Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: I just got n00bed :( :( :( - need help

Stealth is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just got n00bed :( :( :( - need help

Yesterday night, i was in my Cadillac, my friend has a 1998 chevy silverado extended cab, with a pioneer head unit (almost the same as mine)... two JL Audio W3 V2 10" subs in the back under the back seat facing up powered by a JL audio 800 W amp. his back speakers are powered by a 400W JL Audio amp, and his front speakers are powered by the head unit.

i'd expect to put out a lot more bass than he did, so i pulled up next to him, popped my trunk (he had his two front doors open and his back door too), and let my two JL 15" W3s powered by my Memphis 1000W D-class amp do the talking. but they got 0wned by his 10s. you could hardly hear my 15s at all unless you stood a long way away or if you actually stuck your head in my trunk. OK he has a much better mid and high setup than me, but i didn't want that, i just wanted my bass to "out-bass" his, and it didn't...

Obviously i need something better, but not something i have to pay $900.00 for one sub. i want something that is so powerful up close that you actually feel sick, like you can feel it vibrating inside of you, you know that feeling? i've got the 1000W memphis amp, if i get one more of them, and two more subs, and sell my 15s, then i can get something good i think. what's a very good subwoofer that will pound the ground up close, and somewhat far away too. any ideas?

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Re: I just got n00bed :( :( :( - need help

I was about to mention some different subs, but what are you willing to spend?

CarAudio.com mod(original)

TIGERFOR2 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You should have keep your trunk closed. Your trunk has to be sealed for them to pound. I wouldnt sell the 15's if I were you.

Mercureie is offline Stay in S-C-H-O-O-L

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    what boxes were the subs in? this could be one of ur problems. don't jus run out and get new stuff before doing some tuning and adjusting.

Car:'02 Nissan Xterra
    HU: Premier DEH-4400
    Comps: SPR-176A type-r 6.5's
    Comp amp: Zapco reference 200
    Sub:Re 15HC
    Sub amp: Hifonics Bx1000
    Box: 2.5 cuft sealed

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what box was the guy using? are urs the W3v2 or the first ones. This can make a difference but mainly i think it was all in the install here. I blow away plenty of people with 1 12 of 2 12's or 2 15's with my SE's. Its all in the Instaaaaaaaaaaaaalll

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The original boxes i had had three massive ports in the back, and they didn't sound good at all, so i got custom boxes built, and the guys that put it in are professionals, they do competitions and stuff, so they built two custom boxes to fit and everything.

i tried opening my doors and closing my trunk, but you can hear even less (if anything) like that. because at the back by teh back windshield i haven't cut a hole or anything for the bass to come out or anything, it's still sealed with the 6x9s there.

EDIT: My friend just has a custom built closed box UNDER the back seat, and the subs are facing up right below the leather seat in the back... there's like an inch of clearance between the subs and the seat.

Mercureie is offline Stay in S-C-H-O-O-L

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    try takin out the 6x9's to start. u can even make a new rear deck but i think takin out the 6x9's will help alot. jus wonderin, what does ur set-up sound like in the car compared to his? like sittin inside.

Car:'02 Nissan Xterra
    HU: Premier DEH-4400
    Comps: SPR-176A type-r 6.5's
    Comp amp: Zapco reference 200
    Sub:Re 15HC
    Sub amp: Hifonics Bx1000
    Box: 2.5 cuft sealed

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well when i sit inside his car his bass is obviously clearer than mine (he's got 10s right behind the front seat and i've got 15s in the trunk, with a back seat in the way :p)... but in mine you can hear the bass easily, it's mellow, and deep, but it's there all right. one thing though, in his car if he turns the sound all the way up it actually hurts, you know, the bass is so heavy it actually hurts in your chest. on mine i can get that if i open the trunk half way and stand right outside it, but otherwise if i'm in the car i can't get the bass that jarrs the body.

i've got my subs facing each other, on either side of the trunk... i've tried numerous other ways (i.e. both facing forward, both facing back, both against each other facing away from each other (to the sides of the car), etc.) but when they face each other it seems best, although i wouldn't have thought so. also remember they're not at 90 degree angles at each other, they're actually both facing slightly up.

would doing anything to the setup help (capacitor(s)?, new boxes? etc.) or should i just get new subs!

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: I just got n00bed :( :( :( - need help

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth
    would doing anything to the setup help (capacitor(s)?, new boxes? etc.) or should i just get new subs!

Thanks

well aparantely uve done almost everythihng posssible to make the setup as good as possible. Dont get a cap that wont help. I say u just move on from the W3's. To be honest w3's sound good and all but really dont get loud compared to other subs in its price range. w3's are like 200-300msrp a peice arent they? Id go with some Ed A's or Some resonant engineering subs or just start a new setup its up to u.

-Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels

hotown is offline resonant fanatic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

man, i heard my buddys setup(2 w3s 15"just like you. and i had one re se goin on a jbl 600.1, and i really kicked his ***. u should really look into the se's very reliable, and powerful

97 cavalier sport INEEDSOMEBASSasap
    system:
    CLARION VRX755VD
    All Stinger 0ga wiring
    Stinger Circuit Breaker
    Tsunami Lightwave lighted rca cables
    WTB
    4ch amp to power door speakers, around 300-400w
    jl w3 or jl w6 series sub

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hotown
    man, i heard my buddys setup(2 w3s 15"just like you. and i had one re se goin on a jbl 600.1, and i really kicked his ***. u should really look into the se's very reliable, and powerful
    yup i have 2 tens and i showed up one of my friends with 3 W3 12's

-Eclipse cd8053

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

any more suggestions? 15s have GOT to be good... they're in all the rap songs and stuff no but seriously, there's got to be something i can do. i don't want to spend a fortune on better subwoofers... if i sell the ones i have, what could i get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth
    any more suggestions? 15s have GOT to be good... they're in all the rap songs and stuff no but seriously, there's got to be something i can do. i don't want to spend a fortune on better subwoofers... if i sell the ones i have, what could i get?
    we just said RE SE's pound hard....

2 15's with about a 6 cube box tuned low for SQ or high for all out SPL. no W3 willl come close to ur system. Oh and lemme add SE's sound very good as well.

-Eclipse cd8053

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so it might be my boxes. i'll lookinto that.

also, what's the best way to get bass heard outside the car when i want to pop my trunk, etc. ?

hotown is offline resonant fanatic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

let me add reasonable price on the se's

97 cavalier sport INEEDSOMEBASSasap
    system:
    CLARION VRX755VD
    All Stinger 0ga wiring
    Stinger Circuit Breaker
    Tsunami Lightwave lighted rca cables