Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Help with security system install

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Help with security system install

I know this is the wrong forum, but it's the most read and I really need a reply to this.

I was recently looking around for security systems for my saturn. I had scheduled an appointment with Heroes Custom Car Care in Chillicothe, Ohio to have a low-end viper system put on the same day that my window tint was being put on (july 11th). They were going to charge me $280 for the system itself and the install.

Well, I wasn't quite satisfied having a "low-end" security system put on my ride, but I didn't want to put out $500 for the one that has all the features I want, so I got on eBay and found a DEI Hornet system for $190 shipped. It has remote start, RF paging (if the alarm goes off, my keychain remote starts beeping), and a six-point sensor.....along with about a dozen other really cool features. This system came in the mail yesterday and now I'm facing a huge delimma: Heroes can't install this system because they don't sell it. I went to H&K Sound of Jackson, Ohio and they can't install it either (he said something about it having all external relays and that being a ***** to install).

Now I'm sitting here with a top of the line security system that nobody I know can install. It comes with an instruction manual on how to install it, but they assume that you know the wiring of your car inside out. Here's where you come in (hopefully). If anybody here has experience installing a DEI Hornet or any similar system with remote start, please help me get this done. I have a feeling that I'll need a wiring schematics drawing for my Saturn (a '95 SL1), and I don't even know where to find something like that. PLEASE HELP!

- Donn

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

nismboy6986 is offline the **** technician

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    try pming sentrastyleEMW

JaJay721 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Hornet is not a top line security system. It is one of DEI's many entry level alarms. Any Viper installer should be able to install the Hornet system if they have half a brain. The alarm brain and wiring is practically the same setup as many Viper alarms. In fact you would be hard pressed to tell teh difference between the two brains laying next to each other. The only reason I can see why they won't is because alarms are a ***** to install and since you didn't buy the alarm from them (give them the profit) they don't feel the installation charge and time to install it is worth their time. $200 for that alarm is an average price and it is a decent alarm. Keep looking for Viper security installers in your area and see if someone will do it for you.

I strongly recommend allowing someone else to install the alarm for you. Alarms are like subwoofers... the install is what makes them effective. Not to mention it could take an experienced installer a few hours to install that alarm.
    Last edited by JaJay721; 06-27-2003 at 11:00 AM.

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by JaJay721
    The Hornet is not a top line security system. It is one of DEI's many entry level alarms.
    I know this....but it's a lot better than the POS viper system they were trying to pawn off on me.

The only reason I can see why they won't is because alarms are a ***** to install and since you didn't buy the alarm from them (give them the profit) they don't feel the installation charge and time to install it is worth their time.
    Donnie from Heroes told me that they only make $10 profit on virtually every alarm they sell. Scott from H&K told me pretty much the same thing, only he said $20 profit. All the big cash they make on security systems is on the install itself. Paying for the install isn't a problem. When it comes to protecting my car and it's contents, money is no object.

Any Viper installer should be able to install the Hornet system if they have half a brain.
    At both stores, the guys went thru the contents of the box piece by piece and when they got to a large chunk of relays and fuses, they said virtually the same thing: "This thing has external relays....that's a *****!"

Keep looking for Viper security installers in your area and see if someone will do it for you.
    That's where the real problem comes in: There are only six audio/alarm shops that I know of in the southern half of Ohio. H&K Sound (Jackson), Heroes (Chillicothe), J&S Audio (Washington Court House), Hart Car Audio (Albany), Auto Enhancers (Portsmouth) and Audio Illusions (Lancaster). None of them install DEI alarms. Most of them are tied into Viper, ATS or some off the wall brand. I haven't talked to Auto Enhancers yet, and I wouldn't trust Hart or J&S to install door speakers for me, let alone an alarm.

I strongly recommend allowing someone else to install the alarm for you.
    Yeah....me too! But if it comes down to it, I will have to install it myself.....and I'd really like to at least have some idea of what I'm doing before i start!

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

JaJay721 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can't help you get a wiring diragram for your car, however if you look for car tech forums for your car maybe someone can help you out.

The Hornet alarm is a great value in my opinion. The components of the alarm are pretty much the same thing as a Viper alarm. The only difference being the options you get with the Hornet are slightly different. All can be had with a Viper, but you have to pay extra.

External relays really aren't a problem for most authorized installers. It's definately a *****, but you're paying to have it installed. They should be embarrassed they can't install that alarm.

djjdnap is offline FreakyFreaks ofall Freaks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    why don't you email the company, and ask them about it i'm shure they have a web site...

KArAudio.COM

OMGROFLHI2ULOLLERZTITSHAHAHAHASEALEDMTWTFSTFUKTHXB YENO0B
    -Nick

Closed Thread