Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sub making strange sound

my sub is making a sound like someting like a plastic bag is hitting against my aluminum cone.... my other sub sounds great but this one has a great problem with this sound i took it out and everything looks good....... i move it up and down and almost sounds like the spider is crackign can someone help me out?

Thanks alot

willll is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what kind of subs? what kind of amp? could you have been giving it too much power? it could be blown.

loserpunk is offline hapbahdasindot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yea if you push on the cone and it's hard to move and theres a cracking then it's prolly a smoked VC ... but if thats not it, it could be tinsel leads hitting the back of your cone...to solve that use weather stripping or somethign similar .. put in where the lead hits the back of the cone and that should do it...but it sounds like you burnt a coil.does music still come out or just a faint crackling? if no music then Bye Bye woofer

er1kkull is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh still got music still gets real loud . its a eclipse aluminum cone rms is 500. it is bottomless. the amp is a kicker kx 800.2 i got it wired for 2 ohms which is about 400w. its still easy to move like its always been... i dont hear it when i push down only when i push up from underneath its the loudest around the surround.... i got a rub mark on it but its not nearly through the surround.......... ok for sure just listen with everything off its noise around the surround........... i dont know but when i turn on music it still gets loud but with annoying noise like i have a bag on the cone.............
    Please help i luv u long time.............

[EDIT] forgot to tell you my other sub is still playing great on the other channel which gets the same power (at least it should )
    Last edited by er1kkull; 07-16-2003 at 06:36 PM.

loserpunk is offline hapbahdasindot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Silica is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you forget to take the packaging off the sub when you bought it

I have a 12" Sub that kinda sounds like that, it still playes music, and it sounds good at really low volume but when you turn it up it cracks and sounds like there are small bebee's on the cone. I was told that it was about to fry :/

does it look like the spider is still and about to break? did you get any dust or sand in the VC some how ?

Maybe one of the VC wiring snapped, na wait that would create a short.

Is it grinding when you push down on the cone, with the wall of the motor structure? Maybe its sparking?

Tim

er1kkull is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nah didnt forget to take package off :o yeah it seems like its like the 12" u have. it doesnt grind when you push down .... i only here the noise when i push the cone up real far......... i might have got dust from after i made box i cleaned it out the best i could but who knows........... it seems like old rubber when i push it up it makes like the rubber is stretching and cracking but i see nothing of the sort. the spider the structure everything seems to be in good shape ......... just a rub mark on the surround thats it............ iam going to take the good sub out tomorrow and see if i notice any difference.......... thanks for the help so far but please keep posting any possiblities..............

8. Re: Sub making strange sound

From experience with a rubbing nosie ( and the sub looking up) it could be the center pole has shifted from heat from the voice coil. The heat can cause the glue to heat up. What i have to do with mine is take off the dust cap and tapp in into place. But i dont think you can do this with your subs.

led-sled-cc77 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 Re: Sub making strange sound

hey, if your subs have dual spiders , i have seen where one of them could break lose from the voice coil and make the sub sound sorts like you are saying. it would play good at low volume but sound awfull at higher volume and if you pushed the cone out all the way it made popping noises.. hope this helps........

Closed Thread