Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Same DB Level = Same Amount of Bass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Same DB Level = Same Amount of Bass?

I have read several different posts on this subject, but am not exactly sure what db levels equate to. I have read that two subs have more surface area than 1 (all three the same size, of course), which will allow the two to get higher db levels. I have also read that 1 larger driver that has about the same surface area as those same two subs will often produce similar db levels. I know the amount of throw is also important and have seen several of the forum members calculate a driver's output by multiplying their surface area by the amount of throw. My question is about different setups producing the same db level and what people hearing the system will perceive.

Would the same db level, regardless of what setup the subs are, produce the same amount of vibrations and overall bass in a car? Some people around me argue that even if one 15" sub can pull say a 143, that two 12's doing the same number, 143, will shake the car more. I thought that this was a load of crap; that the same DB level with a single or multiple drivers will feel and sound the same. Maybe their theory had something to do with playing different frequencies to get the DB level? I am just too new to all of this stuff to know the answer. I am interested, however, because I want my next setup to have high SPL. I have been looking into Audiobahn because they are cheap and are very SPL oriented. On ebay, there are many deals, and I discussed several setups with Snova, but am now rethinking my tentative decision to get two 12's. If one 15" sub will be able to shake my car and sound just as deep and loud as the two 12's, I can get a much better quality sub for the same price as two cheap ones. So, will setups with the same DB level sound the same and produce the same amount of bass?

PS - Sorry if this question isn't too clear, its Sunday and I'm can't seem to convey exactly what I want to ask .

Steven Kephart is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The same output levels at different frequencies will probably sound and feel different. Also, if one sub has more distortion than another at the same level, it will sound louder. A perfect example of this is at the local competition I went to earlier this month. Everyone outside my car was like, "I can't hear his sub. Is it even on?" And yet I pulled just under a 144. In fact, my stereo doesn't sound that loud compared to others because it doesn't produce distortion. But it still has huge impact.

How much are those subs going for that you were looking at? Audiobahn does seem to make some decent subs. But they always seemed to be way overpriced. I'm sure we could recomend another sub for much less that will be able to get louder. A perfect example of this is Adire's Tempest. Marshal Joyner used to use this 15" sub and consistantly hit 152 dB with only 600 watts. And it was tuned low so when he turned it down, it had awesome SQ. Not bad for a $150 sub.

What kind of vehicle do you have? How much power? How much room are you willing to give up? Is it going to be just for SPL comps, or do you want it to sound good for daily driving as well?

Sony CDXC-90 -- Sony XDP-4000X -- Adire Koda 6.1 -- dual Adire Brahma 10's isobaric -- Arc 1500dr -- Soundstream Reference 300

"We got tired of the "Xmax" wars, so while everyone else is playing with bows and arrows, we went nuclear." Dan Wiggins

FullThrottle7 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, to begin with, I don't actually have the car that the system will be going in yet. I'm hoping to get a 1st generation DSM (Eagle Talon TSI/Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX/Plymouth Laser RS Turbo), which I just found out are supposed to be good SPL application cars. I don't know what makes a car better for SPL than SQ, but it must have to do with the length of bass frequency waves and the curvature of the hatchback. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Talon TSI AWD. I'll be willing to give up quite a bit of space if thats what its gonna' take to get the sub really bumping. Now I know that people on the forum often say that it is bad to have your car bumping to the point where other people outside the car can hear it. I am a responsible person and won't do that disrespectfully, but I would really like this system to be heard from a ways away if possible. There are quite a few kids at school that think they are hot stuff because you can hear their sub from a ways away. One kid in particular that has a couple of Pyramid Imperials is really getting on my nerves. They are in a slot ported box in his CRX and are really loud. I want to be louder.

The subs that Snova suggested out of the ones I was looking at on ebay were the Audiobahn AWC12T. A pair of 12's are going for $130 + shipping, so about $150. There are also several lower models going for around $100 a pair. I had no idea Adire had a good sub in the lower price ranges, I thought that they were up there with ED and RE. The single subs that I was considering instead of the pair of twelves were the Audiobahn Flame Q series. There are quite a few great deals on ebay and I found the 2003 model of the AW1206T for around $130. If the tempest 15" is a good sub that will beat out a pair of 12's, let me know. That sounds like a good deal. That brought up another question, however. Would a pair of Audiobahn AW150Q subs be louder than that Adire Tempest with the same amount of power? It seems like two 15's, regardless of their build quality, should be louder than one. Heres a link to those subs:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18804

That 152 with only 600 watts sounds absolutely amazing! Would it be difficult to accomplish this, or is that guy able to put up numbers like that with everything? Also, that subs seems to have good SQ, which would be something that an Audiobahn SPL setup wouldn't. I'm not going to be competing, but would really like to be noticed at school and be able to beat the heck out of the other kids that have mediocre equipment. For the amp, I'm still open to suggestions. I know its a good idea to wait until I pick out subs so that I'll know exactly how much power I will need. I have been leaning towards either Profile or Power Acoustik because of their low prices and accurate ratings.

Thanks for the reply Steven, and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you really know your stuff, you'll fit in well with the rest of the people here, their knowledge is amazing.

soundcheck is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Same DB Level = Same Amount of Bass?

[QUOTE=FullThrottle7]Well, to begin with, I don't actually have the car that the system will be going in yet. I'm hoping to get a 1st generation DSM (Eagle Talon TSI/Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX/Plymouth Laser RS Turbo), which I just found out are supposed to be good SPL application cars. I don't know what makes a car better for SPL than SQ, but it must have to do with the length of bass frequency waves and the curvature of the hatchback. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a Talon TSI AWD. I'll be willing to give up quite a bit of space if thats what its gonna' take to get the sub really bumping. Now I know that people on the forum often say that it is bad to have your car bumping to the point where other people outside the car can hear it. I am a responsible person and won't do that disrespectfully, but I would really like this system to be heard from a ways away if possible. There are quite a few kids at school that think they are hot stuff because you can hear their sub from a ways away.

I'm not going to be competing, but would really like to be noticed at school and be able to beat the heck out of the other kids that have mediocre equipment. For the amp, I'm still open to suggestions. I know its a good idea to wait until I pick out subs so that I'll know exactly how much power I will need. QUOTE]

Ok dude,

I registered just for this one... We have a competitor in a 1 gen Eclipse. He has 1 Memphis M3 Mojo 15 and 1 MC1000D and in the Modified 0-300 power class (USACi Outlaw SPL) hits consistantly over 145dB (TermLab). If you had MORE power (4000 or more with the Mojo) you could EASILY break 150.

Boom is relative, have you been in a car that breaks 140-142? Its pretty **** loud after that. If you want some professional advice, let me know. We help guys like you (Vengence Boom)... GOOOOOOD STUFF! Email Sound Check

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok dude,

I registered just for this one...
    Only about 1yr and 3 months late

DeepMag1c is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squeak9798
    Only about 1yr and 3 months late
    omg now thats too funny

Vehicle: 1988 Chevy Suburban
    Head Unit: Alpine 9827
    Front Speakers: Massive Audio PX6s
    Rear Speakers: Massive Audio PX6s
    Stage AMP: Uknown(comming soon)
    Subwoofers: 2x 15"XXXs (comming soon)
    Subwoofer AMP: Orion 2500D (comming soon)

bass maniak is offline Team Poundin Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

lmao..........very funny indeed

Chuch AKA Tha Mad Scientist

Team Poundin Sound
    Joker Kustoms
    Boost Junkie Motor Sports
    Street Poetry Productions
    Wreaking Havoc Records

supa_c is offline Abministrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

N00b.
    10 chars.

Closed Thread

User Tag List