Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: instead of building from scratch, why not...

justchillin is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

instead of building from scratch, why not...

i was thinking about building a enclosure to go behind my rear seat in my 2000 civic si...but since i have no experience in this and very little room to work on that kind of project (i live in an appartment) i had another idea...

wouldn't it be alot easier to buy a standard box for my 2 subs and then build a custom encloser around it strictly to get the look i want...that way i won't have to worry about fiberglass, or building to a specific internal volume....i would basically be building a cabinet around the box...

is there any reasons not to do this????

thanks,

mike

2000 Civic Si (shopping for system now)
    Infinity kappas 62.5i

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    when you say custom enclosure what do you mean??? kinda confusing since you say you dont want to use fiberglass and what not....

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i mean buy a box to hold both my sub with the correct internal volume for those subs...then basically build a box to go around it to fill up the opening behind my back seat...

i want to be able to see the subs when i have my back seat down....but i don' t want to be able to see into my trunk....

this way it looks like a custom job (which would cost me $800) but would be ALOT cheaper....

Infinity kappas 62.5i

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    ohh ok well i suppose that would work...kinda like tricking everyone into thinking you have a customer enclosure....not a bad idea....as long as they arent looking at it from the rear...heh....good luck

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    actually i would build it around to box so it really would look like a custom job...

now i just need to find out what type of enclosure i can use...

Infinity kappas 62.5i

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Hmm I was thinking of attempting an elaborate custom install (with no experience) and your idea is intriguing. Instead of building one huge enclosure for my 3 perfects, maybe three smaller boxes, stripped of their carpet, and built within an enclosure with the look I desire. That way, as you said, it would not be neccessary to measure the volume yourself. If you do attempt this keep us updated on your progress.

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    ohh ok well i suppose that would work...kinda like tricking everyone into thinking you have a customer enclosure....not a bad idea....as long as they arent looking at it from the rear...heh....good luck

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sounds stupid

if you are going to build a custom inclosure then build a custom enclosure. if you are going to use a crapy factory box that if you have any decent of a system it will rip the boxes apart then do that. you do know that boxes you can buy at most stores will literally rip apart b/c of the air movement if you have a lot of power. anyway don't do that set up if you have any respect at all for your car's system. besides making a custom box isnt all that hard at all.

keep it thumpin,
    adam

audiolife is offline WhAt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: instead of building from scratch, why not...

Originally posted by justchillin
    i was thinking about building a enclosure to go behind my rear seat in my 2000 civic si...but since i have no experience in this and very little room to work on that kind of project (i live in an appartment) i had another idea...

wouldn't it be alot easier to buy a standard box for my 2 subs and then build a custom encloser around it strictly to get the look i want...that way i won't have to worry about fiberglass, or building to a specific internal volume....i would basically be building a cabinet around the box...

is there any reasons not to do this????

thanks,

mike

for all this trouble just build the **** thing

Sony Mobile ES C-90 Audison Bit-One
    Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    first, i'm not looking to build the most powerfull system i can, i'm looking for a nice system with good sound quality, so i don't think i'll be ripping any boxes apart...

second, i live in an apartment so i don't have a garage or anyplace to work on this kind of project...

also, with the semi-custom job i was talking about i can just install my subs in the box and then later when i have time i can close off the opening behind my back seat to get the look i want with a few pieces of carpeted MDF secured around the box to make it flush...sound pretty easy to me...

and i will have a decent system...just because i don't want to spend the time to build a custom enclosure doesn't mean i have no respect for my system...i'm obiously not looking to build the same kind of system as you what the **** do you care???

whatever, if anyone has anything constructive to add i would love to hear it...

Infinity kappas 62.5i

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    you have to cut the mdf to "fit" anyway then capet it what is wrong with cutting 6 pieces of wood? anyhow if you are going to "buy" here is one that looks good http://www.subzeromfg.com/
    just don't be putting any whinning posts on here about how to get your woofers to sound better because you want to vent that box or re size it to get different sound lmao or deaden it or reseal it
    Last edited by audiolife; 03-31-2002 at 12:35 AM.

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

blackgeltabs is offline Knowledge is Power

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Originally posted by justchillin
    first, i'm not looking to build the most powerfull system i can, i'm looking for a nice system with good sound quality, so i don't think i'll be ripping any boxes apart...
    There dosent that settle it, screw a custom and got to www.speakerhole.com and buy a prefabricated box. Look at Manufactures Rec for the sub then match it up to a box at speakerhole. Then order it and it will come to your apartment. Look no mess no thinking and its probably just as cheap if you dont know what your doing.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i don't see what the big deal about my idea (after all it was only an idea) it was just a question...i got the impression from reading other post that building a custom enclosure meant alot work and using fiberglass (which as a already said i don't really have the space for)...if i only need to "cut 6 pieces of wood" and nail them together than maybe that is what you should have posted instead of "just build the **** thing"...

oh, and i don't f***ing whine about anything, but if i do have anymore questions don't worry about answering, i'd rather get answers from other (possibly less experienced) members of the board than a smug ***hole with a chip on his shoulder...

thank to those who try to help the newbies without the attitude...

Infinity kappas 62.5i

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    lol whatever flake i simply asked why not just build it it isnt that hard wtf you fail shop class? then you get sh*ty fine but if you do buy a prefab at least make it good. cheap prefabs are just that, cheap. speaking from expirence and helping others, i just dont see the point where something as easy as a box (cheap as well) would want to be scimpt on...bad box = bad sound . besides that if you would research more you would find most lumber yards would cut your mdf into the peices you need then you simply put the box together 12"x12"x12"=1728" or a cubic foot so stop thinking its "hard" and just do it. you do it once you'll know what you are doing each time you want to do something different with it. its not rocket science even though some want you to think it is....nuff said.
    Last edited by audiolife; 03-31-2002 at 03:25 AM.

Audison LRx 3.1 MT
    Hertz HSK 130
    Mid Bass ?
    DB Drive K5 15
    Kinetik 1400HC
    avital 2200 alarm
    dynamat extreme

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no i didn't fail shop, i'm actually pretty good at woodworking, but as i said i was under the impression that there was fiberglass work involved (which i don't really want to do, nor do i have the space/tools)....and i don't remember saying that i WAS GOING TO BUY A PREFAB BOX, i only asked a question about an alternative....but instead of trying to be helpful and simply saying "you know if you get a lumber yard to precut the wood for you all you have to do is put it together", you got a attitude and if you read the entire post you would know that many of the things i said weren't even directed at you but at bumpin_blazer who really started this whole thing...

Infinity kappas 62.5i

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast