im guessing that this is hard to achieve, which is why im looking to make sure the box will fit in my trunk and push enough air to let me compete in an SPL competition. To me, winning isnt everything, but it would be nice to know that im up there with the big boys

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sounds good, I also should have added that id like to start competing in SPL competitions, maybe start off in amateur series or something like that, but also like something to bump to as a daily driver. Im guessing that this is hard to achieve, which is why im looking to make sure the box will fit in my trunk and push enough air to let me compete in an SPL competition. To me, winning isnt everything, but it would be nice to know that im up there with the big boys
    personally,id take the XXX cuz i dont know anything much about kove and if you blew a coil or busted a spider i dont know what theyd do and how much a recone would cost.But RE is cool about recones and its only 100ish or so,im not certain.but yea,XXX or Brahma will get loud daily,and in comps.

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i would get the XXX for sure....

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

lombardo is offline bass massage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by capone28
    i would get the XXX for sure....

agreed (10 drr)

2000 black Audi A6 2.8
    stock components
    RE HC15"
    tsunami 1100d (kills kids)
    building a 4^3cuft tuned to mid 30's

some nasty sauce mixed in there.

AIM - fincorny82 2000
    E-mail - l0mbardo@hotmail.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, im thinking about the XXX now, i emailed RE to ask for pricing, but i my **** e-mail isnt working right now. So would a small box make it sound well and be enough for an SPL comp? Also what kind of amp would you recommend for it? I can get a 1200 watt Power acoustics for $140, i dont know anything about this amp, are they any good or are they another legacy or pyramid?

BulldogSr04 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dont go with that amp. It doesnt push nearly enough as you will need. Look more into the Hifonics BX1500, that seems to be that amp that it likes and I would think thats about the cheapest you can go. (~285 shipped off of ebay)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yeah, im thinking about the XXX now, i emailed RE to ask for pricing, but i my **** e-mail isnt working right now. So would a small box make it sound well and be enough for an SPL comp? Also what kind of amp would you recommend for it? I can get a 1200 watt Power acoustics for $140, i dont know anything about this amp, are they any good or are they another legacy or pyramid?
    a small box does sound very well.Andrew has the XXX in a 2^3 sealed box and i was utterly amazed and the 15 hit cannibal corpse,i could hear each distinct note,needless to say,i was amazed.you can also throw it in a ported box as small as 3^3 but NO less.a bx1500d is perfect for this sub.It seems to be the budget/XXX amp of choice.It gives nice power and it will still get the XXX loud.In the sealed box it seems to hit quite low and it still gets VERY loud.I cant say which box got lower,my 6^3 @ 34hz or 2^3 sealed,but from what i can remember it appears as the sealed got a bit lower,or at least sounded better doing it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, so thats a big NO on the power acoustics. Are there any other amps that would be good? What about the JBL 1200.1? Or a Jl audio 1000.1?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Ok, so thats a big NO on the power acoustics. Are there any other amps that would be good? What about the JBL 1200.1? Or a Jl audio 1000.1?
    jbl would be nice.for the same amount of money you can get 300 more watts and a sub sonic filter (SSF) and that will help you when you port your box and whatnot.Personally i would choose hifnoics,its cheaper,more watts,and you get a SSF.jl 1000/1 NO.its 1g retail,and its stupid,and it confuses me hahha,but you can get more watts cheaper,maybe not as quality,but my hifonics hasnt given me any problems.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds good, that would have been my last quesiton, but whats a sub sonic filter? Might sound like a stupid question, but i dunno....

Closed Thread