Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Build box or no?

B0mberman is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Build box or no?

I just got the 2003 RE SE 12" sub and I'm very happy with it. The only problem is that I odn't have an enclosure to put it in...

So I was wonderin what I should do? It is more recommended to be ported, but since this is my first sub, im gonna just get a sealed to compare them both...

So I'm just debating whether i should build my sealed box or just buy one? I saw one at ebay for about 40 total and it fit the recommended specs for a sealed enclosure for the sub...or should I just build my own? Opinions please! thanks

B 0 M b E R m A n

naughty#9 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    what tools do you have? do you think you will build more boxes in the future? do you have space to work and store your tools?

there are a lot of variables that play into the decision. a lot of people will tell you to build your own box because someone in the past told them to build their own box, but there ain't no shame in having a prefab box.

a lot of people respond to threads like this with an answer like, "you could build your own box for 20 bucks."

....bullshit...

there is a lot needed to make a decent box:

if you buy a piece of 4'x8' mdf, that's 15 bucks
    carpet is another 15 if you get decent stuff from parts express, which i would recommend
    a good circular saw is 50 bucks
    a good t square is 15 bucks
    glue if 5 bucks
    screws are 5 bucks
    a drill/screwgun is 50 bucks
    a bit to predrill and countersink your screwholes is 5 bucks
    a jigsaw or router to cut your hole is 25-100 bucks
    it's nice to have some cutting guides, which are about 35 bucks.

that comes out to like....um...carry the two.....oh yeah, that comes out to like a lot more than a prefab box. so if you don't plan on building many boxes, and you don't already have these tools, i would say buy a prefab box. if you think you will use the stuff enough for it to pay for itself, then buy your supplies and build your own box.

i say this because i made the mistake of trying to build my own box without realizing all the hidden expenses that are necessary to build a nice box.

hope that helps.

swimfreak26 is offline I am cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you have all the tools, I would say why not give it a try....but if you're going to have to go out and buy a bunch of stuff, just go prefab....they're really not that bad.

Fuc, how come when I copy and paste **** it never gives me the cool blue thing in my sig. Sonofa*****withhotredtabascosauceonmynutz!!!!!
    References: g30ffr3y,Cjjackson85,Pearldrummer, Rattlebrain, Harrison486, excelerater, ax600, XtrmAudioCncpts

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naughty#9
    what tools do you have? do you think you will build more boxes in the future? do you have space to work and store your tools?

there are a lot of variables that play into the decision. a lot of people will tell you to build your own box because someone in the past told them to build their own box, but there ain't no shame in having a prefab box.

a lot of people respond to threads like this with an answer like, "you could build your own box for 20 bucks."

....bullshit...

there is a lot needed to make a decent box:

if you buy a piece of 4'x8' mdf, that's 15 bucks
    carpet is another 15 if you get decent stuff from parts express, which i would recommend
    a good circular saw is 50 bucks
    a good t square is 15 bucks
    glue if 5 bucks
    screws are 5 bucks
    a drill/screwgun is 50 bucks
    a bit to predrill and countersink your screwholes is 5 bucks
    a jigsaw or router to cut your hole is 25-100 bucks
    it's nice to have some cutting guides, which are about 35 bucks.

that comes out to like....um...carry the two.....oh yeah, that comes out to like a lot more than a prefab box. so if you don't plan on building many boxes, and you don't already have these tools, i would say buy a prefab box. if you think you will use the stuff enough for it to pay for itself, then buy your supplies and build your own box.

i say this because i made the mistake of trying to build my own box without realizing all the hidden expenses that are necessary to build a nice box.

hope that helps.

Or when you go to buy the wood you could have them cut the panels for you. That way you would only end up with minor trimmimg

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Closed Thread