Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Old school subs... does nothing realy sound as good... or is it selective amnesia?

teamquakecelica is offline Vanilla Gorilla

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Old school subs... does nothing realy sound as good... or is it selective amnesia?

Really....

Remember the day when it was all soundstream Exacts and SPL's, JLW6's (dual 6ohm), PPI flat pistons, and Kicker solobarics (round ones) and an occasional Rockford power or punch DVC? Is it me or do NONE of the new woofers sound like these dinosaurs? I remember a completely different sound... don't get me wrong I like alot of the new stuff but... I have the itch to hear that old-school sound... Do I just remember it differently and I'm crazy.. or was it actually different??

2001 DB drag world finals S3-4
    155.xx it was pretty loud for back in the day!

Originally Posted by big@b
    Because Kicker kx's are rated a rms. rms and watts are not the same. So kicker kx2500.1 is x 2 = 5000.

Haunz is offline Packing 4/0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Re: Old school subs... does nothing realy sound as good... or is it selective amnesia

You are crazy..

Lots of more modern subs sound just as good if not better then those you listed..

hatemonger is offline funded*by*soros

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Old school subs... does nothing realy sound as good... or is it selective amnesia

Quote Originally Posted by teamquakecelica View Post
    Really....

Remember the day when it was all soundstream Exacts and SPL's, JLW6's (dual 6ohm), PPI flat pistons, and Kicker solobarics (round ones) and an occasional Rockford power or punch DVC? Is it me or do NONE of the new woofers sound like these dinosaurs? I remember a completely different sound... don't get me wrong I like alot of the new stuff but... I have the itch to hear that old-school sound... Do I just remember it differently and I'm crazy.. or was it actually different??
    subs, on a whole, are better today. it's nostalgia that makes it seem they sounded better.

2003 chevy s-10 ext. cab
    hu: jvc kd-avx1
    precision power 356cs components
    front amp: infinity 475a
    sub: diamond audio d6 10d4
    enclosure: 1.1 cubes ported tuned @ 31hz
    sub amp: JL G1700

DBBOOM is offline DWN4MYN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Really....

What about the M&M Godfather's and the Kicker C and F series, those are the old school! Dont think those are old school yet!

Natural selection at work.

DBBOOM is offline DWN4MYN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kcdc30 View Post
    subs, on a whole, are better today. it's nostalgia that makes it seem they sounded better.
    Yeah, probably lot of truth to this.

Natural selection at work.

Beerdrnkr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

I bought a pair of round kicker solo-barics 15's to test this very same theory out. I'm sure there are better subs now but you didn't need much power to move the old school subs like you do for newer subs.

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Really....

Every sub you mentioned is easily eclipsed in performance by even modestly priced subs today. In terms of linearity, distortion and linear output.....it's not hard to find a dozen reasonably priced subs on the market that are superior in every category.

Like someone else said....it's probably a combination of nostalgia and inexperience (back then) that makes you think the old subs sounded better.

Also depends on what type of system you are listening to. Output has increased dramatically aswell. If you spend all of your time listening to high output, high distortion & poorly damped "street beater" setups that sound like *** but get loud.....yeah, compared to those type of systems the older setups probably did sound better.

teamquakecelica is offline Vanilla Gorilla

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBBOOM View Post
    What about the M&M Godfather's and the Kicker C and F series, those are the old school! Dont think those are old school yet!
    You must be older than me...
    I don't remember that gear..

on topic: ****... I guess I woun't do an old-school setup..... way to bust my bubble

2001 DB drag world finals S3-4
    155.xx it was pretty loud for back in the day!

Originally Posted by big@b
    Because Kicker kx's are rated a rms. rms and watts are not the same. So kicker kx2500.1 is x 2 = 5000.

Grinder1989 is offline Sundown Audio Dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why not? That was my original plan. I wanted to run all US Amps and a single 15.

North Coast Improvements, Mobile Audio Division. Sundown Audio Dealer Akron, OH. Need BNIB audio? PM me for details.

By: N.G.U Graphics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

An old school system would be awesome. Grab some old Hifonics Cheater amps and Some old Soundstream subs. I am old school all the way. Low Power and Great sound. I would love to do an all old school hifonics system but im doing an all new school hifonics system,

Grinder1989 is offline Sundown Audio Dealer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Worstenemy453 View Post
    An old school system would be awesome. Grab some old Hifonics Cheater amps and Some old Soundstream subs. I am old school all the way. Low Power and Great sound. I would love to do an all old school hifonics system but im doing an all new school hifonics system,
    Low power? What made you come to that conclusion? Lots of old school amps put out a ton of power..

North Coast Improvements, Mobile Audio Division. Sundown Audio Dealer Akron, OH. Need BNIB audio? PM me for details.

By: N.G.U Graphics

revrider1 is offline Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I do miss some of the old subs, I remember my 10" Petras from back when. Old Kicker Comps, black cone with gold lettering.

jdawg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

You must be older than me...
    I don't remember that gear..

on topic: ****... I guess I woun't do an old-school setup..... way to bust my bubble
    you can still get the old kicker subs from credence

refs
    woc47, nigro013, defconx3, louisiana_crx, bld 25, supa_c, lancer1978, sxkicker89, 310w6, more, i forget

dan7532 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ez2hotwire is offline I'm EZ Jr - hence "EZ2"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

these subs (which I currently have away in storage) were Best Buy's top subs back around 1998. I remember these subs hitting real hard in my friend's car. Rosy i think.

"100% LOW BASS - The richest bass in the world"
    References from caraudio.com and sounddomain.com: DjDilliodon, Rich00, TwistedMovistar, ghettobass, Vitveet, eleddiem67, OkMariner, str8tjacket, OhioMike1101, slimdawg, shadowlessman, buffyha, us3, cooper1123

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List