Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Are Sony subs good or bad. Kid at school thinks they are the best in the world.

Nickeyboy006 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are Sony subs good or bad. Kid at school thinks they are the best in the world.

Well I have a kid at my school who thinks sony subs are the best thing in the world. I want to know what others think about these subs. Personally I think they are junk. Please tell me what u think.

jrmax is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Never heard any cept best buy and wasnt impressed I know there are better subs for the money and I would never buy them personally.

2 12inch type R's
    crunch p4125(soon to be replaced)
    sony xplod cdx-ca700x
    hatchback dual chamber box
    96 5speed firebird(not a great ride but for now I am perfectly happy)

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pieces of crap

the sony XPLOD subs are the biggest pieces of crap i've ever seen or heard. first of all why in the hell would anyone EVER want a plastic coned subwoofer?? name 1 good plastic coned subwoofer and i will back off on that subject. 2nd my friend put 3 XPLOD 10"s in his gallant running off of a rockford fosgate 1000.1bd amplifier. sounded horrible, nothing like it should have. then he took my advice b/c he works at best buy and switched to 3 HE2 10"s and it freaking pounded. couldn't handle my car but still pounded. the sony subs are big pieces of crap. go with something else. hell i would rather run some jensen's then sony's. YEAH RIGHT just kidding but still they ****.

keep it thumpin,
    adam

fangz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hav'nt had any experience w/ sony subs, but if they are anything like sony amps or their 6x9's I would never even take a glance at them. Biggest mistake in my car audio life -(getting sony explode 6x9's and a sony explode amp). I blew a fuse every 3 sec. with the sony amp at 4 ohm, I went back to MTX and hav'nt blown a fuse yet pushing 2200w at 2 ohm.

XplodX is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have a Moblie ES Model Sony Subs and I love em. I cant say much for the regular xplods though. My friend had one and it died after only a week. But I am very impressed with all of their Mobile ES. Good for the money

Pioneer Speakers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    my friend put 3 XPLOD 10"s in his gallant running off of a rockford fosgate 1000.1bd amplifier. sounded horrible, nothing like it should have.
    I gotta disagree about that one. I hooked up 2-xplod 10's in a truck, underpowered them, and they hit pretty good. I'm not saying they match up with RF or any other top brand, but they aren't bad for the money. If you try to make them do more than they are capable of, then yes, they will sound like crap, just like any other sub. Given the right sized enclosure, those subs will perform fairly decent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

still they **** balls!!!!!!!!

gotta disagree about that one. I hooked up 2-xplod 10's in a truck, underpowered them, and they hit pretty good
    ok man what kind of power did you run?? he didn't overpower those subs at all. in fact they are deisgned to handle a quote "700 watts max" a piece. that makes for a lot of power to handle but they don't. he had a 1 farat cap. on it as well running about 1100 out of that amp. split that to 3 10"s you get no more than 300 a piece after the bridge. that is rms dude, so try and tell my what now?? those sony's are big pieces of crap never heard any nastier sounding subs in my life, except jensen. the mobile ES however is a pretty decent line of subs and speakers not to knock them. just knocking those horrible pieces of **** the sony Xplod subs.

keep it thumpin,
    adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had them running on about 250 rms apiece. What kind of enclosure did he have. The setup I did gave them about 1ft/\3 apiece. At first they did sound terrible, they were in a box that wasn't quite big enough, so I built a new enclosure for one, and it was louder than both subs had been before. I'm not saying they are great subs, but for the money they aren't bad, you can get a decent system out of them. You got your opinion, I got mine, that's all. If you think you are gonna get the performance you would from alpine or infinity, then of course your not, that's common sense.

kingpin_jeffie is offline i need a vacation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    not knocking the subs seeing how ive never tried them but i personally dont have a lot faith in audio eqiupment that i can pick up at my neighborhood best buy or curcuit city

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what's wrong with best buy and circuit city?

....but i personally dont have a lot faith in audio eqiupment that i can pick up at my neighborhood best buy or curcuit city
    ok so your saying that no rockford subs or amps are any good?? considering the fact that you can pick up some HE2's or soon some both HX2's and power HX2's so tell me what's wrong with those?? you can win comps. with them bad boys. oh and circuit carries infinity and polk and mtx your gonna knock those 3 good products now?? how in the hell you gonna knock 4 different companies that you can win comps with man?? you obviously don't know your car audio.

keep it thumpin,
    adam

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Re: still they **** balls!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by bumpin_blazer

ok man what kind of power did you run?? he didn't overpower those subs at all. in fact they are deisgned to handle a quote "700 watts max" a piece. that makes for a lot of power to handle but they don't.
    well i dont want to make you sound stupid....but 700 watts max....doesnt mean crap......ive seen an amp that was like 200 rms boast that it was 1000 max.....so the thing that would really matter is the rms power that was sent to the subs...usually the max is about 2x the rms....so we'd be looking at about 300 watts for 3 subs so aprox 100 watts a piece.....hmmm.....and as for the xplode 6x9's...depends on the model of them you get cause i had some previously and i had them hooked up to my amp that put out 150x2 and i couldnt blow them or anything they sounded pretty good in the box i had in my truck....so before you go knocking all sony explode and such....just realize they are not the best but they are not the worst....they are pretty good for the amount you pay for them.....ok....im done w/ my gripping session now...heh.....good luck all

kingpin_jeffie is offline i need a vacation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey no need to get hostile

no im not knocking any of those great companies im just saying that i would rather purchase my equipment at an actual car audio shop instead of a large chain

and i had no idea that RF was out in best buy/circuit city maybe it is where your at but it sure as hell isnt here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    and i had no idea that RF was out in best buy
    I run their ad in the local newspaper every week, and not a week has gone by that they didn't have RF on sale. Being that the same ad is sent out through out the USA, that would probably guarantee that most of your BB's carry them. So what's your excuse for knocking MTX. Let me guess, you didn't know CC carried them, or Polk, Infinity, Alpine, etc. It's simple, don't open your yap, if you don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you got it wrong

.....so the thing that would really matter is the rms power that was sent to the subs...usually the max is about 2x the rms....so we'd be looking at about 300 watts for 3 subs so aprox 100 watts a piece
    ok goodyforme you sound like a **** fool just to let you know. those subs handle 700 watts max A PIECE so if you figure the total for all 3 combined it would be 2100 watts so 1/2 of that would be wow 1050 watts. hey learn your car audio before you bash me next time dude. i may be only 17 but i know my ****.

keep it thumpin,
    adam

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    like i said the max doesnt matter....its the rms that matters...how much rms can they handle???? and please dont treat me like im some kind of newbie to car audio.....ps...i wasnt trying to bash you, just trying to inform you that the max doesnt matter....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast